PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite place for SUSHI!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

msommers
09-23-2006, 01:45 AM
Well with all the talk about sushi lately, I figured I'd just start a thread and see where people like going. Commonly, it seems like the higher you pay, the better it is, but as all restaurants, this isn't always true as the "little resturant down on XX" can top any big or expensive place! So where are all those good little places! Or big places, doesn't matter I guess:thumbsup:

WWJAI
09-23-2006, 01:52 AM
I haven't tried all the sushi places in Calgary because some places charge you up the ass for it but so far, I think the best is sushi boat (u pay by the plate). There's one near 19th ave and 4th st downtown that i tried that was pretty good as well but more expensive. And if i just want to eat sushi but not pay too much, sakana grill is the choice.

AzN'SKillZ
09-23-2006, 01:54 AM
sushi tokyo downtown in dragon city, 20 dollas all u can eat. wut more can u ask for?

WWJAI
09-23-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
sushi tokyo downtown in dragon city, 20 dollas all u can eat. wut more can u ask for?

their sushi is disgusting..even for 20 dollars its a rip off:barf: ...if you want all you can eat sushi, go to sushi bbq inn..its like 22 bucks and better selection(includes korean bbq)...down 16th ave near sait

AzN'SKillZ
09-23-2006, 01:57 AM
^gona hav to give it a try LOL

max_boost
09-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Shikiji FTW

:thumbsup:

k98303
09-23-2006, 01:58 AM
towa

naheed187
09-23-2006, 02:33 AM
zen 8 has the best sushi in town

93mr2gt
09-23-2006, 03:01 AM
sushi club, towa, zen 8

pinoyhero
09-23-2006, 06:38 AM
zen8 (full stop)

CarbonCopy
09-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by WWJAI

their sushi is disgusting..even for 20 dollars its a rip off:barf: ...if you want all you can eat sushi, go to sushi bbq inn..its like 22 bucks and better selection(includes korean bbq)...down 16th ave near sait

Ive tried both sushi tokyo, and that BBQ korean grill. The bbq korean part is great, but the sushi rice was dry, there was too much rice and too little fish (they do that on all you can eat to fill you up faster) and the service was horrible.

To be perfectly honest, they are racist in their serving. Asian couples and groups who came in after us got their drinks, orders, and their FOOD before we even got our AUCE menus!

If you want good sushi, at a good price, and a nice little restaurant try mariju sushi on centre and around.... 10th I think. I haven't been there in awhile, but its GREAT food.

t-im
09-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Towa
Kawa
Hana

Sushi Club use to be good..but the last time I went there it was pretty :barf:

A2VR6
09-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Shikiji FTW

:thumbsup: :werd: awesome place!

CarbonCopy
09-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Any adresses for some of these places?

Im also lookin for a restaurant that serves a hard to find, expensive fish called "bonito". Bonito meaning "the good stuff is right under the skin".

dennisaur
09-23-2006, 11:47 AM
towa and hana

both on 4th st. within blocks of each other:thumbsup:

dj_rice
09-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI

:thumbsup: I just like their baked oysters :drool:

Weapon_R
09-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I really like Shikiji and Sushi Ichiban on macleod.

I would recommend you stay away from Kawa as their food is awful and the place is really dirty.

pinoyhero
09-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah seems to be a popoualr place but Shikiji is very good i recommend it, their ramen is also gold.

adamc
09-23-2006, 01:07 PM
what do you guys think calgary needs in terms of a sushi place to end all sushi places?

I have been talking to an owner of a few sushi spots in bc (my all time fav sushi, soo good :drool: ) about starting a location here, that I would partially fund and help run, possibly downtown/17th ave.

Grip172
09-23-2006, 01:11 PM
globefish was amazing.... expensive and no all you can eat, but really good

i HATED sushi bbq across from sait on 16th.it was sick

that ichiban place on mcleod (on the right heading north) wasn't bad but nothing to brag about

Weapon_R
09-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by adamc
what do you guys think calgary needs in terms of a sushi place to end all sushi places?

I have been talking to an owner of a few sushi spots in bc (my all time fav sushi, soo good :drool: ) about starting a location here, that I would partially fund and help run, possibly downtown/17th ave.

