PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Price Drop - edit Japan Only

kenny
09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Hmm... Seems like Sony is getting a bit worried, price drop of the PS3 announced.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060922/ap_en_bu/japan_sony_playstation

AzN'SKillZ
09-21-2006, 11:38 PM
:thumbsup:
smart idea

jdm_jspec
09-21-2006, 11:41 PM
:clap: :clap:
im so gettin onee

slick2404
09-21-2006, 11:45 PM
external HD DVD on xbox360 ehhh, sounds promising!

Hash_man
09-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Very interesting.

jdm_jspec
09-21-2006, 11:54 PM
cant go wrong with blu-ray already in the PS3 though
xbox should of thought of intergrating HD-DVD before.

CRXguy
09-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Still won't buy it. Hopefully I can get the 360 at the end of the year.

wainr
09-22-2006, 12:21 AM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/734/734186p1.html

Update: This Japanese press release confirms the above, but for now the price cut is only for the Japanese market

kerry
09-24-2006, 03:04 AM
Sony keeps shitting the bed left right and centre on everything
they do. It's starting to get really really annoying and hard
to support a company that does stuff like this.

I mean the price drop is great, but post-poning europe?

And trying to put Blu-Ray against Microsoft isn't going to be
an easy win like they think, especially consdering most of
the market looking into these won't know the difference
between 720p and 1080p. A lot of people still come into the
Sony store asking what the hell that means.

I'd say when I worked at Sony, 70% of people didn't know
and couldn't see the difference.

danno
09-24-2006, 09:36 AM
after finding out about GTHD i won't be getting one anytime soon. my sis can get me 20% off one too, oh well. it will have the launch issues like my 360 is having now.

pinoyhero
09-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Not sure which I'll get i'm after some real good MMORPGs which system is gonna have those? XBOX360, Wii or PS3?

LUCKYSTRIKE
09-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Can the PS3 play HD DVD's or just blu ray?

eblend
09-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE
Can the PS3 play HD DVD's or just blu ray?

only bluray

Lowering the price on the low end console is so stupid from the corporate point of view.

1. Lowering the price before the product is out shows luck of confidence in the product. Great for the customer, shitty for stockholders

2. Stockholders must absolutely hate sony now. Sony could have easily sold all the ps3s they were lunching at their original price this year without a problem due to the amazing amount of sony fanboys. With the shortage they could have sold many many at the original price and make some money, instead of loosing more and more money for a company that is already in debt like crazy.

Can you imagine being a sony stockholder and seeing sony commit corporate suicide again and again. It would piss me right the fuck off. God i hate sony. Its sad too cuz I used to admire the company as top of the line, now they are just a bunch of arogant pricks who's PR strategy is to fuck everyone over.

lewdvig
09-24-2006, 10:25 AM
If they do this in NA too it will save me having to buy the premium version. That would be good.

I am pretty much certain that I will be getting one - provided there are enough to go around.

Me and my kids were downloading game previews from gametrailers.com the last couple of days and there is some pretty cool looking stuff coming out on the 360 and PS3. I am skipping the Wii.

googe
09-24-2006, 02:36 PM
this price cut is only for japan.

HyperZell
09-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Not sure which I'll get i'm after some real good MMORPGs which system is gonna have those? XBOX360, Wii or PS3?

PC.

Just to reiterate, Sony is cutting the price of it's basic PS3. It is also giving it an HDMI port, which it previously did not have. Both changes are being made for the Japanese versions only, but speculation is that Sony will not produce different versions for different markets, and that all PS3's everywhere will have the HDMI port. But once again, the price cut is only for Japan.

One might think that Sony is doing this to counter Microsoft's release of their HD DVD player for the Xbox 360. However, in Japan, Microsoft has such a low market share that it wouldn't be logical for Sony to do that. That means that the real reason behind the price drop is to counter the Nintendo Wii, which is picking up steam fast. It looks like Sony is worried about Nintendo, and with good reason - the only controversial thing they've done lately is announce the name.

rage2
09-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by jdm_jspec
cant go wrong with blu-ray already in the PS3 though
xbox should of thought of intergrating HD-DVD before.
Can't go wrong? blu-ray is following the paths of Beta... well, except for the fact that Beta had superior quality over VHS, where as first gen blu-ray looked worse than HD-DVD and the current crop of VC1 discs looks equal.

heavyD
09-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Can't go wrong? blu-ray is following the paths of Beta... well, except for the fact that Beta had superior quality over VHS, where as first gen blu-ray looked worse than HD-DVD and the current crop of VC1 discs looks equal.

