PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a financial planner

Strider
09-25-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm at the point where i need to balance my income, a mortgage, investments, stock options, etc so that I can make the best use of my earnings, but it's all a bit over my head.

Has anyone used a financial planner that they particularly liked?

asuth077
09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
My company goes through Hamilton + Partners.

I just met with mine for the first time last week but he seems pretty good.

If you want more info you can PM me.

broken_legs
09-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I'm at the point where i need to balance my income, a mortgage, investments, stock options, etc so that I can make the best use of my earnings, but it's all a bit over my head.

Has anyone used a financial planner that they particularly liked?

Dont waste your time at TD Bank or with Waterhouse if you do your banking there. They will set you up with a Waterhouse Planner who will flog Mutualy Funds at you non stop, but who only takes on people with lots of cash to invest- My 10k investment and monthly additions wasnt enough... Then they send you over to talk to a Financial Advisor who works for TD who can only sell you TD Brand* mutual funds that have weak returns in the best of years. Total waste of time unless you like to lock money away into your RRSP and watch it lose out to inflation.

If anyone knows of someone (a financial Planner or other) that you can sit down with and begin to plan a strategy of investing and money management strategies with I'd really like to meet that person!

:)

Strider
09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Anyone?

Canmorite
09-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I nominate myself...

jk:poosie:

Paul
09-29-2006, 07:17 PM
I know it kinda sucks to hear this but unless you got lots of money, or your parents do...you're kinda SOL. I'm a junior associate on a team of advisor's for an international brokerage. Our team won't touch an account that's under $250K (and that's pushing it). Many of the other larger brokerages are the same. If your parents have investments somewhere, you might want to see if their broker will open you up an account.

If you (or your parents) have the bling you can try:

- CIBC Wood Gundy
- BMO Nesbitt Burns
- RBC Dominion Securities
- Scotia McLeod
- Dundee
- TD Waterhouse
- Peters & Co.

There's lots of these firms out there, you just have to show you have money, and be prepared to pay higher comissions.

If you want to manage your own money, with out investment advice or financial coucil your best bet is an online brokerage. I won't list any because this topic's been exhausted before on this site.

If you have an RRSP and some funds to invest, I'd strongly recommend sitting with a financial planner, wherever you bank. It's a great place to start, they'll probably be limited in what kinds of products they can offer you (mostly mutual funds). Mutual funds aren't necessairly a bad thing, they're more for the unsophisticated investor that wants somebody to manage the money for them.

Build a relationship with your bank and they try to work your way up into their full-service brokerage when you get the big bucks.

Hope any of this helped.

jus_sum_guy
09-29-2006, 07:26 PM
TE Financial

Kritafo
09-29-2006, 07:28 PM
David Jones, he is one of the guys you hear on the radio a million times a day, he is fantastic. Wealthstreet is the company. I have dealt with both Dave and some others on his team they are all good.

Kritafo

Paul
09-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
David Jones, he is one of the guys you hear on the radio a million times a day, he is fantastic. Wealthstreet is the company. I have dealt with both Dave and some others on his team they are all good.

Kritafo

Yikes, I just went onto their website...looks kinda sketchy.

The two investments on his main page were real estate and buying a debit machine franchise....this doesn't exactly create a very diversified portfolio.

"WEALTHSTREET Inc. is a boutique investment firm managing over $100 million in assets. ... " -- pretty small time.

Strider
09-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the leads, but I guess I should have clarified.

I'm not really looking for a mutual fund salesman, nor any new investments. I think I can handle that part on my own through my TD waterhouse online brokerage.

Really, what I'm looking for is someone (who I'll be paying an hourly rate, not commissions) to help me form a plan... I'm basicaly balancing my income, self directed RRSP, company stock savings plan, company stock options vs. a mortgage; all of which have different future values and tax implications. I want to make sure I'm using my money to its 100% full potential.

Is there any financial planners out there who aren't just investment salespeople?

thx

j_gor78
09-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Dont waste your time at TD Bank or with Waterhouse if you do your banking there. They will set you up with a Waterhouse Planner who will flog Mutualy Funds at you non stop, but who only takes on people with lots of cash to invest- My 10k investment and monthly additions wasnt enough... Then they send you over to talk to a Financial Advisor who works for TD who can only sell you TD Brand* mutual funds that have weak returns in the best of years. Total waste of time unless you like to lock money away into your RRSP and watch it lose out to inflation.

If anyone knows of someone (a financial Planner or other) that you can sit down with and begin to plan a strategy of investing and money management strategies with I'd really like to meet that person!

:)

I think my mom does that kind of stuff...I don't really listen to what is going on I just give her my money and tell her to make it work....but she is getting me all my taxes back this year and she developed a way that I can pay off my student loan of $20k+ in about a year....she does mortages and I don't know what all else....but I am sure she will sit down with you or anyone for that matter and see what she can do for you....she developed a money strategy for me and so far it's working...and it isn't killing my pocket book to do it...I still blow too much money on my vehicles...lol

Her name is Judi her cell is 403-560-7033 tell her Jason her son sent you...

broken_legs
10-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Thanks for the leads, but I guess I should have clarified.

I'm not really looking for a mutual fund salesman, nor any new investments. I think I can handle that part on my own through my TD waterhouse online brokerage.

Really, what I'm looking for is someone (who I'll be paying an hourly rate, not commissions) to help me form a plan... I'm basicaly balancing my income, self directed RRSP, company stock savings plan, company stock options vs. a mortgage; all of which have different future values and tax implications. I want to make sure I'm using my money to its 100% full potential.

Is there any financial planners out there who aren't just investment salespeople?

thx

:werd:

Me too! Let me know if you find someone. So far the closest thing to a 'financial planner' I can think of is an accountant and a tax lawyer team, but I don't think I'm at a stage where I can justify the cost yet.

If anyone knows a good accountant who is smart in the ways of legally minimizing tax from investments and real estate and ensuring you are using the tax laws to your full advantage please let me know :)

bighead2267
10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
i need someone t discuss about this as well. seems all the financial planner need at least $50,000 as entry level.

99atlantic
10-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Peer Financial ( http://www.peerfinancial.com/contact/index.html ) - does financial planning, tax minimizatoin, and a slew of other stuff that you guys are needing. Give them a call - been around for a long time, have global based operations and they're a local firm who actually treat their clients with respect since they arn't a mega giant like TD who just wants your $$$

If you go with them, just make certain to say Alex Markowski referred you :thumbsup:
:drool:

s2k_boi
10-03-2006, 09:29 PM
as for broken_legs comment from above. I do hope you guys know Financial Planners at TD are not licensed to sell you stocks. They are licensed for the financial planning component and mutual funds from TD / third party, and TD gic's / third party funds.

If you looking for stocks then you wouldn't be using a financial planner unless you planned to manage them yourself.

Finally you are correct with the Financial Advisors where they can ONLY sell TD branded mutual funds, although there is mutual funs that has thrid party funds within it. I am sure if you asked and if the advisor was doing his / her job they would of shown you those. The advisors manages portfolios and can provides investment / credit / day to day advise to you.

Hopefully that helps you out strider as well !! everything you listed a planner at TD can help you out with, except for advising you on stocks

Kritafo
10-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Dave Jones,

"WEALTHSTREET Inc. is a boutique investment firm managing over $100 million in assets. Our president Dave Jones is a long standing member of the Million Dollar Round Table

This is his new project. Before he was working out of the Financial Managment building, he was known as "the money Doctor"

We have been with him for 10 years and have had great success with him.

that he is one of the world's top 1% financial professionals."