PDA

View Full Version : Remember to tighten those wheel nuts boys and girls!!

James
09-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Well Tonight I had one of the craziest moments of my life. Im driving down Mcleod around 2:00am, maybe goin 65, there were pretty much no other cars on the road... when all of a sudden my left front end slams the ground!!, i had no fuckin clue what had just happened when i look to my left and see my tire rolling and bouncing beside me!...i pull over as fast as i could, and my tire/rim kept on rolling for apx. another 200m crossing all 5 lanes of traffic and bouncing off a wall to finally stop, who knows how far it would have gone otherwise.

Now how the fuck did this happen!!! i had just recently changed my tires and I KNOW i meticulously went over EVERY single lugnut twice. I always do as i do alot of minor repairs on my own cars, i have probably changed a wheel well over a hundred times.
Right after i pulled over, a City Truck pulled up behind me and the guys (who really had nothing else better to do)...:D ..and God am i thankfull for that. Helped me find the Wheel, put it back on and followed me all the way home:thumbsup:
What else is wierd is that there appeared to be no damage to the brakes, suspension etc..so i drove it home and it sounded 100% fine, although i did barely go over 60km/h. It was a situation like this that I'm glad i carry a toolbox in the trunk with basic things( i think any person with mechanical sense should)...and lucky i had extra lugnuts.
I'm Defenatly going to take it to a shop today to make sure there was no damage, and try to make sense of how it happened. I have a few theories, but i dont want to seem paranoid.

topmade
09-26-2006, 05:45 AM
Good thing you didn't get into a accident. That was going to happen to me a while back driving on Glemore. I started to feel this nasty vibration so I pulled over and one of the front wheels, the lug nuts loosend and I was able to take them off with my hand. I tightened them up and was on my way and everytime I take a tire off to do anything, I'll check it like 3 time's over.

I keeps tools in the car to be able to fix small things, but never thought about another set of lug nuts. I'll have to visit canadian tire after work today.

James
09-26-2006, 05:58 AM
As i pulled over and saw that tire bouncing all i could think of was thank god there were no other cars, which on Mcleod trail is pretty damn rare. And it came out of nowhere, no strange noises/vibrations at all, happened in a split second.
I had the spare lugs because i have 2 sets of wheels and need special lugs for the 18's...but i guess they were good to have.

hoamic11
09-26-2006, 07:12 AM
damn man, i had that happen to me b4, it really sucks, when that happened to me it was like wobbling on my car cause the lugs were loose, it tore up the rim on the inside and my rotor was fugged, but once you fall u can't do very much.

I guess i'm gonna start to think about carrying around some tools with me. hopefully nothing wrong with your car.

talonboi
09-26-2006, 07:23 AM
same thing happened to my friend last week.... :dunno:

FivE.SeveN
09-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Whoa lugnuts shouldn't come off like that once they're torqued on properly -- the weight of the car on the wheel pretty much presses on the nut so it doesn't twist, yknow?

I bet it was sabotage! :nut: Some crazy guy with a breaker bar and tire iron loosening everyone's wheels?

JspecB16
09-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN

I bet it was sabotage! :nut: Some crazy guy with a breaker bar

who did you piss off james? lol

holy sheeeit man, I'm coming over after work to look at this catastrophe!!! were you driving it for a while before it happened or was it early into your drive? Thats messed up

ninjak84
09-26-2006, 09:25 AM
That's scary James!!

Glad everything went ok, and you're safe at least.... is the wheel damaged??
Let us know what the inspection says

calgarygts
09-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Holy crap, glad you're ok but holy crap. Good luck with the car, hope it's all ok.

JspecB16
09-26-2006, 09:50 AM
why the MR2??? why couldn't it have been the jetta...:(

just buggin ya james:D

SilverBoost
09-26-2006, 09:54 AM
You didn't have them tigthened. It happens. Luckily it wasn't worse. And if you have no damage then it's remarkably lucky.

Mikey_008
09-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Good to hear, but you still had your lock nutz after the wheel flew off??

HiSpec
09-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
[B

I bet it was sabotage! :nut: Some crazy guy with a breaker bar and tire iron loosening everyone's wheels? [/B]

:werd:
Just this summer, I swapped on my summer wheels and I was 100% sure that I put on all my lugnuts and retighten them three times.
THen the next day I noticed I was missing 2 lugnuts. Must be some fk'er taking my lugnuts to replace his own.

