PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or superCharger

AlphaQOver
04-26-2003, 03:49 PM
hey, in the next few years i want to invest in a engine upgrade, but i don't know really the difference or the advantages or dis. umm like what is better to get now, CAI or Ram air.. i have a 2002 civic Si. if anyone has any links of moded 7thgens. send them my way. alright thanks, by the way shitty about the snow, i'm in Rainy Montreal!:poosie: I left last night @ 1Am

littledan
04-26-2003, 03:56 PM
ha ha... that's funny that your profile says that you drive a cavalier type r... when i had my ghetto old school cavalier my friend used to joke and call it the cavalier type r... ha... anyways maybe you could look into an engine swap. i think the ep3 guys are swapping in the rsx-s motors into their hatches.. maybe you could pick up the sir engine that is left over for not too much $$. otherwise you could probably put together your own home brew turbo... check out www.homemadeturbo.com

chrisgushue
04-26-2003, 04:53 PM
go to www.7thgencivic.com all the info ud need there

GTS Jeff
04-26-2003, 07:57 PM
i bet an rsx-s swap would be blingin! but i think u will see more gains out of a turbo setup for the civic than s/c

crazy_one
04-29-2003, 01:36 AM
1/4 mile racing go for s/c coz every seconds is important...but driving everyday is good to have turbo.......

sexualbanana
04-29-2003, 02:41 AM
uh oh. u just had to restart the turbo vs supercharger debate didnt u? haha

Dirty_SOHC
04-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by crazy_one
1/4 mile racing go for s/c coz every seconds is important...but driving everyday is good to have turbo.......

Its the other way aroung. The linear power curve of a supercharger is better for day to day driving, While I'd rather have turbo for 1/4.

ramminghard
04-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

Its the other way aroung. The linear power curve of a supercharger is better for day to day driving, While I'd rather have turbo for 1/4.

Right. a turbo takes a lot more tuning and there is more maintenance and relialbity issues with turbos. Superchargers are quite a bit more reliable and work very well as daily drivers. They don't take nearly as much tuning as turbos.

Which one is better is a matter of what the car is being used for.

Ferio_vti
04-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Don't think there's an S/C available for D17 yet. Will a D16 S/C work??

Ekliptix
04-29-2003, 06:01 PM
I'm going to see how my SC looks in the Teg tonight.

I'd vote turbo because it sounds better, and more boost is available at lower RPM.

Dirty_SOHC
04-29-2003, 06:01 PM
I do not believe so, as for the D17 engine is configured backwards from the original D16. Could be modified to work..

B18C
04-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard

Right. a turbo takes a lot more tuning and there is more maintenance and relialbity issues with turbos. Superchargers are quite a bit more reliable and work very well as daily drivers. They don't take nearly as much tuning as turbos.

Which one is better is a matter of what the car is being used for.

I agree with the maintenance part but reliability? A quality turbo is just as reliable as any supercharger. You always get what you pay for.

Why would you say a turbo takes a lot more tuning?

ramminghard
04-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Isn't a car that requires more maintenance less reliable?

air fuel ratio for one. Most superchargers just run a fuel regulator while on turbos there come issues with injector size and fuel mapping.
i don't have first hand experience tuning either but what i have been told and read is that the tuning is harder and it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to do it on a turbo.

Correct me if i am wrong please. Still learning about this stuff.

B18C
04-29-2003, 11:42 PM
The only real maintence thing with turbos is that they usually have external oil lines while all the superchargers that I know of are self-contained units. A good turbo is just as reliable as a supercharger as long as you take care of it. (eg let them cool down properly and those oil lines don't fall off or anything like that).

Tuning is about the same as far as I know. Both can run with just a rising rate FPR and some retarded timing. Both will run better with a standalone system like Hondata or AEM. Turbo tuning may be a little trickier but I think most of that is because people tend to get turbos that push a lot more air than the standard supercharger kits out there.