PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if I have a block heater

Lilac Wine
09-25-2006, 10:32 PM
I posted on here awhile ago about block heaters. First I should figure out if I have one :P Checked today and I do have a cord and prong under my hood. Does that mean I have one or is there more to it?

Boosted_TL
09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Yes that does mean you have a block heater. You should use it this winter!

PS: "How you doin Colleen"?

Tik-Tok
09-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Lilac Wine
I posted on here awhile ago about block heaters. First I should figure out if I have one :P Checked today and I do have a cord and prong under my hood. Does that mean I have one or is there more to it?

It's either a block heater, or you have an electric car :rofl:

infected
09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It's either a block heater, or you have an electric car :rofl:

Does that mean she keeps an extra long extension cord in the trunk?

hussein
09-25-2006, 11:01 PM
If you leave it plugged in at night, when you turn it on in the morning, does that mean it will be able to blast hot air right away?

Lilac Wine
09-25-2006, 11:03 PM
I am fine :P

avow
09-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by hussein
If you leave it plugged in at night, when you turn it on in the morning, does that mean it will be able to blast hot air right away?
no, you need a differnet kind of heater for that, forget what it is called though.

cocoabrova
09-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by avow

no, you need a differnet kind of heater for that, forget what it is called though.

inline coolant heater methinks

avow
09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

inline coolant heater methinks
that would be the one or a circulating heater or something :thumbsup:

Lilac Wine
09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
is that all I need???

avow
09-25-2006, 11:12 PM
to get instant heat or start your car in the morning?

Lilac Wine
09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
to plug in 2-3 hours before I drive it on cold days

Lilac Wine
09-25-2006, 11:59 PM
What?? I am so confused!! I'm from BC and have never had to do this before.

All I want is to plug it in 2-3 hours before school on super cold days. Am I good to go with what I have?

avow
09-26-2006, 12:46 AM
yes. but you wont get instant heat.

Mitsu3000gt
09-26-2006, 08:13 AM
I don't think you want an in-line coolant heater....often they cause problems like leaks.

All a block heater does, to my knowledge, is heat the coolant in one area and convection does the rest. It warms the engine block which in turn warms the oil and helps the car turn over easier because the oil will be more fluid. You will probably get heat a small bit sooner, but not much. You only need it plugged in 3-4 hours before your leave, not all night. It is a heating element so it does use a decent amount of power. Alot of people put them on timers to turn on at 3am or whatever before the work commute.

I personally don't have a block heater, instead I just use Mobil 0w40 synthetic oil which has a pour point of -56 celcius. It never gets that cold in calgary, so every time I go start my car in the winter it does not struggle in the least, and sounds the exact same in every way as if it's +30 outside. I also know my motor is being properly lubricated dispite the cold.

I read in a car magazine before that starting your car in -20 weather, with no block heater and regular oil is equivellent to 5000km of normal driving wear on your motor. I would believe this, as the oil is very thick and all sitting in the oil pan instead of stuck to all the engine parts. So for the few seconds you start your car there is very poor lubircation. I would be interested to see some actual tests though.

DoubleLP
09-26-2006, 08:19 AM
I would recommend getting a timer of some sort from Canadian Tire. They are about $20 - $30 I believe and will save you a lot of problems on those cold mornings.

Set if for about 3 hours before you are going to be starting the car and your engine will be more then warm enough to start properly. You won't get heat in the car any quicker but it will start a lot more smoothly and cause less wear on the engine then if you left it unplugged all night.

Also, I would make sure that the other end of the plug is actually plugged into the block heater itself. A lot of people plug in the cord but forget to check if the other end is plugged in as well. Just follow the cord and feel that it is plugged in. You could also take it to a mechanic and have them check it over and make sure the block heater is working properly as well.

SilverBoost
09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Just plug in what you have. You'll be fine. And you don't need ot use it when it's only -10 or something. Save it for the days when you get the snaps of -30.

Having a good battery is what's going to determine how good your car starts. The block heater keeps it from freezing is all.

djayz
09-26-2006, 10:01 AM
where does the orange plug go into the engine?
i think mine came loose on my d16y8

if anyone can help thanks a bunch :thumbsup:

barbarian
09-26-2006, 07:10 PM
And easy check is to stick an ohmmeter on the two prongs on the wire. You should get between 12-20 ohms.