PDA

View Full Version : Honda unveils ultra-clean diesel system

barbarian
09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
This is only good news. Clean diesel engines have been the holy grail for quite a white. I see also that Honda says they will license it out.

HAGA-GUN, Japan (Reuters) -- Japan's Honda Motor Co. has done it again.

The car maker that floored the world in the 1970s with the first gasoline engine to meet U.S. clean air guidelines without a catalytic converter said it has developed a new and simple diesel powertrain that is as clean as gasoline-fuelled cars.

The technology marks a big step forward for Honda at a time when rivals are racing to come up with ways to clear the world's strictest emissions regulations, called Tier II Bin 5, that the United States will usher in next year.

Diesel engines, which now power half of Europe's new cars, are slowly gaining traction with fuel-conscious consumers around the world since they typically get 30 percent better mileage than gasoline cars. Their weakness has been the higher exhaust levels of nitrogen oxide (NOx), a greenhouse gas.

Honda said on Monday its new diesel drivetrain features a unique method that generates and stores ammonia within a two-layer catalytic converter to turn nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen.

Honda engineers said the technology is superior to a process pioneered by Germany's DaimlerChrysler AG because the latter requires a complex system and heavy add-ons to generate ammonia from urea-based additives.

Some technical hurdles remain.

The system would need fine-tuning for the wide-ranging types of diesel fuel found in the United States. Honda also needs to develop technology to measure emissions levels according to U.S. On-Board Diagnostic System requirements.

But Japan's third-biggest auto maker said it planned to roll out the advanced diesel engine in the United States within three years. DaimlerChrysler, which along with Volkswagen AG already sells diesel cars in the world's biggest auto market, is preparing its next-generation diesel car for a 2008 launch.

"Just as we paved the way for cleaner gasoline engines, we will take the leadership in the progress of diesel engines," Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui told a news conference at the auto maker's R&D center north of Tokyo.

Fukui said Honda would be "open to considering" the licensing of its new diesel technology once it was perfected.

Honda has long been at the forefront of green powertrain technology, perhaps most famously with the development in 1973 of the CVCC (Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion) engine which gave the popular Civic its name.

Earlier this year, it became the first in the world to announce voluntary global carbon dioxide reduction targets for its products and production processes.

... continued (http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/09/24/honda_diesel.reut/index.html)

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Pimp... it's because Honda is just great

*puts on flame suit*

haha you have to admit, they are innovative, I mean look at the power they manage to squeeze out of 1.6L engines... not saying they're the most powerful, but still pretty cool :thumbsup:

rc2002
09-25-2006, 12:31 AM
:rofl: at his name. Fukui. hahaha.

But seriously Diesel FTW. Every person I talk to from Europe tells me about how clean burning diesel is over there unlike the diesel vehicles here.

vadeit
09-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
:rofl: at his name. Fukui. hahaha.

But seriously Diesel FTW. Every person I talk to from Europe tells me about how clean burning diesel is over there unlike the diesel vehicles here.

From what I have heard it is because of the low sulphur diesel that they have in Europe. Burns cleaner and better giving more power with less emissions.

Zero102
09-25-2006, 01:13 AM
We now have the low sulphur diesel here. The changeover is almost complete.

I am all for Honda refining their diesel technology. I am sick of VW having the market cornered on passenger car diesels in north america. I can't wait to see a civic diesel, so long as the price stays reasonable.

Proboscis
09-25-2006, 05:48 AM
The failure rate of GM's 350 olds engine ruined the reputation of diesel engines in general in the North American market. Coupled with weak headbolts and poor quality diesel fuel, led to catastrophic failure . The sigma hung around like a dark cloud for years. Go to see more manufacturers coming to the North American market again.

BlueFrenzy
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Good find

Hope this goes into production in the very near future ... never know when the next gas price hike will be.