PDA

View Full Version : Where to get wiring for fog lights/gauges etc?

izzoblitzo
09-23-2006, 01:17 PM
If I was to replace some electrical wiring for some aftermarket foglights/gauges etc, what wiring would I use, and where would be the best place to go?

This would just be the electrical from the switch to the power source I think.

It's not like walking into home depot is it? I think it's special wiring perhaps? Would Canadian Tire or Visions/Soundsaround/Futureshop have it? what's it called?

Thanks in advance!

:D

GTS Jeff
09-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Yes, it's "regular" wiring, but there are different thicknesses of wire you can get, measured by "gauge."

What gauge wire you need will depend on the wattage of your bulbs and how long the wiring is.

izzoblitzo
09-23-2006, 01:42 PM
oh.. okay.. sweet. I'll have to check that up. The original wiring I had for my foglights came with, but the switch broke recently, so in replacing the switch, I plan on having the same switch operate other things as well perhaps.

I can just walk into the store and ask for the gauge type?

What about for gauges, being that it's not really a bulb (like indiglow panels, what's the typical gauge type for that?

Will places like autovalue have it?

Thanks!

SubyNinja
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
for lighting that doesn't really draw a whole bunch of current (such as your indiglow), a smaller gauge (larger AWG value) would be fine. As for your fog lights, I would recommend you use a relay to power up the lights. Switches generally don't handle high current flow very well... unless if it's a large ugly toggle! So use the smaller aesthetically pleasing switch to trip the relay to "turn on the power" to the fog lights.

So, having said that, smaller wires (16 or 18AWG) can be used from the switch to the relay, then heavier gauge (12AWG) from the battery to the relay, AND relay to the fog lights.

REMEMBER TO USE A FUSE!

BTW: AWG means American Wire Gauge.

Now, as for places to go get this type of wire... anywhere that would sell wires! Home Depot would have teh 12AWG stuff, but not high stranded = hard to use (not very flexible). The higher strand count in a wire, the more flexible it is and easier to use. The 16AWG stuff at mobile electronics shops are around 20 strands (very flexible). But if you get a 12AWG wire that's 20strands, it won't be as flexible. Another good place to find wires, B&E electronics - large variety, but expensive. Or you can Canada411.ca "electronics supplies" and see what other shops are out there.

There you have it! Hope this helps.

dj_rice
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Princess Auto FTW

FiveFreshFish
09-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Here's the best relay for the fogs. It has two "87" outputs.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/BoschHeadlightRelay.jpg