PDA

View Full Version : home made

Grand Damn
07-17-2002, 02:07 AM
what do you guys thing of a home made intake system.

i want it to run all along the bottom of the car (there is a big gap along the bumper ) and wondering if it will give me lots of hp :dunno:

Ben
07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
Ask Leo (LUDELVR)about his thoughts...hahahaha

nothings wrong with home made...

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-17-2002, 02:22 AM
do you mean a cai or a ram air ?

redline_13000
07-17-2002, 02:31 AM
i think he wants to bring air in from the bumper..so probly both right?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
07-17-2002, 02:37 AM
a buddy of mine did a home made job using PVC and a K&N i believe
it works just as good as a store bought one but it dosent look near as nice

buh_buh
07-17-2002, 03:13 AM
he's got a ghetto hookups intake, except its in my car now.
I can't tell the difference between the stock one though, haha. But if I took it off I would probably be able to tell the difference. If you did it properly, you could probably get even more air than companies make their intakes.

Grand Damn
07-18-2002, 12:26 AM
companys make stupid intakes hardly any air gets into it....so i want to make my own :clap:

i will proably have the crazyest intake i promiss :devil:

Ben
07-18-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Grand Damn
companys make stupid intakes hardly any air gets into it....so i want to make my own :clap:

i will proably have the crazyest intake i promiss :devil:

Dude, I'm doing custom Carbon Fiber man...custom is the only way to go...

redline_13000
07-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Benny

Dude, I'm doing custom Carbon Fiber man...custom is the only way to go...

is carbon fiber shapeable if such a word?

MrX
07-18-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by redline_13000

is carbon fiber shapeable if such a word?

yep. carbon fiber is just a fabric of interwoven fibers. You can buy it in a roll or just by the sheets depending on how much money you got. Then you just work with it like fiberglass with resins/hardeners etc...and that's about it. Real carbon fiber jobbies out there need to be vacum sealed and baked in order to get it's strength (and multiple layers of carbon fiber ontop of another). But you can go ghetto style and just layer it like fiberglass and let it dry.

redline_13000
07-18-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by MrX

yep. carbon fiber is just a fabric of interwoven fibers. You can buy it in a roll or just by the sheets depending on how much money you got. Then you just work with it like fiberglass with resins/hardeners etc...and that's about it. Real carbon fiber jobbies out there need to be vacum sealed and baked in order to get it's strength (and multiple layers of carbon fiber ontop of another). But you can go ghetto style and just layer it like fiberglass and let it dry.

sweet where can i find some of this?:bigpimp:

Ben
07-18-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by MrX

exactly...I'm doing a good job, not some ghetto style...I'm doing it through a guy who knows the stuff very well...its kinda like paper maché, but stronger...

Grand Damn
07-18-2002, 05:11 PM
i dont want to spen every much on it thow.....do you think fiberglass will work out to :dunno:

Ben
07-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Fiberglass will prolly work, but CF is a bit stronger and looks better, ehheehe

speedracer
07-18-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Grand Damn
i dont want to spen every much on it thow.....do you think fiberglass will work out to :dunno:

How's this? Not too ghetto I hope - :rofl:
(Clean engine bay for once :D)

http://speedracer.ca/images/brando/acr/intake/intake_beforeinstall.jpg

Looks pretty clean.

http://speedracer.ca/images/brando/acr/intake/intake_after.jpg

Total cost:
Monster 5" Filter $46
Parts from Home Depot : $22
Total:$68 :D

I've done extensive temperature readings (sorry no flow test as that cost $).

I have a bunch of boring data numbers that I've kept but here is a summary.

Without Thermal Tape wrapping the intake.

City
Oustide temperature: 24.6C
idle 46C to 56C
driving - 34 - 42 C
(Temperature would drop as expected)

Thermal Wrap on intake.
Outside Temperature: 22.4C
idle: 37C - 40C
driving: 22 - 31C

RCMP (Full track) measured at the 1/4 mile mark
Outside Temperature 27C(Hot day)
No reading without thermal wrap (As seen from above it's very benficial to have it wrapped).
34C - 37C

I forgot to mention this what the prototype looked like as I was going to fabricate a pipe. I went as far as desiging the pipe on a CAD to maximize airflow. I gave up the project at the end when I got sponsored :)

Grand Damn
07-18-2002, 05:39 PM
nice job :clap: but i am thinking of making a big ass box in between my fog lights going from one side to the other and then it will narrow down into my intake so it will be pressured into the intake
:confused: