PDA

View Full Version : Parking Lot Etiquette

sexualbanana
09-21-2006, 09:29 PM
When you or another car are backing out of a stall, who do you think should be yielding?

I had an experience the other day when I was leaving one of the parking lots at the University when I went to visit some old professors.

I was backing out of the stall, my car was probably 1/3 to 1/2 way out of the stall when another car going straight (and moving at what I estimate to be about 30km/h) slammed on her brakes and honked the horn. Now I saw her coming for a brief moment before she stopped but it wasn't by much. Maybe 1 1/2 seconds before she stopped.

With the both of us stopped, she gives me this annoyed 'WTF' kind of look. I stayed still, there was still plenty of room for her to squeeze through but she chose to stay stopped. I stayed stopped because I assumed she was going to try to squeeze through. It took a few more seconds before she decided she was going to be the one to move, afterwhich I recontinued my backing out.

Who do you think is in the right/wrong? Maybe right/wrong is too strong of a position, but I'm wondering at least what would you do in that type of situation? I've seen plenty of people try to squeeze through holes like that, and my interpretation of her horn was that she wanted to continue and wanted me to stop. Or at least she wanted me to stop.

Cheeze
09-21-2006, 09:31 PM
she should have yielded to you and not be a bitch. you were in the right. should have continued backing out like you were after she stopped.

how are you supposed to see her coming up the parking lot when you havent backed out yet? other veichles block the view until your half way out.

just a dumb bitch that needs a pimp slap
:bigpimp:

infected
09-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Unless your car is already more than half out of the stall, you don't have the right of way... ususally.

But if I see them backing out already then I just let them continue.

quikkoop
09-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by infected
Unless your car is already more than half out of the stall, you don't have the right of way... ususally.

But if I see them backing out already then I just let them continue.
+1
From my experiences, thats how it should be done. A driver who is half out of the stall, with a car coming staright through with time to stop should and let them finish reversing. Although I believe the car going straight through does have the right of way legally, so be careful, lots of jerks out there.

SilverBoost
09-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Your situation is exactly why insurance issues usually go 50-50 in parking lots. Because it's so hard to determine who had the right of way. If you were backing into a street from your driveway and ran into her though, you'd be at fault. Even if she was over the speed limit which would be hard for you to prove anyhow. I always assume that when you're backing out or about to enter the flow of traffic in ANY situation, that you have to yield. - whether that's actually the case or not. However I still give someone a break in parking lots if they are in the process of backing out because I know it's so hard to see sometimes if it's clear until you get out a little bit. Besides, I might want thier spot. :D

nonsane
09-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I've noticed lots of people don't back out properly anymore, no one backs out into the lane they are supposed to be in and they try to drive on the left hand side of the road...

If i see someone backing out i usually let them back out and go.

I regretted doing this one time however a lady was driving a chev diesel in the southcentre parking lot and totally did an austin powers move, it took about 10 minutes of forward 2 inches left, back 2 inches right before she finally got the truck out.

Sounds like she was just trying to take frusteration out on you. Which is not okay. Next time block the isle go to her window and act concerned and say "I heard your horn was going off so i thought you fainted on the steering wheel because it doesn't makes sense that anyone would honk at me for backing out of a spot!"

topmade
09-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah parking lot's are grey area's as in who's right and who's wrong hence the 50/50 thing when there is a accident.

I will usually stop when I see any car starting to come out. Like WTF, who care's who's right or wrong. Waiting a few seconds is not going to kill you and accidents are a pain in the butt unless the other person is driving an old beater and want's a upgrade.

rc2002
09-22-2006, 12:40 PM
I usually wait until there are no cars before backing out and expect to be given the right of way when I'm backing out.

But in a situation like that where you're almost all the way out and get honked at, I'd just finish backing out, then give her the finger for blowing the horn at me.

JspecB16
09-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I usually wait until there are no cars before backing out and expect to be given the right of way when I'm backing out.

But in a situation like that where you're almost all the way out and get honked at, I'd just finish backing out, then give her the finger for blowing the horn at me.

+1

Lo)2enz0
09-22-2006, 12:48 PM
alright, for me if i see someone backing out i will yield because you don't know if they are just going to keep on going. it really doesn't hurt to yield for a second cause when your backing out its hard to see if people are coming. only takes a second to wait but i guess people just don't have that type of time cause they only have 1 hour to live....

Cruz
09-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I had a situation where I was backing out, saw a car coming and stopped. It was the middle of winter and the lot is caked in packed snow.

Idiot stops, WAVES ME THROUGH, and as I continue to back out, he's arguing with his kid who's in the passenger seat and lets his foot of the brake. I notice his car start to move, I try to brake but the car slides on the snow and boom - collision.

The best part: Guy accepts full responsibility gives me all his paperwork, apologizes profusely, and then goes home, calls his insurance company and tells him it was my fault. 50/50 rule kicks in and I get screwed.

GQBalla
09-22-2006, 01:26 PM
well i think the girl should have let you go and not honk.

usually when im comin into a parkin lot and i see someone pulling out i let them out so i can take their spot!!! FTW!

dennisaur
09-22-2006, 01:45 PM
yeah if i see someone backing up in a good parking spot, i signal right away and call dibs:thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
09-22-2006, 05:06 PM
As far as insurance is concerned:

The person leaving the parked position MUST YIELD to anyone in the main driving lane.

If you are 15/16th of the way out of your parking spot and I'm come driving down the main lane and hit you......YOU ARE AT-FAULT.

A lot of parking lot accidents end up 50/50 because quite often you get two people backing up out of their spots from opposite sides of the lane.

infected
09-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Back into the stall, problem solved. :thumbsup:

dino_martini
09-22-2006, 08:19 PM
If I see someone backing out, ill stop and let them go unless they wave me by or something. Usually like to keep a low speed through the parking lots, just to be on the safe side.

Supa Dexta
09-22-2006, 09:03 PM
I had a cabby fly by me, at what I would guess to be near 45km/h in a fucking parking lot.. I was half way out and he goes flying by blaring his horn.. tool.. I followed him to where he stopped and had some choice words with him.... Best part? It was a walmart, who the hell is in that much of a hurry to get picked up at the walmart? I don't care if if was the queen of fucking england, her ass can wait...

A2VR6
09-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by infected
Back into the stall, problem solved. :thumbsup:

Works well... unless someone's behind you and they're right on your ass wondering why your reverse lights are on and they just stay there:banghead:

403Gemini
09-23-2006, 08:55 PM
if you're backing out, even if your 95% of the way out, you still DONT have the right away.

However ettiqute, if i see a person more than 50% out, ill let them get out and i dont have a problem with it (unless they take their sweet ass time)

88jbody
09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
I ussually let the person backing out go if they have already started to back out of the stall, mainly because sometimes it's hard for them to see past the cars they are parked beside, and I jsut like being a nice guy,

also same in a busy parking lot when many people are leaving at the same time I like the rule of thumb you let one person in then go and the next person lets 1 in and they go ect...

so really in your situation you were almost out if she had any curtousy she should have let you finish backing out, but some people don't have curtousy.

but now if people could lern the concept of merging corectly everywhere would be a much better place to drive!

sorry for my terible spelling. LOL

msommers
09-24-2006, 02:20 PM
no kidding!^^^^ 17ave and deerfoot is an utter gongshow. If you've started backing up, I always just let them finish, it's just the right thing to do I've always been told and done.