My brother & I had the chance to see Ultraviolet on a $1200 Blu-ray player in 1080i on a 46" Samsung LCD & while I could see the improvement over regular 480p DVD, my brother who is not a videophile couldn't which is the big problem with the new formats. To the average person the improvement isn't drastic enough to warrant spending hundreds of $$$ to upgrade.

rage2
09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158499.html?sid=6158499

Price drop is Japan only, no price drop for US/CAN market!

Xtrema
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

My brother & I had the chance to see Ultraviolet on a $1200 Blu-ray player in 1080i on a 46" Samsung LCD & while I could see the improvement over regular 480p DVD, my brother who is not a videophile couldn't which is the big problem with the new formats. To the average person the improvement isn't drastic enough to warrant spending hundreds of $$$ to upgrade.

This next gen DVD battle is pointless. Much like LaserDisc. With that said, it's an interesting move on Sony's part. Why lower price in the region that mostly will buy at any price point?

They should have drop price in NA.

HyperZell
09-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

This next gen DVD battle is pointless. Much like LaserDisc. With that said, it's an interesting move on Sony's part. Why lower price in the region that mostly will buy at any price point?

Originally posted by HyperZell

One might think that Sony is doing this to counter Microsoft's release of their HD DVD player for the Xbox 360. However, in Japan, Microsoft has such a low market share that it wouldn't be logical for Sony to do that. That means that the real reason behind the price drop is to counter the Nintendo Wii, which is picking up steam fast. It looks like Sony is worried about Nintendo, and with good reason - the only controversial thing they've done lately is announce the name.

The battle is between Sony and Nintendo. The home market is the crucial one right now, which is why Sony is trying to take measures to increase interest. Remember, the Wii is coming out first...

heavyD
09-26-2006, 09:59 AM

Sony will have more issues in Japan than NA because all estimates show that the Wii will sell there like hotcakes as Japan loves gimmicky little devices and simple games that Wii can offer. The NA market is more geared to high end graphics and franchises like GTA, Halo, Splinter Cell, Madden, etc where Wii is more relegated to a niche market & Sony's main competition is the 360 which is pricey also hence no immediate need to cut the price as PS3 will sellout for months in NA regardless of price.

HyperZell
09-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Sony will have more issues in Japan than NA because all estimates show that the Wii will sell there like hotcakes as Japan loves gimmicky little devices and simple games that Wii can offer. The NA market is more geared to high end graphics and franchises like GTA, Halo, Splinter Cell, Madden, etc where Wii is more relegated to a niche market & Sony's main competition is the 360 which is pricey also hence no immediate need to cut the price as PS3 will sellout for months in NA regardless of price.

Don't forget that Nintendo also has some powerful franchises. Mario remains a gaming icon, and Zelda and Metroid are huge in their own respects. Nintendo is by no means 'relegated' to niche market - in fact, one might argue that the PS3 and the 360 now have the niche market. (Far-fetched, yes, but if the Wii reaches the non-gaming masses like they are trying to do...). It's called market development, and if it works then Nintendo will be the clear cut winner. Also, don't forget that being sold out doesn't mean squat by itself. Sony has a shortage of units available, and each one equals a loss for Sony. I'll bet you that the Wii will be sold out as well, and they are projecting 1 000 000 units right now at launch.

Lastly, don't forget that run-on sentences are bad.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Coming from someone who WAS a sony-fanboy

PS3 & BLURAY FTL

Especially bluray, sony's track record for this kind of head to head competition is bad. (in the NA market anyways)

Betamax, minidiscs, etc.

heavyD
09-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Don't forget that Nintendo also has some powerful franchises. Mario remains a gaming icon, and Zelda and Metroid are huge in their own respects. Nintendo is by no means 'relegated' to niche market - in fact, one might argue that the PS3 and the 360 now have the niche market. (Far-fetched, yes, but if the Wii reaches the non-gaming masses like they are trying to do...). It's called market development, and if it works then Nintendo will be the clear cut winner. Also, don't forget that being sold out doesn't mean squat by itself. Sony has a shortage of units available, and each one equals a loss for Sony. I'll bet you that the Wii will be sold out as well, and they are projecting 1 000 000 units right now at launch.

Lastly, don't forget that run-on sentences are bad.

I'm not part of the Wii hype machine. It will sell very well initially but once the novelty of the controller wears off and you realize that you are still playing the same old games with your wrist instead of your thumbs you will see sales decline. Go to an Elcectronics store and look at the TV's for sale and you will see that 95% are HDTV's. In two years Wii games will look like Atari 2600 compared to what will be on 360 & PS3 wich will be what people will use to show off their new TV's. As much hype as there is there are still many that are unimpressed with the Wii after extended play with it as there are control issues and complaints of weak visuals. Nintendo will finish a distant last in NA when all is said and done and pretty well every financial analyst has it that way.

As for the English lessons, you can go Fuck yourself.:devil:

Xtrema
09-26-2006, 03:31 PM

I'm not part of the Wii hype machine. It will sell very well initially but once the novelty of the controller wears off and you realize that you are still playing the same old games with your wrist instead of your thumbs you will see sales decline.

DS has 800K units over PSP in NA since introduction. Many more in Japan. I won't be surprise if Nintendo can put some massive damage to PS3 sales.

heavyD
09-26-2006, 03:43 PM

DS has 800K units over PSP in NA since introduction. Many more in Japan. I won't be surprise if Nintendo can put some massive damage to PS3 sales.

Handhelds and consoles are different demographics. Handheld's are widely purchased by kids in school and teens. The main demographic for consoles is 20 - 35 years old. 25-30 year olds don't purchase many Mario games but will lineup outside the store for a GTA or Halo and you won't see those games on Wii. I bought a PS2 and will buy a PS3 but have no interest in a PSP. You guys are falling for the hype that Nintendo has been successful in creating hype much like it did with the gamecube which started off very well and faded within a year and caused many lower than estimated quarterly earnings for Nintendo which is making 75% of its money off handhelds.

szw
09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
heavyD,

Some links to these financial analysts you speak of? I thought pretty much everyone except you had jumped off the PS3 ship by now!

saiyajin
09-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by szw
heavyD,

Some links to these financial analysts you speak of? I thought pretty much everyone except you had jumped off the PS3 ship by now!

maybe hes a true gamer and wont jump to conclusions just yet its about the games sometimes you know and il wait and see if ps3 does fail rather then pickin up all this garbage on the net and assuming shit i dont even know will happen or not

szw
09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah but internet geeks like us need something to bitch about in the mean time.

heavyD
09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by szw
heavyD,

I was never on the PS3 ship. I actually favor the 360 a bit more but I just like good games and PS3 will have its share. The PS3 may lose some of its current 60% market share but it will still finish on top follwed by the 360 for this gen. If you've paid any attention to the last few console generations it should be fairly evident. The 100 million people that bought PS2's and the 30 million plus that bought Xboxes aren't going to cast their allegiance aside for a $300 CDN console with PS2 visuals, no DVD, no HD, and a funky controller that will make for fun fishing and pokemon games. It just isn't going to happen.

HyperZell
09-26-2006, 06:43 PM

I was never on the PS3 ship. I actually favor the 360 a bit more but I just like good games and PS3 will have its share. The PS3 may lose some of its current 60% market share but it will still finish on top follwed by the 360 for this gen. If you've paid any attention to the last few console generations it should be fairly evident. The 100 million people that bought PS2's and the 30 million plus that bought Xboxes aren't going to cast their allegiance aside for a $300 CDN console with PS2 visuals, no DVD, no HD, and a funky controller that will make for fun fishing and pokemon games. It just isn't going to happen.

You ignored my thing about a niche market.

You are also assuming that people will be loyal enough to pay $600 for a PS3. That's without the upcharge to accesories and games (like the huge fallout from the GT HD announcement) factored in to cover the losses made from every unit sold. Buying a racing game with no tracks and no cars? No thanks. Plus, Sony has been plagued by negative press for awhile now: release date push back, uneccesary blu-ray(?), price drop for Japan only, "The Next Generation Doesn't Start Until We Say It Does", etc. etc.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is coming out with a fresh, affordable and unique console. Sure they only have 480P support, but it has been said several times that the number of people who have HDTVs is still very low. Plus, the market that the Wii is targeting isn't expected to have HDTVs anyways.

