PDA

View Full Version : 1987 BMW 325is I don't want to let go!

irfaan
09-21-2006, 06:32 PM
But alas, it served us well.

I thought I would take a couple more shots at saving this beautiful classic.

A couple weeks ago, it was *my* turn to sit in the driver's seat of the family BMW. My dad bought it almost brand new, passed it onto my brother (served him 7 years), and as soon as he finished law school - straight to me. I don't have words to describe the feeling you get when you sit behind a car as old as you and feel its roar when you shift out into fifth.

That feeling, my friends, lasted two days and one night.

After a quick checkup at the BMW dealership (here in London, Ontario - but Alberta plates representing, baby), and mending a hole in the radiator - I'm on the highway, when the engine just cuts out entirely (as i'm slowing down). At first, I thought to myself, "Did I just stall it in ... neutral!? o_O" Nope - turns out the timing belt snapped and a piston went through the cylinder.

I'm going to start looking for an import auto place in London - any suggestions? All i want is to be able to drive this thing again - what do you all think? Worth it? It's so fun to drive! Easy fix? How expensive? Does anyone know a good place to get it fixed well? BMW will charge me an arm and a leg.

This is about all I know about the car's condition so far - calling up BMW tomorrow to get the service sheet faxed over.

Thanks! irfaan

d.maczko
09-22-2006, 06:41 AM
so the piston contacted the cylinder head?

its too bad, if you brought it over with no rust and a good motor i would have considered it heh.

Weapon_R
09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Not an easy fix, and probably more expensive than buying another one.

irfaan
09-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Not an easy fix, and probably more expensive than buying another one.

What needs to be done?

three.eighteen.
09-27-2006, 12:12 AM
new engine basically, if the body and other stuff is in good shape, m50 swap:drool:

FiveFreshFish
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
:thumbsup:

http://www.willz.ca/images/engineR.jpg

irfaan
09-27-2006, 11:41 PM
What will it cost me? :D

herragge
09-28-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever heard of the piston going through the cylinder in an E30. What most likely happened because of the timing belt snapping (I am about 90% sure) is that you have valve to piston contact because of the interference style engine of the E30's.

Basically you would need to rebuild the head, valves for the ones that bent/broke due to the contact. Pistons would need to be changed/altered. Alot of work for the car if your giving it to someone else.

If you are up to the task, you can put an engine from a newer 3 series, the engien code is M50/M52. Its a simple swap, need some different stuff but it works. And you won't have a problem with the timing belt because the M50 is a chain driven head.

If you want to fulfill your speed needs, you will want to upgrade to the S50. Its from the M3:) :thumbsup:

Good luck

Mike