Prices need to come back down to earth, and service needs to be improved. Most sushi restaurants think they are doing the customer a favor by serving them. It's these places that ruin the experience and dont see much repeat business.

Impreza
09-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Shikiji FTW. I second what Weapon_R says though. I had the WORST experiences at Kawa and Kyoto17. Kawa treats you like crap...

CRXguy
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Prices need to come back down to earth, and service needs to be improved. Most sushi restaurants think they are doing the customer a favor by serving them. It's these places that ruin the experience and dont see much repeat business.

:werd:

When I was in Vancouver back in March, my wife and I went to Oysi Oysi. When the bill came up, it came out to just under $50 tax in plus tip. The portions were big and we were stuffed. Compare to the places here in Calgary, and the meal would have been $75+ plus tip and I'm never full. :nut: :dunno: The service was top notch.

msommers
09-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Wow, this is awesome how big this has gotten since like 2:00 last night! I think I will have to try shikiji , towa,hana and Zen 8. I've hear Zen 8 is really really expensive, same with Sushi Hiro (no one mentioned it yet and I have never been). How much are we lookin at per roll...ish? Like 80 bucks for 2 people!

CarbonCopy
09-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Honjin sushi in Vancouver is incredible. Its like 1.00 for a peice of sushi, 1.25 for 6 rolls and the service/food is AMAZING. Everytime I go out I eat there at least once a day, you can never get sick of fish that fresh and delicious.

Ive had tuna here that is so old it almost falls apart.

Kaos
09-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Grip172
globefish was amazing.... expensive and no all you can eat, but really good

i HATED sushi bbq across from sait on 16th.it was sick

that ichiban place on mcleod (on the right heading north) wasn't bad but nothing to brag about

Globefish rocks.

likwid
09-23-2006, 05:34 PM
O Sho's in Lethbridge for teh win

TurboMedic
09-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I really like the Korean BBQ sushi inn place, its great! Hana stunk to high hell when we walked in so we left.....Sushi boat is good, but you gotta order stuff, on the boats is pretty plain....Sakana was mediocre, if not less....I was not impressed, and probably won't visit the new location when it opens. I would love to try Kinjo next time I'm out.....and maybe sushi ichiban.....

NGRPLZ.NET
09-24-2006, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I really like Shikiji and Sushi Ichiban on macleod.

I would recommend you stay away from Kawa as their food is awful and the place is really dirty.

:werd: :werd:

Theres another one in Chitown that was really good. I think it was downstairs or something. Sakhana Grill?

B18C
09-24-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm really enjoying Sushi Boat up in Crowfoot lately.

sh0ko
09-24-2006, 12:05 PM
towa

frozenrice
09-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by adamc

First of all, sushi is JAPANESE food. The first thing I'd make sure of is that the place is operated by Japanese people. I find sushi in general is better when it's at least made by the people that came up with it. What do you think Chinese food cooked by an caucasions would taste like? (Hint try the wor wonton noodle soup at Moxies :barf: ). The trend that I see in some of the not-so-good sushi places is that they're run by Chinese,Vietmanese,Koreans. I'm not saying they're all bad, it's just that I've noticed that the ones that didn't impress me were ones that weren't run by Japanese. I don't ever recall having a bad experience with the ones that were though. AND NO I AM NOT RACIST (I'm Asian too), this is just an observation.
Second thing is, location. Don't get too caught up in being in a trendy location like 17th where parking will disuade people from coming. Pick a spot where it's central but easy to get to and parking is abundant and free.

Kaos
09-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Not trying to start a war or anything but....
Globefish is located in a trendy spot, nearby Kensington & located on 14 ST. Operated by Japanese too.
Sushi is sushi, if people wanted authentic, go to Japan.
I watch iron chef and there's chinese chef's making italian food.
You're not racist but you are prejudice.

