PDA

View Full Version : Account of daily life in baghdad by an american

googe
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-letter20sep20,1,226790.story

BAGHDAD — On a recent Sunday, I was buying groceries in my beloved Amariya neighborhood in western Baghdad when I heard the sound of an AK-47 for about three seconds. It was close but not very close, so I continued shopping.

As I took a right turn on Munadhama Street, I saw a man lying on the ground in a small pool of blood. He wasn't dead.

The idea of stopping to help or to take him to a hospital crossed my mind, but I didn't dare. Cars passed without stopping. Pedestrians and shop owners kept doing what they were doing, pretending nothing had happened.

I was still looking at the wounded man and blaming myself for not stopping to help. Other shoppers peered at him from a distance, sorrowful and compassionate, but did nothing.

I went on to another grocery store, staying for about five minutes while shopping for tomatoes, onions and other vegetables. During that time, the man managed to sit up and wave to passing cars. No one stopped. Then, a white Volkswagen pulled up. A passenger stepped out with a gun, walked steadily to the wounded man and shot him three times. The car took off down a side road and vanished.

No one did anything. No one lifted a finger. The only reaction came from a woman in the grocery store. In a low voice, she said, "My God, bless his soul."

I went home and didn't dare tell my wife. I did not want to frighten her.

I've lived in my neighborhood for 25 years. My daughters went to kindergarten and elementary school here. I'm a Christian. My neighbors are mostly Sunni Arabs. We had always lived in harmony. Before the U.S.-led invasion, we would visit for tea and a chat. On summer afternoons, we would meet on the corner to joke and talk politics.

It used to be a nice upper-middle-class neighborhood, bustling with commerce and traffic. On the main street, ice cream parlors, hamburger stands and take-away restaurants competed for space. We would rent videos and buy household appliances.

Until 2005, we were mostly unaffected by violence. We would hear shootings and explosions now and again, but compared with other places in Baghdad, it was relatively peaceful.

Then, late in 2005, someone blew up three supermarkets in the area. Shops started closing. Most of the small number of Shiite Muslim families moved out. The commercial street became a ghost road.

On Christmas Day last year, we visited — as always — our local church, St. Thomas, in Mansour. It was half-empty. Some members of the congregation had left the country; others feared coming to church after a series of attacks against Christians.

American troops, who patrol the neighborhood in Humvees, have also become edgy. Get too close, and they'll shoot. A colleague — an interpreter and physician — was shot and killed by soldiers last year on his way home from a shopping trip. He hadn't noticed the Humvees parked on the street.

By early this year, living in my neighborhood had become a nightmare. In addition to anti-American graffiti, there were fliers telling women to wear conservative clothes and to cover their hair. Men were told not to wear shorts or jeans.

For me, as a Christian, it was unacceptable that someone would tell my wife and daughters what to wear. What's the use of freedom if someone is telling you what to wear, how to behave or what to do in your life?

But coming home one day, I saw my wife on the street. I didn't recognize her. She had covered up.

After the attack on the Shiite shrine of the Golden Dome in Samarra in February, Shiite gunmen tried to raid Sunni mosques in my neighborhood. One night, against the backdrop of heavy shooting, we heard the cleric calling for help through the mosque's loudspeakers. We stayed up all night, listening as they battled for the mosque. It made me feel unsafe. If a Muslim would shoot another Muslim, what would they do to a Christian?

Fear dictates everything we do.

I see my neighbors less and less. When I go out, I say hello and that's it. I fear someone will ask questions about my job working for Americans, which could put me in danger. Even if he had no ill will toward me, he might talk and reveal an identifying detail. We're afraid of an enemy among us. Someone we don't know. It's a cancer.

In March, assassinations started in our neighborhood. Early one evening, I was sitting in my garden with my wife when we heard several gunshots. I rushed to the gate to see what was going on, despite my wife's pleas to stay inside. My neighbors told me that gunmen had dropped three men from a car and shot them in the street before driving off. No one dared approach the victims to find out who they were.

The bodies remained there until the next morning. The police or the American military probably picked them up, but I don't know. They simply disappeared.

The sounds of shootings and explosions are now commonplace. We don't know who is shooting whom, or who has been targeted. We don't know why, and we're afraid to ask or help. We too could get shot. Bringing someone to the hospital or to the police is out of the question. Nobody trusts the police, and nobody wants to answer questions.

I feel sad, bitter and frustrated — sad because a human life is now worth nothing in this country; bitter because people no longer help each other; and frustrated because I can't help either. If I'm targeted one day, I'm sure no one will help me.

I was very happy when my eldest daughter married an American. First, because there was love between them, but also because she would be able to leave Iraq, and I wouldn't have to worry about her safety day after day. She left last year.

If you had asked me a year ago whether I would consider leaving Iraq, I would have said maybe, but without enthusiasm. Now it's a definite yes. Things are going from bad to worse, and I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Four weeks ago, I came home from work. As I reached my street, I saw a man lying in a pool of blood. Someone had covered him with bits of cardboard. This was the best they could do. No one dared move him.

I drove on.

AcuraTl
09-24-2006, 03:49 PM
thank you Mr. Bush

01RedDX
09-24-2006, 03:59 PM

riceeater
09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah... too bad the killings cant go on behind closed doors like before, and too bad they dont happent at teh scale of whole villages at a time :poosie:

jay42w8
09-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Super_Geo
09-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by riceeater
yeah... too bad the killings cant go on behind closed doors like before, and too bad they dont happent at teh scale of whole villages at a time :poosie:

Edited for historical accuracy ;)

yeah... too bad the killings cant go on behind closed doors like before, and too bad they dont happent at teh scale of whole villages at a time* :poosie:

*by means of gassing with chemical weapons (bought from the USA). Gassing which, by the way, were condoned by the US administration at the time that they were carried out

creeper
09-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Pack your shit up and move home.

