PDA

View Full Version : Electrical permit for basement

Watcher
09-24-2006, 10:41 PM
What happens if a basement is developed without an electrical permit?

Will it cause problems for me when I go to sell? What should I do as a buyer if I find a house with a developed basement? What about insurance companies?

If we discuss discuss this, can we focus on typical scenarios, not just worst case scenarios?

My plans are to install some light switches and outlets in my basement, and there is enough wiring in existance that I don't need to be a rocket scientist to keep it within code.

However, it just rubs me wrong that I have to do up a detailed plan, spend 2 hrs in a line up at city hall, just so I can pay them $200. Then, someone that probably knows less about wiring than I do, is going to tour through my excellent work, and possibly nail me with some petty issue just to valid his job.... most homeowners can relate with me, right?

Tik-Tok
09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
If you get caught doing electrical work without a permit, it's a fine (not that big though)

It'll only cause problems in future selling, if the future buyers ask to see your electrical permit for what you did. As a buyer, ask to see the permit.

If your house goes up in flames because of undocumented electrical work, you can kiss your insurance money goodbye.

I agree 100% its annoying, but it really should be documented. 2 hours in line and $200, could save you $300,000 if your house went up in flames.

danno
09-24-2006, 10:56 PM
basically you should get a permit, and get a registered electrician to do it. if you do it just make sure you know the code rules.

lot's of people don't have permits for basements but if you were to get caught you could get sued

Watcher
09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm a careful worker when it comes to my own home. ie I'm not worried about my house going up in flames from my electrical work. I'm more than capable of buying the same type of wire that is already showing in the ceiling of my basement.and as far as hooking up an outlet or a light switch, I think I can handle it :rolleyes: I have 12 years in electronics, but I don't want this to degress to electical vs electronics debate.

Actually, if we are going to worry about crappy workmanship, I should worry about the hung over apprentices that probably did most of the work in my house. I know from experience that they broke my exterior GFI outlet ( over-torqued it until it snapped) and still shoved it into the wall. so that when I wiggled a plug in it, it would trip the main breaker in the basement. WTF is that all about, eh?

I guess I see alot of double standards like only an electrician should change the outlets in my house, yet I can buy them for $1 a peice and do it myself?.......but "shhhhh, don't tell anyone or the insurance companies will have your nuts over an open fire".... so I hire an electrician, and I end up with "Mikey, the village idiot" who lucked out and got his apprenticeship with an employer that won't even keep him after his 3-4th year.

wheeww!!! sorry about the rant, guys.

Nate
09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
You need to have it inspected by a city inspector.

Worst Case: He is a dick and tells you that you have to show him the work. If it is a finished basement he could have you take all the drywall off.

You dont need to pull a permit to just change plugs in your house. That you can do yourself.

Billet
09-25-2006, 10:20 AM
you taxes will go up once any of the permits are complete.

even if your only in elec. stage... it is considered developed by the city.

danno
09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
i wouldn't judge anyone, but if you do wire it all yourself the inspector will know that a electrician didn't do it. it still may pass code but he will get more anal and check everything over. where as a electrician does it the inspector may come in look at one room see that is done neatly and properly, then leave. it really comes down to money and saftey.

yes there are alot of bad electrician's but there's also alot of good ones. that goes for every career.

topmade
09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I just did up my basement and did everything except for the electrical part. Yes I could of done it my self, but since this is a new house and I have a lot invested into it, I decided to go safe just in case something happens like your house going up in flames and insurance giving you the big thumbs down because you did not have a permit for the electrical work in the basement.

The company I went with was very fast and came out in less then 1 week and did everything. They were a bit costly but I actually feel much better about it being done with the permit. They charged by per unit and actually gave me some outlets for free at $49 each.

Xtrema
09-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Billet
you taxes will go up once any of the permits are complete.

even if your only in elec. stage... it is considered developed by the city.

No.

City only charges if you get the builidng permit. Electric permit doesn't trigger taxes. I know because we've been doing that for the past 20 years for 3 houses now.

Fortunately, left hand doesn't talk to the right hand so unless someone from assessment found out you have a built basement, you'll never have to pay tax for it.

As for paying a electrician to do the work, if you think you can do it as good and up to code, by all means save the money and do it. As long as the inspecter passes it and you're good to go.

HHURICANE1
09-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Just be aware that if there are any problems, ie. fire, your insurance company can and probably will deny coverage. Permits are there to protect you.

Iqoair
09-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Permits are there to protect us , the consumer. Get one. After watching the house across the street burn down to the ground from an electrical fire, I would never ever think twice about getting a permit and doing things properly. Then you don't have to worry about it. There are alot of people that can't and shouldn't handle eletrical work that do, and that's what they are trying to protect us from. This is a good thing. Not sure why you aren't seeing the bigger picture. Your allowed to do your own work, but you just need a permit.

http://www.albertapermitpro.com/index_electrical.html

Originally posted by Watcher
I'm a careful worker when it comes to my own home. ie I'm not worried about my house going up in flames from my electrical work. I'm more than capable of buying the same type of wire that is already showing in the ceiling of my basement.and as far as hooking up an outlet or a light switch, I think I can handle it :rolleyes: I have 12 years in electronics, but I don't want this to degress to electical vs electronics debate.

Actually, if we are going to worry about crappy workmanship, I should worry about the hung over apprentices that probably did most of the work in my house. I know from experience that they broke my exterior GFI outlet ( over-torqued it until it snapped) and still shoved it into the wall. so that when I wiggled a plug in it, it would trip the main breaker in the basement. WTF is that all about, eh?

I guess I see alot of double standards like only an electrician should change the outlets in my house, yet I can buy them for $1 a peice and do it myself?.......but "shhhhh, don't tell anyone or the insurance companies will have your nuts over an open fire".... so I hire an electrician, and I end up with "Mikey, the village idiot" who lucked out and got his apprenticeship with an employer that won't even keep him after his 3-4th year.

wheeww!!! sorry about the rant, guys.

NGRPLZ.NET
09-25-2006, 07:48 PM
He's probably wiring in a grow-op and doesnt want an inspector to show up.

Zero102
09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Lots of properly installed inspected work also goes up in flames. Don't sterotype about having an electrician do something against having a homeowner do something.

For example, the house I am living in now was built 55 years ago. All of the electrical was done to code, however when I removed a light to replace it with a fan, I find that all of the insulation on the wires has turned to dust from 55 years of heating and cooling. Essentially I had a box full of bare wires that didn't short out by some strange twist of fate.
Nothing wrong with the installation, all of the work was inspected and done to code when the house was built, it's just old.

That said, isn't there an exemption? Work under $1000 requires no permit or something like that?....
I always thought there was. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I've never had to pull a permit so I don't know for sure, but if there is, it would sure be a lot easier, no?

On the topic of insurance, I was renting a house a year or two ago, and the electrical had been completely redone but not inspected (panel and everything). There were no inspection stickers, no company names, nothing. The insurance company complained at first, then agreed to insure if it they could inspect it first. They came out, poked around, took off a couple of plugs, looked at the panel and such then insured it no problem.

Iqoair
10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Lots of properly installed inspected work also goes up in flames. Don't sterotype about having an electrician do something against having a homeowner do something.

For example, the house I am living in now was built 55 years ago. All of the electrical was done to code, however when I removed a light to replace it with a fan, I find that all of the insulation on the wires has turned to dust from 55 years of heating and cooling. Essentially I had a box full of bare wires that didn't short out by some strange twist of fate.
Nothing wrong with the installation, all of the work was inspected and done to code when the house was built, it's just old.

That said, isn't there an exemption? Work under $1000 requires no permit or something like that?....
I always thought there was. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I've never had to pull a permit so I don't know for sure, but if there is, it would sure be a lot easier, no?

On the topic of insurance, I was renting a house a year or two ago, and the electrical had been completely redone but not inspected (panel and everything). There were no inspection stickers, no company names, nothing. The insurance company complained at first, then agreed to insure if it they could inspect it first. They came out, poked around, took off a couple of plugs, looked at the panel and such then insured it no problem.

Nothing wrong with doing the work yourself, just get a damn permit!!! That way your ass is covered if something WAS to happen. I'm sure alot of home owners can do great work, or even better than some journeyman electricians.

mekeni
10-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Iqoair

Nothing wrong with doing the work yourself, just get a damn permit!!! That way your ass is covered if something WAS to happen. I'm sure alot of home owners can do great work, or even better than some journeyman electricians.

:werd:

Black_ZX2
10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Get a permit. I think it was only about $85 when I got the permit to do my basement. And there was no line-up downtown. I was in and out in about 20 minutes, and that includes waiting in line and then waiting to talk to the building inspector about my plans. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind knowing that a professional looked at it. The inspector came, looked at a couple of things and passed it. No problems, no questions. Inspectors get a bad rep for being jerks, but both the electrical inspector and building inspector were very nice and easy to deal with.