Originally posted by frozenrice

First of all, sushi is JAPANESE food. The first thing I'd make sure of is that the place is operated by Japanese people. I find sushi in general is better when it's at least made by the people that came up with it. What do you think Chinese food cooked by an caucasions would taste like? (Hint try the wor wonton noodle soup at Moxies :barf: ). The trend that I see in some of the not-so-good sushi places is that they're run by Chinese,Vietmanese,Koreans. I'm not saying they're all bad, it's just that I've noticed that the ones that didn't impress me were ones that weren't run by Japanese. I don't ever recall having a bad experience with the ones that were though. AND NO I AM NOT RACIST (I'm Asian too), this is just an observation.
Second thing is, location. Don't get too caught up in being in a trendy location like 17th where parking will disuade people from coming. Pick a spot where it's central but easy to get to and parking is abundant and free.

npham
09-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Sushi Toyko is the worst place I've have has "sushi." I just that term lightly. It was a 10 min wait, but the service was poor. No co-ordination with their apps vs sushi. Expensive and not that good of quality.

spyce
09-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I like Towa
Spicy Salmon..:thumbsup: :drool:

Si_FlyGuy
09-24-2006, 10:57 PM
I just went to Shikiji today, and the unagi roll was the best that I've had in calgary. The ocean mango roll was really good too. It's a tad expensive, but the quality justifies it.

My only complain was that the bathroom floor was very sticky for 3pm on a sunday. I'd still go back though.:thumbsup:

CarbonCopy
09-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I just went to Shikiji today, and the unagi roll was the best that I've had in calgary. The ocean mango roll was really good too. It's a tad expensive, but the quality justifies it.

My only complain was that the bathroom floor was very sticky for 3pm on a sunday. I'd still go back though.:thumbsup:

Unagi :drool: :drool:

msommers
09-24-2006, 11:58 PM

Approx. how expensive is Shikiji? Unagi is soooooo good.

npham
09-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Approx. how expensive is Shikiji? Unagi is soooooo good.

approx 25 a head with a pop or something like that

Sorath
09-25-2006, 02:44 AM
i like sushi bbq inn, cause its all u can eat and theres korean bbq too

pinoyhero
09-25-2006, 06:03 AM
OK so for those who have had both, what's better shikiji or zen8? Assume money is no object but I think zen8 is probably more expensive...

japancar
09-25-2006, 06:58 AM

You couldn't be more right. My Japanese wife and I have tried all the Japanese restaurants in Edmonton. The only good ones were those that are owned by Japanese people. It just seems more authentic, and, with all due respect to the Asian owners (non-Japanese) of Japanese restaurants, it doesn't seem right to hear non-Japanese accents from the owners.

I think that's part of the "atmosphere" is to have Asians serving sushi, when in fact they probably never grew up with it. Again, no offence. Its like here in Japan when I go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Nagoya and see chicken terriaki on the menu... :werd:

The best place, at least it was, in Edmonton is Mikado. Also, Kobe Bistro and Yokozuna are also Japanese-owned and very good.

At least that's my 2cents worth from a guy who lives in Japan...

B17a
09-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Towa all the way.:thumbsup:

CarbonCopy
09-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by npham

approx 25 a head with a pop or something like that

Including tips? If so, then thats not bad.

Then again, some of us have larger appetities. I know if I crave sushi long enough I can eat a disgusting amount when I finally get it.

ProjectR
09-25-2006, 09:15 AM
in vancouver: BC Sushi on Broadway and Arbutus (i think), and Tomokazu (forget where)

in calgary: Sakana Grill

3g4me
09-25-2006, 09:27 AM
I like tokyo gardens, in southland crossing (calgary) I have tried some others around town and i dont think much beats their taste and atmosphere. IMO You gotta try the baked mussles there :drool: :thumbsup:

ToyVitzRS
09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
The only two places i go for sushi are Towa and Sushi Boat :thumbsup:

v2kai
09-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 3g4me
I like tokyo gardens, in southland crossing (calgary) I have tried some others around town and i dont think much beats their taste and atmosphere. IMO You gotta try the baked mussles there :drool: :thumbsup:

my gf's dad owns that place, +2 for toyko garden's sushi good stuff:D :thumbsup:

Sims
09-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Sakana is good - good boat prices on weekend afternoons and after 9pm weekdays. Or something like that.. service isnt stellar though, have waited up to 45 minutes for boats before.. but whatever its good and cheap.

