PDA

View Full Version : New battery, makes things worst..?

Palmiros
09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
The car ran fine, with the old battery, but i was under the impression it did not hold a constant charge (it wouldn't hold power anymore), being old I decided to change it.
Got an Energizer battery from walmart, popped it in, car ran fine. Then it stalled. Next day drove it, ran fine. Today it stalled, while backing up. WHY?
I'm thinking it couldn't be the alternator, power on the battery increases after startup.
I'm taking it in for a check (the battery) tomorrow. Anyone had, or know the possible causes of this?
Thanks

CarbonCopy
09-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Probably your alternator. What kinda voltage is the batt showing at a rev of 3000 RPM?

Patty-T
09-23-2006, 07:41 PM
i had almost the same thing happen with my infiniti...and it was jus cuz i bought some crappy tire battery and stuck it in there and my car ..like i unno it ...refused to charge the battery...i jus got pissed off and went back and got another one and for now its running fine...but yea id jus switch up your battery...cuz i thought it was my alternator too...but it ended up jus being a crappyyyyy ass battery. lol

Palmiros
09-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Patty-T
i had almost the same thing happen with my infiniti...and it was jus cuz i bought some crappy tire battery and stuck it in there and my car ..like i unno it ...refused to charge the battery...i jus got pissed off and went back and got another one and for now its running fine...but yea id jus switch up your battery...cuz i thought it was my alternator too...but it ended up jus being a crappyyyyy ass battery. lol

Yea.. i kinda thought of that.. but it's an Energizer .. I dont know.. I'll just go in tomorrow so they can test it.

Zero102
09-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Any chance it's something unrelated? There are lots of reasons a car would stall.
Just a thought.

Palmiros
09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Any chance it's something unrelated? There are lots of reasons a car would stall.
Just a thought.

I doubt it? As i said, car ran fine with previous battery.

CarbonCopy
09-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros

I doubt it? As i said, car ran fine with previous battery.

Heres what I think happened... The old battery wouldnt hold a charge well (ie, alternator/charging unit) and you replaced it with a battery that possibly has some problems, and is worse. This battery holds a charge even less. To the point where the car will stall. Go into a partstore and get your alternator tested, they do it in-car with a handheld diagnotics unit.

Best of luck to ya!

Palmiros
09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks.

Whats this I hear about the computer needing to "re-learn the codes"?

http://tinyurl.com/rqfwj

I've read about this in different topics. Does this apply to all cars?

GTS Jeff
09-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Corroded battery terminals/connectors or bad grounds is another possibility.