PDA

View Full Version : Removing Side Molding/Gaurds

azndragon1234
09-25-2006, 06:49 PM
How much does shaving the side of the door, removing and filling the holes back up cost? Any good suggestions and good prices?

schurchill39
09-25-2006, 06:51 PM
do it yourself?

mazda_maniac
09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Some vehicles are just attached by 3m double sides tape. Look it up, ask other owners of your car. Other cars have holes, which can be filled and if you bondo/sand yourself then go get it painted it shouldn't be too bad, just inquire yourself. Ignore the dude above you he obviously doesn't know that the tack holes from some mouldings on certain cars, will have to have the panels painted again to achieve the best possible finish.

schurchill39
09-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
Some vehicles are just attached by 3m double sides tape. Look it up, ask other owners of your car. Other cars have holes, which can be filled and if you bondo/sand yourself then go get it painted it shouldn't be too bad, just inquire yourself. Ignore the dude above you he obviously doesn't know that the tack holes from some mouldings on certain cars, will have to have the panels painted again to achieve the best possible finish.

Uh I know the difference as I have done them before. Its not a difficult project.

If its just stuck on with double sided tape or an adhesive, heat the moulding up with a heat gun (carefull not to hold it in one place for to long) and take fishing line and run it behind the moulding. After that get rid of the residue with something like "goo-gone".

If your moulding is cliped in with holes in your door, remove the moulding then get some one to weld the holes up. You can also apply filler right over them if you wish but I recommend welding. After that: apply filler, sand and then have the panels repainted.

The reason I said do it yourself because its quite easy to do; even if your just getting into body work.