GQBalla
09-25-2006, 03:10 PM
sakana grill is just cheap during happy hour - i like sushi boat though! its good! owned by japanese

CarbonCopy
09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Just got back from Sushi Tokyo. I was very impressed with the sushi today. Fresh fish, incredible service, and it was well priced.

It's not always good, but today was great!

Si_FlyGuy
09-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
OK so for those who have had both, what's better shikiji or zen8? Assume money is no object but I think zen8 is probably more expensive...

Shikiji has better food, but the waitresses at Zen8 are gorgeous.:poosie: Quite a toss up.

Btw...they give you the entire unagi fish at shikiji...you'll know what I mean when you try it.

Ice712
09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Zipang

That is all...good day.

msommers
09-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Ice712
Zipang

That is all...good day.

that is the one in bridgeland right? That's like a few minutes away from my house if it is, always thought about it but never tried it.

Altezza
09-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by spyce
I like Towa
Spicy Salmon..:thumbsup: :drool:

I find that Towa has gone down hill in the last year or so. And that's not even considering that the rice has always been bad there.

To be honest, after having sushi in Van and TO, the sushi in town just doesn't impress me anymore. As already pointed out, the quality of food and service just isn't there for the price you pay. There are still places I like in town though (ie, Misato).

Chris101
09-25-2006, 06:33 PM
+1 For Sakana Grill

I have been going there for years and hadn't tried their sushi until my last birthday, hot damn was it good.

I also like Sushi Ginza down south. Their pieces are absolutley gigantic.

I gave Kinjo's a couple tries because I get a kick out of Peter from Sakana, but wasn't overly impressed by it.

gaijin
09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
The best sushi I've had in Calgary has been from Misato. West Market Square (Suntera Market), 420 1851 Sirocco Dr. SW. Basically at the corner of 17th Ave SW and Sarcee Tr. Sushi chef from Tokyo, blah blah.

There was a pretty good thread about sushi in Calgary awhile back.
Ah, here it is:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105947

mo_money2supe
09-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I used to always go to Sakana, but after a trip to HK, :barf: no more Sakana.

If I had my choice of ANY sushi place to go to in ALBERTA, for AMAZING prices too, I'd choose Mt. Fuji up in Edmonton. They have the largest menu of any fast food sushi place that I've ever been to.

For Calgary, you can never go wrong with Shikiji though... (of course, I just like to mispronounce their Chinese name, "Say Gwai Lo" :D ).

boi-alien
09-26-2006, 10:56 AM

http://www.asianartmall.com/originsofsushi.htm actually, sushi originated in China, but thanks for coming out.

msommers
09-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
I used to always go to Sakana, but after a trip to HK, :barf: no more Sakana.

If I had my choice of ANY sushi place to go to in ALBERTA, for AMAZING prices too, I'd choose Mt. Fuji up in Edmonton. They have the largest menu of any fast food sushi place that I've ever been to.

For Calgary, you can never go wrong with Shikiji though... (of course, I just like to mispronounce their Chinese name, "Say Gwai Lo" :D ).

Isn't there a mount Fuji on like 5 ave downtown? I think Shikiji has to be the place. I'll let everyone know how it is!

cloud7
09-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't think we should judge the quality of the sushi by the race of the owner/chef... Making good sushi is like making any other style of food in that you need YEARS of practice and the needed creativity and talent. Regardless of race, sushi made by chefs with only a few years of training, and without talent or creatively and not enjoying what they do are bound to make BAD sushi.

szw
09-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien

http://www.asianartmall.com/originsofsushi.htm actually, sushi originated in China, but thanks for coming out.

Just because it originated somewhere else does not change his point at all.

frozenrice
09-26-2006, 05:50 PM
^^Thanks for backing me on that. I didn't say that other cultures couldn't make good sushi, all I said was I've noticed that (IMO) the ones that I personally like better are run by Japanese. Nor did my comment have anything to say about it's origin. Japan is known for sushi. Maybe it did originate in China but the Japanese made it popular the way we know it. The combustion engine originated in North America, but does that mean they make the best motors?

msommers
09-26-2006, 06:10 PM
It's crazy how I ask where good sushi places are, turns into a debate about something no one cares about. If the food is good, that is the point of this thread.

mycroftxxx
09-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Sumo's in eau claire

Honda_002
09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Sushi Boat FTW!

LS Cammer
09-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Vancouver.

lol

Redlyne_jr
09-26-2006, 07:47 PM
good place near southcentre in willow park i believe Forgot the actual name :dunno: :dunno: but its inbetween the soccer store and ginger beef. Its all decked out with the floating boats and stuff;) :) :)

frozenrice
09-26-2006, 08:55 PM
It's crazy how I ask where good sushi places are, turns into a debate about something no one cares about. If the food is good, that is the point of this thread.

I agree with you and I apologize for starting anything or offending anyone. That was not my intent (it was in response to adamc's post).

The one in Willow Park is called Sushi Ginza - same as the one in Chinook Mall. I believe it is (or was) the same owner as the sushi restraunt in Eau Claire. On the topic of Sushi Ginza, there's a newer place in the strip mall off of 37th St. and Richmond Road SW that is owned and operated by the former manager of Sushi Ginza (he's Korean BTW and his business partner/head waitress is Chinese). Great place for the money. So there you go - I'm not prejudice afterall.

gatorade
09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
i cant believe some of you said sushi bbq inn, that place is terrible

modded46
09-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Zen 8 you're looking at about 40-60 for two people depending on how much Sashimi you get. The food is the best.. I've ate at a lot of sushi places in Calgary and nothing comes close.. It's all about the Volcano sauce. If anyone else knows where you can get "Volcano" type sauce i'm all in for that.. enjoy.

Si_FlyGuy
09-26-2006, 10:30 PM

Isn't there a mount Fuji on like 5 ave downtown? I think Shikiji has to be the place. I'll let everyone know how it is!

You're thinking of Fujiyama by the Telus building. Their lunch specials are reasonably priced at $10. Quite a delicious place.

mo_money2supe
09-26-2006, 10:30 PM

If there is indeed a Mt. Fuji there, I am SO there the next time I'm in town. Ever since I worked in Edmonton for 2 weeks this past August and went there almost daily, I've been craving that place since!

The one in Willow Park is called Sushi Ginza - same as the one in Chinook Mall. I believe it is (or was) the same owner as the sushi restraunt in Eau Claire. On the topic of Sushi Ginza, there's a newer place in the strip mall off of 37th St. and Richmond Road SW that is owned and operated by the former manager of Sushi Ginza (he's Korean BTW and his business partner/head waitress is Chinese). Great place for the money. So there you go - I'm not prejudice afterall.

Actually, the place in Willow Park is called "Sushi Ginza" and the one in Chinook is just called "Ginza." I knew the owners of "Sushi Ginza" and I can tell you they're definitely not Korean; both are/were brothers actually, and are 100% Chinese. Don't know if they actually had any ties with Ginza at Chinook though, unless of course, they sold off "Sushi Ginza" to someone else.

As for the restaurant in the strip mall off 37th St and Richmond Rd., it went by the name of "Sushi Bento," BUT sadly, it's no longer around now. Their service wasn't exactly the best anyway, but that used to be my favourite place for special Sushi items. In any case, I believe the same owners have now opened up a Korean restaurant in place of it; can't quite remember the name though. Been there once, and they had an interesting menu. Good prices, but nothing I've ever tried before. Interesting experience nonetheless.

You're thinking of Fujiyama by the Telus building. Their lunch specials are reasonably priced at $10. Quite a delicious place.

EDIT: I guess I posted a couple seconds too late. Too bad there's no Mt. Fuji in Calgary (yet). Anyone want to open up a Franchise in Calgary? I guarantee you I'll be your number 1 customer! :thumbsup:

frozenrice
09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

Actually, the place in Willow Park is called "Sushi Ginza" and the one in Chinook is just called "Ginza." I knew the owners of "Sushi Ginza" and I can tell you they're definitely not Korean; both are/were brothers actually, and are 100% Chinese. Don't know if they actually had any ties with Ginza at Chinook though, unless of course, they sold off "Sushi Ginza" to someone else.

As for the restaurant in the strip mall off 37th St and Richmond Rd., it went by the name of "Sushi Bento," BUT sadly, it's no longer around now. Their service wasn't exactly the best anyway, but that used to be my favourite place for special Sushi items. In any case, I believe the same owners have now opened up a Korean restaurant in place of it; can't quite remember the name though. Been there once, and they had an interesting menu. Good prices, but nothing I've ever tried before. Interesting experience nonetheless.

I think the two Ginzas were at one time owned by the same people and you're right they were Chinese. There used to be another Japanese restraunt in Avenida (didn't last too long) and the napkins & chopstick wrappers had Ginza, Sushi Ginza and Sumo printed on them so I assumed they were all owned by the same group.

The other place that you're talking about used to be Cherry Bento off of 37th St and 25th Avenue and is now a Korean noodle house. The one I'm talking about is further south at the intersection of 37th and Richmond. It's called Momoyama. I'm pretty sure the owner is Korean based on his last name (can't remember it). The fact that he uses english to speak to the waitress tells me he can't speak Chinese. I know the waitress and a few of the cooks in the back speak Cantonese to each other.

mo_money2supe
09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
^^ Right...Cherry Bento, my bad!

Si_FlyGuy
09-30-2006, 09:52 AM
I tried Misato 45 mins before closing last night. We had the unagi roll, spider roll, miso soup, and their Calgary special roll.

Their Calgary special roll is the best roll that I've ever had in Calgary. I'm not 100% sure what's in it, but I noticed real crab, prawn, salmon, tuna, avocado wrapped in rice and smoked salmon. Great value and super filling.

Unagi was a touch burnt, but it still tasted fresh. Unfortunately i prefer Shikiji's unagi a lot more. Spider roll was above average.

Good: Value - we had to pack half our meal home and expected to pay a lot more when the bill came. Cleaniliness - very clean place with decent chairs. Their drinking water taste filtered...yum. Service was good.

Bad: A/C was turned on high - 1/4 of the patrons left their jackets on. Small menu, a little slow in food preparation, and rice fell apart fairly easily.

i'll definitely go back again. :)

gaijin
09-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I tried Misato 45 mins before closing last night.

As a quick note on the rice thing, it tends to get like that on busy nights (like Friday). If you go on a weekday when they haven't been as busy, the rice is better (more time for prep or something? dunno).

Si_FlyGuy
09-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by gaijin

As a quick note on the rice thing, it tends to get like that on busy nights (like Friday). If you go on a weekday when they haven't been as busy, the rice is better (more time for prep or something? dunno).

Good point. I don't like to go when it's busy, so I go right before or right after. They sure did take their time (30 mins) to prepare the food though, and the a/c just made us even hungrier.

I'm still very pleased with them overall. The Calgary Roll's a great value at $16.95 for a gigantic 8 pc roll.

Shaolin
09-30-2006, 04:26 PM
towa uses different type of rice.. although it's still pretty good.. I like Globefish.. been eating there since they were up by Marlborough Mall

frozenrice
09-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Misato is good, but their take out could be improved. Everytime we've called in and went to pick it up, it was never ready. I'd end up waiting another 15-20 minutes. One time we ordered because we had company coming over. Time was tight as we had to do some other prep before everyone came. I get there and find out they forgot to make the order. I couldn't wait so i asked if I could have it delivered as compensation and they obliged. They sent the dishwasher to deliver it - haha.

mekeni
10-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Tokyo Garden gets a :thumbsup:

TurboMedic
10-01-2006, 06:24 PM
So, all this thread has done is established that we all have different tastes for sushi, and you just gotta try places and find your own fav...

Si_FlyGuy
10-01-2006, 09:55 PM
It certainly narrows it down to 5 great places or so.

Here're my choices:

Best presentation - Shikiji
Best Unagi - Shikiji
Best roll - Calgary Roll at Misato
Best ambiance - Sumo (skanky)/Sakana (not skanky)
Best value - Fujiyama (lunchtime combo)
Best value 2 - Sushi Ichiban (sushi/sashimi for 2 combo)
Best value 3 - Sakana (happy hour)
Most disappointing - Kinjo

I'm still waiting to try Globefish, and from the reviews in this thread, it might blow by a few of these places.