You're just commiting the fallacy that Microsoft and Sony have done: you're focused on the graphics. Looks = quality? I don't think so. Take a step back and remember that games are meant to be fun, not just push pixels. And I've heard lots of good things about the controller, btw - it's just about consensus that the controller is easy to learn and very natural, not to mention refreshing and enjoyable.

habsfan
09-26-2006, 07:15 PM
it all depends on what your view of quality is too. i have absolutely no interest whatsoever in owning a wii. sure mario and zelda will probably be relatively fun games, but other than that, nothing interests me about it whatsoever. for once i'm on heavyd's side of a console argument. i'll own a 360 before a ps3 way before a wii.

Hollywood
09-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
maybe hes a true gamer and wont jump to conclusions just yet its about the games sometimes you know and il wait and see if ps3 does fail rather then pickin up all this garbage on the net and assuming shit i dont even know will happen or not

I agree.

Originally posted by habsfan
it all depends on what your view of quality is too. i have absolutely no interest whatsoever in owning a wii. sure mario and zelda will probably be relatively fun games, but other than that, nothing interests me about it whatsoever. for once i'm on heavyd's side of a console argument. i'll own a 360 before a ps3 way before a wii.

:werd:

There is one thing you are all forgetting. games=drugs for some people, they will pay to play. Now that is not enough to run a business on but it is a factor, and these people will spend the doe on getting their greasy dorito's hands on a ps3.

brownchild
10-11-2006, 10:36 PM
PS3 will outsell the most as usual, simply because they are the best at what they do in all aspects of technology. Many ppl will want to argue about this topic non stop, but everyone truly knows in the back of their minds Sony was the first system to bring the older generations to video games.

Before that Nintendo was on top with their simple and fun games, but dont get me wrong Nintendo is on top of things with making their systems really fun. I actually think Gamecube is a really fun system, and I have Xbox and PS3 also. I cant wait for the Nintendo Wii.

All in all I think Microsoft should just stick to computers. I truly believe that two's company but three' a crowd. And Microsoft basically tries to appeal to the Sony kind of crowd, and they want to produce similar styles of gaming as Sony. I think Microsoft was doing fine in the computer gaming world, but they need to stop with Video Game consoles, because its just a waste of "addictive" gamers money, because ppl who are truly into gaming will have all 3 systems. And I will not make the mistake of buying a Xbox 360. Im fine with Sony and Nintendo.

rage2
10-12-2006, 07:00 AM
^^^ that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So you're saying because Sony was there first there should be no more competitors? How does that logic work? How is it OK that Sony went into Nintendo's space but Microsoft shouldn't go into Sony's space?

How is Sony the "best" in technology when even developers are bitching about the PS3 hardware?

Xtrema
10-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by brownchild
All in all I think Microsoft should just stick to computers. I truly believe that two's company but three' a crowd. And Microsoft basically tries to appeal to the Sony kind of crowd, and they want to produce similar styles of gaming as Sony. I think Microsoft was doing fine in the computer gaming world, but they need to stop with Video Game consoles, because its just a waste of "addictive" gamers money, because ppl who are truly into gaming will have all 3 systems. And I will not make the mistake of buying a Xbox 360. Im fine with Sony and Nintendo.

All in all I think Honda should just stick to motorcycles. I truly believe that two's company but three' a crowd. And Honda basically tries to appeal to the Ford kind of crowd, and they want to produce similar styles of cars as Ford. I think Honda was doing fine in the motorcycle world, but they need to stop with making sport cars, because its just a waste of "car enthauists' " money, because ppl who are truly into cars will have all 3 brands. And I will not make the mistake of buying a Honda NSX. Im fine with Ford and GM

:rofl:

brownchild
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM

All in all I think Honda should just stick to motorcycles. I truly believe that two's company but three' a crowd. And Honda basically tries to appeal to the Ford kind of crowd, and they want to produce similar styles of cars as Ford. I think Honda was doing fine in the motorcycle world, but they need to stop with making sport cars, because its just a waste of "car enthauists' " money, because ppl who are truly into cars will have all 3 brands. And I will not make the mistake of buying a Honda NSX. Im fine with Ford and GM

:rofl:

Pretty smart post.:devil: Way to take it totally out of context. Since Honda did start off making gas guzzling cars that would appeal to the regular Ford guy, and an Acura NSX that compares to a Ford Mustang GT Cobra. :nut:

Anyways back to topic I never meant to say their shoudlnt be competition, but seriously how much more similaraties can their be between the gaming styles of Xbox and Playstation, atleast Nintendo has different styles of games that would appeal to a different crowd, Xbox could of came out with a different approach especially knowing they're background in technological advancements, they could of put all that time, money, and effort into making virtual reality gaming or something, instead of just making a sub par system that has so many comparisons to a Sony console. The only thing that I can think of why people by Microsoft consoles is because of their two or three franchise games such as Halo, and Perfect Dark, or that their hardcore Microsoft supporters.

As for technology we cant really tell what this Blu Ray stuffs really about, since it's not out yet, but you still have to give Sony props on always creating new technologies, and that is why they are the best, because they create and release new technologies, which other companies try to perfect, instead of creating their own. Also Sony didn't really go into Nintendos space, they did go into the video gaming world, but they aimed their product at an older crowd. Nintendo has never released game franchises such as GTA, or Twisted Metal.

Xtrema
10-12-2006, 06:38 PM
As for technology we cant really tell what this Blu Ray stuffs really about, since it's not out yet, but you still have to give Sony props on always creating new technologies, and that is why they are the best, because they create and release new technologies, which other companies try to perfect, instead of creating their own. Also Sony didn't really go into Nintendos space, they did go into the video gaming world, but they aimed their product at an older crowd. Nintendo has never released game franchises such as GTA, or Twisted Metal.

Sony DID go into Nintendos space. You're probably too young to remember many adult oriented NES/Famlicom games. It's Nintendo who are forced to stay out of Sony's way. And it killed Sega, the #2 at the time.

Sony hasn't been innovative for a long time. That title has been claimed by Samsung. Ipod basically single handedly ended 20 years of walkman dominance. Again Sony is playing catch up here as well.

TV and monitors, Sony used to rule with Trinitron/Wega. But havn't done much in display technology as much as the Koreans. Yes Sony still owns the professional AV market but the consumer level has lost to Samsung. How many Sony LCD panel do you see on the market and is actually reviewed better than the Koreans?

Many console's firsts doesn't come from Sony either.

- Cartridge Storage: NES
- Floppy Storage: Famlicom
- CD storage: Turbographix 16
- DVD storage: Sony
- Flash storage: Sony
- Hard Drive Storage: Xbox
- Online gaming: Xbox
- Online content: Xbox 360
- HD gaming: Xbox

Tell me 1 thing that PS3 does that's new or is copied from a competitor:

- Controller: no rumble but SIXAXIS, nowhere as innovative as Wii-mote. Wireless? Aftermarket did that a long time ago.

- Internet: MS already got that down. And Sony still has no strategy at launch, forcing developer looking for 3rd party solutions and forcing player into a possible multiple account mess.

- HiDef: Xbox already did 720. 360 does 1080i. PS3 does 1080p. And 1080i/p difference isn't that big.

The only 1st Sony brings to this party are:

- Cell: Great processor but it's more for a DVD player than gaming console

- BR: Massive storage which players will probably need by end of life of PS3, even if it becomes the next Beta. It's a huge risk that may blow up in Sony's face. Consumer switch to DVD like they did when they ditch cassette and adopt CD. Have you seen a CD successor been adopted by the massess yet? NO. Same will happen with HDDVD/BR. And without massive support, cost of manufacturing will stay high.

Hollywood
10-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Umm I hate to break it to you, the 360 is a computer, same with the xbox.

WERD. Samsung pwns!

I would even add to your list;

- First console to allow u to download CD songs fro other games backround music: Xbox.
- First console hacked into a working PC: Xbox
- First console to offer game updates for more replayibility, and teh ability to patch:Xbox.

saiyajin
10-12-2006, 08:29 PM

actually im thinking Online Gaming mostly started with Sega with the Dreamcast
Phantasy Star Online anyone?? :dunno:

Xtrema
10-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

actually im thinking Online Gaming mostly started with Sega with the Dreamcast
Phantasy Star Online anyone?? :dunno:

I think you're right with the modem.

Dreamcast is the predecessor of Xbox anyway, running Windows CE.