PDA

View Full Version : Rx7 Problems!!!=(

tony7077
09-21-2006, 10:36 PM
i was wondering if ne one would know what this could be...
i was driving and i stopped to get gas and i checked my oil..
i noticed a bunch of coolant leaking on the ground and it was all
over the drivers side of the car in the engine bay..thers a hose
that runs from the engine to the firewall and i think thats what
it is..when the car over heated the hose was making a whistleing
sound and when i held the hose upwards it would stop making
the sound ne one kno what this could bee!?

Tik-Tok
09-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Your heater hose I assume, seal isn't tight enough. Your first problem is that your car is overheating to begin with, find that problem first, then cut off the tip of that hose and put a new worm clamp on it.

schurchill39
09-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Over heating in an RX-7 is badd (well tis bad anyways but expecially with the rotarys.) Get that hose fixed ASAP whether that means replacing the whole hose or just the clamp it needs to be done. If you car is still spewing coolant afterwards I would get it checked out by a knowledgeable rotary mechanic

tony7077
09-22-2006, 12:55 AM
yea im pretty sure its the hose...but i dont know if
my car totaly over heated..the needle on the heat meeter or
w.e went pretty high but now like all the way..my car didnt stall
or die or nothing either..i shut it off..waited for a bit till it cooled
down drove like 2 mins and the needle got maybe 3/4 the way up
and i shut the car off and coasted the rest of the way to my house
i havent driven the car since last night so..do you think it could be
that bad for the motor?..

Akagi Redsuns
09-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Hard to know without knowing the temps the engine reached and for how long. The temp gauge doesn't do a good job in reading air.

Get that hose replaced ASAP. It's notorious for bursting as the oil filter pedestal is right above it and oil gets on it quite easily. I think its like a $20 hose from Mazda. It's got a wierd routing and a 90 bend a the end near the firewal so I would stick with replacing it with a Mazda hose.

After that, fill with coolant, purge the air bubbles and see how the car runs. You will know right at start up if things are ok or not.

tony7077
09-22-2006, 01:06 AM
yea im gonna get that hose tomorow..im having a hard
time getting it off cuz of where its at..lol ne tips on how
to make it come off easy..and just to make sure its
a bigger hose that goes from the drivers side of the motor
into the firewall but the middle of the dash right..

Akagi Redsuns
09-22-2006, 08:45 AM
First off, what year of RX-7? I'm assuming you have a FC (86-91), in which case this drawing will be revelant.

http://www.rx7club.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165469

I found it to be a easy hose to change. Removing it from the engine should be easy, but at the firewall there is a rib on the metal pipe that the hose fits over that makes the hose hard to remove. You could either slice the hose or use some pliers and gently break the hose loose....remembering not to apply too much pressure as you do not want to crush and pinch the heater core piping.

You can always go to www.rx7club.com and do a search. Like I said, that hose is very notorius for rupturing/breaking and tons of threads on it. Good luck.

Crymson
09-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Come to the sunridge krispy kreme at 2pm this sunday and ask some of the other FC owners.

Akagi Redsuns
09-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
Come to the sunridge krispy kreme at 2pm this sunday and ask some of the other FC owners.

And here I thought I was helping..??.. :dunno:

AsianCaucasian
09-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Any white smoke coming out your exhaust at all?

Crymson
09-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

And here I thought I was helping..??.. :dunno:

hehe, mabey if your link worked :)

tony7077
09-22-2006, 11:12 AM
i need the car fixed before sunday lol..im gonna cut that hose off
today and replace it with a new one..my car shows white smoke
only at start up..its not really white..just looks like normal exhaust
thers only allot of smoke when the cars cold..once it warms up its
fine no smoke at all

tony7077
09-22-2006, 11:13 AM
and yea sorry its a 1986 gx:D

-QA-
09-22-2006, 11:38 AM

there's an FC meet at sunridge? does this happen often? :confused:

Crymson
09-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by -QA-

there's an FC meet at sunridge? does this happen often? :confused:

Couple of times a season, you have to pretty up to date on the canadian section of rx7club to catch them as they occur in calgary, there is usually never an announcement on beyond unless its a general mazda thing like mitm.

Akagi Redsuns
09-22-2006, 02:33 PM

Oops, sorry about that. Forgot it was a forum atachment and not a jpg link.