No sympathy for anyone who willingly stays in those countries.

:closed:

95EagleAWD
09-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by creeper

Thanks for beating me to it.

Lexxan
09-24-2006, 11:46 PM
^ werd. fuck off

googe
09-25-2006, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Thanks for beating me to it.

how? the majority of the country has no means to leave and nowhere to go.

evidently you missed the obvious issue here. if you thought the message was that there is a sad reporter over there, you either didnt think, or you tried to think but failed.

the story is meant to offer perspective into the current situation over there.

conservatives seem to just instinctively refute things without giving any thought to the issue at hand :nut:

95EagleAWD
09-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by googe

how? the majority of the country has no means to leave and nowhere to go.

evidently you missed the obvious issue here. if you thought the message was that there is a sad reporter over there, you either didnt think, or you tried to think but failed.

the story is meant to offer perspective into the current situation over there.

conservatives seem to just instinctively refute things without giving any thought to the issue at hand :nut:

We're not talking about the majority of the country. We're talking about an American citizen who willingly stays in a War Zone and complains about it. It's like going swimming with lead weights around your ankles and complaining about drowning.

Toma
09-25-2006, 10:23 AM
good read :thumbsup:

Get Saddam back in there. He'll fix it :poosie:

googe
09-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

We're not talking about the majority of the country. We're talking about an American citizen who willingly stays in a War Zone and complains about it. It's like going swimming with lead weights around your ankles and complaining about drowning.

no, we arent. it has nothing at all to do with one american citizen. what that one person does has no bearing on whether or not the same situation changes for the thousands of other people that live there. if he left, this is still what everyone else is going through.

nadroj23
09-25-2006, 02:50 PM
:whocares: :whocares: :whocares:

Toma
09-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23
:whocares: :whocares: :whocares:
drooler alert :drool:

95EagleAWD
09-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by googe

no, we arent. it has nothing at all to do with one american citizen. what that one person does has no bearing on whether or not the same situation changes for the thousands of other people that live there. if he left, this is still what everyone else is going through.

You aren't going to make me feel guilty about what the population of Iraq has been going through since practically forever... this account (by the title of your thread) was written by a person holding an American Passport and has every opportunity to pack up and leave if living conditions aren't up to his standard.

max_boost
09-25-2006, 03:56 PM
haha WTF

The whole point of the article is to let everyone know what life is like in Iraq. It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for the guy and the writer is not asking for any sympathy either.

Super_Geo
09-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
haha WTF

The whole point of the article is to let everyone know what life is like in Iraq. It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for the guy and the writer is not asking for any sympathy either.

Nail. Head. Hit.

http://monkeyslum.com/dark/images/M_Dark_pic_25.jpg

eljefe
09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
haha WTF

Bingo

eljefe
09-25-2006, 06:14 PM

According to the U.N. report, the number of Iraqi civilians killed in July and August hit 6,599, a record-high that is far greater than initial estimates suggested, the U.N. report said Wednesday.

Your absolutely right, sounds more like its on a scale of large villages at a time.

NGRPLZ.NET
09-25-2006, 06:22 PM
No, that's just ineffective usage of WMD. Glad saddam didnt have time to use them.. otherwise there would be big smouldering holes in that country.

AcuraTl
09-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by NGRPLZ.NET
No, that's just ineffective usage of WMD. Glad saddam didnt have time to use them.. otherwise there would be big smouldering holes in that country.

stupid nigger...:D :drama:

creeper
09-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I realize the point of the article. We get it. Iraq blows.

So ...

Pack you shit up and move home.

Your not helping anyone, nor will you in the future.

Come home, turn off the television, and forget that place. It can never be saved ... ever.

No sympathy ... still.

nismodrifter
09-25-2006, 09:42 PM

So ...

Pack you shit up and move home.

Your not helping anyone, nor will you in the future.

Come home, turn off the television, and forget that place. It can never be saved ... ever.

No sympathy ... still.

Riiigghhht..... I still don't think you get the point of the article.

Reading Comprehension >> You

creeper
09-25-2006, 09:43 PM
:zzz:

A3GTiVR6SC
09-25-2006, 09:51 PM

No sympathy ... still.

no you dont... :rofl: refer to quote below.

haha WTF

Originally posted by nismodrifter

Riiigghhht..... I still don't think you get the point of the article.

Reading Comprehension >> You

hahaha :werd:

creeper
09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
We know things were bad before. We know things have gotten worse. We get it. I didn't need this article to tell me that ...

I understand that he is trying to illustrate what life is like in Iraq. Pools of blood, car-bombings, random shootings. Another day in the life of anyone in Iraq.

So ... don't put yourself through it if you don't have to. Most people don't give a fuck about that war, or the people in those countries. Hell, I would be willing to bet that many people in Canada couldn't name our own Prime Minister. The people who care, and are interested in the war, can paint themselves a picture of what life in Iraq is like. The people who do not care, and are not interested, won't be reading this article.

I don't need someone telling me what life is like for Iraqi's, I can guess. It's hell. We know.

CalgarySupra
09-28-2006, 11:43 PM
oh no! the drama. was this durring saddam? or after saddam.

sacarcasim:dunno: