PDA

View Full Version : FYI Skyline Owners

MrPid
09-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Just a tidbit of info for anybody that owns an imported skyline.

Was in a buddie's shop the other day and a friend of his had imported a skyline and wanted him to certify it. He wouldn't do it though - wasn't willing to put his stamp on the thing...and the reason why was:

When he called the inspections dept. for any skyline specific instructions, he was told that there was specific paperwork related to skylines and supposedly faxed him a copy. He was also told that all of the skylines being passed were being flagged at the department for later follow-up for compliance and that they just didn't have the manpower at the moment but they were planning on revisiting them later - issuing a letter to all registered owners. Further, if any mechanics were found at fault for passing them (even for something as small as a DOT/SAE stamped headlight) then there would be a price to pay. I don't know why but it seems they have a hardon for skylines...

The Department's positive that they were not meeting code did not appear to meet code and were getting passed anyways. Anyways, they plan to reinspect every one of them!

My mechanic buddie suggested that a kit was avialable for 3500 from somebody out of Vancouver that included everything to go compliant but the other guy didn't go for it.

Anyways, just passing it on for anybody that could use it...

95EagleAWD
09-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Stupid that it would only be for Skylines... it would be for Silvias, Fairladys, Supras, RX-7s... anything JDM you can get.

mx73someday
09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
This has been discussed to death already, please search. A lot of what you said sounds like the typical rumor going around.

Specifically the stuff about reinspection sounds like crap to me, no one has posted any official facts regarding this so called reinspection that is to take place.

Mandatory reinspection is stupid, you could get a cracked windshield the day after you pass your inspection and your car would not pass the out-of-province. Most of the normal cars on the road would fail an out-of-province inspection.

Also, you could take the same car to two different mechanics and they would find a different set of problems because of they way they check for failures, why would it be your fault if your mechanic genuinely missed a bunch of things?

I have speculated before that you could remove all the items the OOP specifies like DOT and SAE equipment, and things like third brake lights and daytime running lights and be 100% street legal according to the Equipment sections of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act. I speculate that no traffic officer could give you a ticket for changing your parts back to stock. Read the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, the equipment standards are different from the OOP guide.

MrPid
09-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Wow...have you tried valium for that?

I'm just the messenger...don't shoot me...I was just there for the phone call.

Speculate all day if you really want to - I don't care - and neither will the person interpreting the letter of the law.

But if you own one of these then heads up and do whatever you want with the info.

msommers
09-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Not your fault but hard to believe, especially after that whole 25 year bullshit

schurchill39
09-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by MrPid

Speculate all day if you really want to - I don't care - and neither will the person interpreting the letter of the law.

But if you own one of these then heads up and do whatever you want with the info.

mx73someday is in the importing business, anything like that would directly effect him and his company so he would more then likely know of any changes like the ones you mentioned.

Like he said, this topic has been discussed time and time again without any evidence besides the "I heard/he heard". I know you were just relaying a possible message but I to think its :bullshit:

ninjak84
09-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MrPid

He wasn't blowing up at you, just stating the obvious.

We're all aware of the hassle that JDM cars get. But insurance agents are not hiding in your bushes waiting for you to go to sleep so they can ticket your Skyline. Some agencies are more strict on JDM cars, some don't care.

Skylines being "flagged for follow up"? Yeah, that stack of papers is big enough to fill up the Saddledome! Insurance companies will never have enough manpower to meddle as much as they want to :rofl:

MrPid
09-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

He wasn't blowing up at you, just stating the obvious.

We're all aware of the hassle that JDM cars get. But insurance agents are not hiding in your bushes waiting for you to go to sleep so they can ticket your Skyline. Some agencies are more strict on JDM cars, some don't care.

Skylines being "flagged for follow up"? Yeah, that stack of papers is big enough to fill up the Saddledome! Insurance companies will never have enough manpower to meddle as much as they want to :rofl:

Well, I hope they aren't hiding in bushes either - frankly that's a bit of a disturbing image. Regardless, I don't think it's insurance agents we're talking about here - it's government stuff - RIV, TSB, and DOT.

I also don't think mx73someday's import business is likely to be too hurt by it. If you can afford to import one, you can afford to get hassled over it.

As I said before, I was simply there for the conversation between the inspecting mechanic and a government employee of that department...

ninjak84
09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
It's not much of a worry anyway... Import Concern already gets the OOP done for their vehicles. Getting the car legalized is worked into the cost I'm sure, but it's alot of time & effort saved for us buyers :D

As for that garage and this instance: Someone is always willing to do the work. I can list 5 garages off the top of my head that do OOP inspection's.

95EagleAWD
09-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Acutally, for Skyline (and any JDM) owners, this doesn't concern them at all.

If the car is already imported and registered, it can't be deported. Just look at the 10-15 EVOs running around Canada.

crXbuSit
09-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

If the car is already imported and registered, it can't be deported. Just look at the 10-15 EVOs running around Canada.

:werd: no one is taking my skyline away :guns:

4WARNED
09-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I'll second that....they won't be taking my EVO ( and i think there's only 9 of them)....:bigpimp: