PDA

View Full Version : Punching bag and weight training - too much?

Stupid Flanders
09-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know if use of a punching bag in the days between weight training violates the rule of letting your muscles rest 48 hours between workouts? I've set up a routine that would have me doing weight training on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, with some heavy bag training on Sundays and Thursdays. I'm just wondering if punching that much would be enough to hinder the muscles ability to recover after weight training.

A790
09-29-2006, 07:02 PM
The punching bag typically is more of a coordination/cardio workout. As long as you aren't straining yourself while you're doing it I'd say you're fine.

ecstasy_civic
09-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Stupid Flanders
Does anyone know if use of a punching bag in the days between weight training violates the rule of letting your muscles rest 48 hours between workouts? I've set up a routine that would have me doing weight training on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, with some heavy bag training on Sundays and Thursdays. I'm just wondering if punching that much would be enough to hinder the muscles ability to recover after weight training.

Negative, swing away:thumbsup:

Eken9
09-30-2006, 12:04 AM
The only problem I can think of that might "hinder" your results is you're burning a lot of calories doing punching. It adds up quick, week by week, those calories you're using could be used for building muscle. But if you're replacing those calories that you're using so you're not in deficit then go ahead. I just think it's a little hard to replace calories. If you're cutting or maintaining u should be fine, just don't expect to get and look any bigger.

Stupid Flanders
09-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm not really concerned with getting bigger, I just want to build up power and speed.

I tried it this week, and while I'm feeling wiped, I think it should work out all right. I think I'll just go easy on the weights on Wednesdays.

pinoyhero
10-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Be sure to get enough sleep and food! People constantly forget those two keys to success. If your overtraining you wont do yourself any good, you got to fuel and rest your body for it to progress.