PDA

View Full Version : Guitar help

happydude
09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
I used to play the drums, though had to sell my kit a couple years ago to pay for school. Now I've got the itch to jam again though I want to try something new and was thinking guitar. Looking for any and all advice on brands that are decent, exercises, websites, general advice, anything at all.

Looking at buying an electric guitar in the near future and could use help on finding something in the range of a few hundred bucks to screw around on until I'm ready to move up to something better. Also, if anybody has a used one lemme know, might be interested :)

rage2
09-21-2006, 03:19 PM
What kinda music are u planning on playing?

happydude
09-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Probably stuff like ACDC, Iron Maiden, Rocket from the Crypt, Oasis, Social Distortion, old Offspring etc...

msommers
09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
If you're just thinking of starting out, check out either the pawn shops or a Squire start package. Neither are expensive and will do you just fine to start. Then you start looking at Gibsons which rule your guitar world and maybe a mesa boogie triple rectifier:angel: But then you have lots of money! ie. 5000+

kerry
09-23-2006, 12:22 AM
I'd get an ibanez but that's just because that's what I play! =)

But you can get realy nice guitars nowadays for cheap.
I mean the Epiphone Les Pauls aren't too pricey and are
very nice nowadays.

If you go ibanez look into SZ series or RG Series.
Those will have a little of a better sound for the Offspring
Maiden stuff.
If you go Epiphone you can get their Les Pauls for not much.
Les Pauls are very versatile for everything.

Oh and you will pay a little more for these, but the resell
will be good as well as the quality over time for when you
start getting better.

rage2
09-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Les Pauls aren't exactly cheap for a first time guitar player IMO. Even the Epiphone ones start at around $600. And Epiphones don't really hold THAT much value. It's the Gibson's that do but those start at $2-3k.

I started out with a Fender Squier Strat, great cheap guitar to start with you can find good quality ones for $100 used or $250 new. They can be hopped up with hotter pickups later on for a great sound... or just wait for the stock pickups to age and start to scream ;).

I personally love playing my Les Pauls now. B16EM1 is right, it's a much more versitile guitar, you can play anything on them, where as a lot of songs don't sound "right" played thru a strat.

finboy
09-23-2006, 10:24 AM
check these out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270032406824

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=515113

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjm62stop.html

etc.

yamaha is also a good option if you can find a nice used one, there are a TON of cheap guitars out there that can be made into great player/beater guitars with a good setup and maybe a pickup swap.

kerry
09-23-2006, 03:58 PM
If you can find a used Epiphone Les Paul, which you should be able to,
you can usually pick it up at a good price.

I really really suggest you get one because of the quality for the
price, I mean I'm a super picky player and used to HATE gibson
but I love playing those guitars now!

three.eighteen.
09-23-2006, 04:51 PM
strangely enough, i havent been able to put down my strat lately whereas a couple of months ago my lp was #1 no questions

Graham_A_M
09-23-2006, 06:22 PM
I play bass, I wouldn't mind playing in a band again, PM me if you need a bassist. I have a few years of experience. :dunno:

Conklin makes unbelievable equipment, I'm ordering a 7 string lefty bass from them very soon:thumbsup:

gpede
09-23-2006, 07:42 PM
If you need a drummer PM me

yee

:poosie:

rage2
09-23-2006, 08:12 PM
we need a bassist and a drummer. I'll be setting up another jam session again sometime in october.