HuMz
10-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by mekeni
Tokyo Garden gets a :thumbsup:

Agreed Tokyo Garden is really good. There isn't really much of a selection south of Chinook, my only complaint is you hear the bass/music from the pool hall right beside it.

And i'd give Sushi Ginza 2nd place. (Willow park one, the chinook location was :barf: )

Altezza
10-02-2006, 12:40 AM

Best roll - Calgary Roll at Misato

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Calgary Special Roll is amazing. I only wish it didn't take so long to make.

msommers
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Ice712
Zipang

That is all...good day.

Tried this place last night, and it was awesome. For the three of us it was ~65 w/o tip and had tea and pop. The unagi there is seriously:drool: +1 for this place. It's in bridgeland, right across the street where the old general hospital used to be

sexualbanana
10-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Can someone tell me what the happy hour at Sakana is?

When does it happen? So far, I've gathered it's at 9pm, but is that everyday?

max_boost
10-07-2006, 01:43 PM
From 2-5pm and the last two hours of operation and it's everyday unless it's been changed.

phreezee
10-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by gatorade
i cant believe some of you said sushi bbq inn, that place is terrible

Agreed, plus the waiting staff are all very rude about reminding about a how much time you have left and tipping. I used to go there occasionally but it's on my BANNED list now.

I tried both Towa and Sushi Boat (same owners) and they get my vote.

GQBalla
10-12-2006, 09:27 AM
sushi bbq inn is horrible.... i went there for lunch one day with a few class mates.... absolutly :barf: tha lady that served us was so rude and disgusting.

when we got our tea,chopsticks and napkins she like threw them at us and juss turned around and left.

waiting time when there was no other customers in there was 15 minutes.....

i gladly did not leave a tip.

clem24
10-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Man I am so surprised this place still exists. I have heard nothing but bad things about BBQ inn.. Mind you, my friends and I used to go there when they were called Shabusen. It was pretty decent back then.

I also remember the snooty white chicks at the table beside us ordered sashimi, but didn't like it and cooked it on the grill. :rolleyes:

gatorade
10-20-2006, 11:52 PM
sushi bbq inn haha i went here 2 years ago and it was terrible

eb0i
10-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I love Yamato:drool:

CRXguy
10-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Any suggestions for Edmonton? I have a craving for sushi tonight. :D

wagovan
10-21-2006, 04:40 PM
sushi Zipang in bridgeland =)
good stuff

Si_FlyGuy
10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by wagovan
sushi Zipang in bridgeland =)
good stuff

Went to Zipang yesterday with my girl. We both agreed that it was above average, but not spectacular. We had the Zipang roll, the house special roll, and the alaskan roll.

msommers
10-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Well I tried Shijiki the other night and I came out impressed. We started out with the salmon appetizers they provided to us all for free and also the tea was excellent. We order california, unagi, spicy tuna and some others I can't remember. All were really good but when they mention spicy, the sauce is definitely hot! Overall, really good and would go again. Best Unagi I have tried yet! No spicy salmon though:confused:

clem24
11-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Rolls are not Zipang's specialities. There are many flashier places for that (Towa, Globe Fish, Misato, etc..).

Instead, ask what is fresh that day (like sushi and sashimi). Usually costs an arm and a leg for a piece (though still moderate for sushi standards). Also try out the grilled Mackerel if you like that. Da BEST!!! :drool:

dam_guy
11-01-2006, 04:39 AM
worked at shikiji when it first opened, and i still gotta say, their sushi is awesome. and its nice to see a japanese restaurant that is actually owned by a japanese person.

my picks would be:

sushi & specialty rolls - towa
overall good place to go - shikiji
sushi & ramen - misai (hell ramen ftw:drool: )

KaiKai
11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Wa's on Centre Street, Globefish on 14St, & Sushi Miki on 16Ave NW, Yummm...:D

went to sushi zipang when they first opened, the food was above avg. but my girlfriend's wooden chopstick was used & stick w/ rice when she pull hers up.