Akagi Redsuns
09-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Ok, fixed link. The hose picture is very skewed though. Its goes much higher and should be decipted longer, but you get the idea.

http://members.shaw.ca/Akagi_Redsuns/hose.jpg

hollywood_35
09-22-2006, 07:10 PM
sell it and buy something with pistons :D

tony7077
09-23-2006, 12:08 AM
no way! i love my rotary
and yea that tube is exactly it..so replacing that should fix
the problem then?

schurchill39
09-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by hollywood_35
sell it and buy something with pistons :D

ROTARY FTW:burnout:

tony7077
09-23-2006, 12:20 PM
/\/\/\/\/\ agreeeedddd! I:love: ROTARY!

tony7077
09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
ok well i replaced that hose and filled up the rad with coolant..
it took a few trys for it to turn over and once it did ther was
lots of white smoke that came out the exhaust it was literaly
shooting out O's of smoke lol..after a while it warmed up and
now it dosent smoke at all and still runs like it used to..would the
motor be messed becuz it blew out so much white smoke? i heard
overheating is like the worste thing for a rotary..

Tik-Tok
09-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Most RX-7 owners will never have to worry about an overheated car, but if you are one of the unlucky ones, the information on this page should be useful. By now, I'm sure you know that rotary engines don't take to overheating very well. Overheating usually results in warped housings, which results in the water o-rings not seating very well. This condition causes coolant to leak into the combustion chamber. Obviously, this is a bad thing.

If the car is overheating, the first thing to do is pull over. If you were running the car hard and idling would help reduce the temperature of the engine in a natural way, let it idle until the temperature gauge reads normal temp. If the car suddenly overheated due to lack of coolant or other reasons, shut off the engine immediately and allow the car to completely cool down.

With the car cooled down, it may be driven to a convenient place and examined for damage. If the car begins to run hot again, shut it down and have it towed.

Does the car still run? That is always a good sign. What you want to do is look for possible damage. Does the car belch out huge clouds of white smoke after it is started? This could be caused by coolant leaking into the chamber and being burned off by the running engine. It is rather normal for an engine to expel a could of steam when cold started or operated in cold weather, but excessive amounts of sweet smelling smoke almost certainly indicate burning coolant.

Does the car consume coolant, with no noticeable external leaks? If you continue to add coolant to the car with no external leaks seen on the engine, it may be being burned. The coolant may be leaking into the engine internally. This is what creates the cloud of white smoke. The best way to test for this condition is to look for bubbles in the coolant. With the car completely cold, remove the coolant filler cap. Now start the engine and look at the coolant through the filling hole. Do you see a steady stream of bubbles coming from somewhere in the engine? Now, rev the engine by grabbing the throttle lever at the front of the engine. Does the coolant bubble up and/or gush out? If these two conditions are present, it is a pretty good sign that the coolant O-rings are leaking and allowing coolant to enter the engine, and combustion gas to enter the coolant.

If you have performed the above test and suspect engine damage, it is best to have the cooling system pressure tested to be absolutely sure. Any damaged pressurized system will leak coolant into the engine, resulting in hard starting and cloud of white smoke. Most rad shops can provide this service.

Now, if the car shows no loss of coolant and still runs properly after being overheated, consider yourself lucky. Now would be a good time to figure out what caused the initial overheating and correct it so the situation does not re occur.

If you have suffered engine damage, the only cure is a full rebuild. The car may still be driveable, but the condition will continue to get worse until the car no longer runs. This may take days, weeks, months or even years. There are various temporary fixes that can be employed, but they are just delaying the inevitable. Better start saving for that new engine.

tony7077
09-24-2006, 10:47 PM
i took the coolant cap off..and it was bubble and the thermostat
was still working properly pumping coolant into the engine..it also
bubbled when cold..it was just at the first start up the car hadnt
bin started in 2 days and it just did it for maybe 2 minutes..then
once it ran for a little bit ther was no smoke what so ever..does
this indicate that im lucky and my engine is still in good shape?..
im gonna see what the startup is liek tomorow and post the
results lol

Tik-Tok
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
It indicates your seals are starting to leak... like the above post says... it could take a few years to completely bomb...soooo...START SAVING FOR THAT NEW ENGINE!

tony7077
09-24-2006, 10:54 PM
good plan lol guess i myswell go with the turboII swap