Thank god you are okay though... it could've been a lot worst!!

Tik-Tok
09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
C'mon guys it's common practice, ALWAYS retighten your lugnuts after driving a few kilometers after a tire removal. Just because you tightened them while jacked up, and then again after it's on the ground, DOESN'T mean they are on tight.

But then, it could be vandals, I seriously wouldn't doubt if this were the new "fad" punks start doing to nice cars.

5 sets of locking lugnuts FTW! :D

max_boost
09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Oh shit! I'm glad everything is ok dude. :eek:

Mr. Burns
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Jeebus!! Have you made any enemies recently?

vietdood
09-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
C'mon guys it's common practice, ALWAYS retighten your lugnuts after driving a few kilometers after a tire removal. Just because you tightened them while jacked up, and then again after it's on the ground, DOESN'T mean they are on tight.

But then, it could be vandals, I seriously wouldn't doubt if this were the new "fad" punks start doing to nice cars.

5 sets of locking lugnuts FTW! :D

yup especially if you change those tires at home. always retighten after a 100-200km and check after 1000km. even some shops will tell you to come back after 1000km to retorque

Tik-Tok
09-26-2006, 10:40 AM
LOL, I just noticed James Avatar... ironic :rofl:

Darkane
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Did u not notice a massive Vibration? I highly doubt you didnt. Should have pulled over.

mekeni
09-26-2006, 10:51 AM
yup,his avatar is perfect... :rofl:

it's a good thing nobody got hurt... :thumbsup:

rc2002
09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm always paranoid about my wheel falling off. Especially after I put the wheel on myself. I never trust myself so I make sure to torque and retorque and retorque again.

You got off pretty lucky if there was no damage to your brakes or suspension.

James
09-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Did u not notice a massive Vibration? I highly doubt you didnt. Should have pulled over.

Ya, cause im gonna keep driving when i feel like that my wheel is coming off :rolleyes: ....I did have the stereo on loud, so it may have been making a noise, but i know it happened all so fast.

I had thought about "sabotage"...i dont THINK i have any enemies that would do that....maybe i do.

James
09-26-2006, 12:28 PM
:rofl:...ahh the crooked wheel in the avatar, that is pretty funny.

James
09-28-2006, 12:45 AM
So i got the car looked at, and the mechanic was as suprised as i was that there is really no damage. Only thing that was noticeably bad was the rotor dust cover was a litte bent and flatened out on the bottom....im kinda paranoid driving it now, every time i stop anywhere ive been checking all the lugs.:nut:

max_boost
09-28-2006, 12:47 AM
haha DAMN dude. That's so fucked up. Makes you think if there were some supernatural forces in action that night. j/k!

At least all is well. :D

BlueFrenzy
09-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Sounds like sabotage to me. I'm sure you use a torque wrench to your manufacturer's specs, right?

tirebob
09-28-2006, 10:48 AM
This is not as uncommon as you might imagine. Any time a wheel has been bolted onto a car you absolutely need to re-torque everything within 100kms, and even still once more after that is a good idea.

Many things can cause issues such as improperly adjusted torque wrenches, wrong wheel nuts/studs without enough threads engaging, wrong seat style (ball seat nuts on an acorn seat wheel etc), worn or defectivce lug nuts or wheel studs, etc. Hell, even something like dirt or corrosion on the back of the rim or on the hub etc can cause this as everything torques down to the right setting, but as soon as you take your first corner, the extra force causes everything to shift in more and the torque now lessens...

And there is always the possibility that someone tries to Jack the wheels but didn't succeed and got scared off or whatever, leaving some lugnuts loose or what-have-you...

So many variables that it only makes sense to always double and even triple check... If you drove out of a shop and your wheel hits the ground a block later, you can definitely blame the shop, but if it happened 1 or 2 weeks down the road you need to take a bit of responsibility upon yourself to have re-torqued everything. It is simply common sense.

JspecB16
09-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I would say the only reason there was no damage is because of the "frunk" on the MR2. The engine is in the back therefore no weight up front. I think u'd have been screwed in a front engine car. :D