PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Stage 2



max_boost
09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Called up Rally Subaru in Edmonton and found out they had the Turboback and Accessport in stock. I just couldn't pass it up. Thanks Aleks :D

I'm having the parts shipped directly to TireCraft, should have everything before the weekend.

Ohhh so excited. haha

http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/power-s25.html#Stage2

Chester
09-26-2006, 04:24 PM
You have to many cars. Can I like rent one from you haha.

max_boost
09-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Feel free to take over the lease on my 330 :D
PM for details :thumbsup: haha

xrayvsn
09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh, nice. I am jealous of everyone and their stage 2 now. I'll need to do some modding just so I can keep up.

richardchan2002
09-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
Oh, nice. I am jealous of everyone and their stage 2 now. I'll need to do some modding just so I can keep up.

WRX Stage 2 > WRX STI?

Aleks
09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Good Job man!

Let me know if you need any help with maps and logging etc!

And a stage 2 WRX will come pretty close to an STi in straight line only tho ;)

max_boost
09-26-2006, 08:26 PM
The Cobb setup is perfect for newbs like me who want more power but lack the technical knowledge and skills to get it done. I just love how simple it is. Get a shop to install the turboback, upload the new base map. Done. That's it :D

If it's enough power, then good. If not I'll have to sell the WRX and import a STi limited and go Stage 2 on that. I found out that the turboback is interchangeable with the STi so already half way there LOL

Aleks, go run your car at the track so I can use those 1/4 mile numbers when I'm talking smack with my friends. :thumbsup::rofl:

Aleks
09-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The Cobb setup is perfect for newbs like me who want more power but lack the technical knowledge and skills to get it done. I just love how simple it is. Get a shop to install the turboback, upload the new base map. Done. That's it :D

If it's enough power, then good. If not I'll have to sell the WRX and import a STi limited and go Stage 2 on that. I found out that the turboback is interchangeable with the STi so already half way there LOL

Aleks, go run your car at the track so I can use those 1/4 mile numbers when I'm talking smack with my friends. :thumbsup::rofl:

I am free this friday. We'll see what happens.

xrayvsn
09-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002


WRX Stage 2 > WRX STI?

Close enough. My bet is that Aleks' stage 2 WRX will be faster than my stock STI. One less gear to find to cross the 1/4 and a lighter car is Teh Fastar.


Originally posted by Aleks


I am free this friday. We'll see what happens.

My wife wants to go back to SS on Friday as well so she can improve on her own personal best of 16.7s.:rofl: If you embarras me with your WRX you know it will mean an end to my strict no modding policy, don't you? I have a feeling my credit card bill isn't going to like the results of Fridays events...

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
The Cobb setup is perfect for newbs like me who want more power but lack the technical knowledge and skills to get it done. I just love how simple it is. Get a shop to install the turboback, upload the new base map. Done. That's it :D

If it's enough power, then good. If not I'll have to sell the WRX and import a STi limited and go Stage 2 on that. I found out that the turboback is interchangeable with the STi so already half way there LOL

Aleks, go run your car at the track so I can use those 1/4 mile numbers when I'm talking smack with my friends. :thumbsup::rofl:
Nuts you have a wrx now Sam , wicked, must feel good to get back on the import mod side of things. Nothing beats an amged car but its always nice to have a nice light handling japanese car thats cheap to mod.

max_boost
09-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn


Close enough. My bet is that Aleks' stage 2 WRX will be faster than my stock STI. One less gear to find to cross the 1/4 and a lighter car is Teh Fastar.



My wife wants to go back to SS on Friday as well so she can improve on her own personal best of 16.7s.:rofl: If you embarras me with your WRX you know it will mean an end to my strict no modding policy, don't you? I have a feeling my credit card bill isn't going to like the results of Fridays events...

As Cobb stated, all you are really doing is just unlocking your car's potential. :devil: :angel:

Maybe you should call Rally Subaru too. Ask for Steve. Oh yah, it's free shipping to Calgary 1-2 days via Purolator. Doesn't hurt to just get some info haha :D



Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Nuts you have a wrx now Sam , wicked, must feel good to get back on the import mod side of things. Nothing beats an amged car but its always nice to have a nice light handling japanese car thats cheap to mod.

You bet Ryan. I'm very happy with the WRX. It's nice to have a sedan in the fold. It's the power of the car that just gets me going hehe

Just a few more months and the RSX will be going to my brother and the 330 back to BMW. I jumped the gun a bit on the WRX and SLK but I couldn't help it haha

:burnout:

Aleks
09-27-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn


Close enough. My bet is that Aleks' stage 2 WRX will be faster than my stock STI. One less gear to find to cross the 1/4 and a lighter car is Teh Fastar.



My wife wants to go back to SS on Friday as well so she can improve on her own personal best of 16.7s.:rofl: If you embarras me with your WRX you know it will mean an end to my strict no modding policy, don't you? I have a feeling my credit card bill isn't going to like the results of Fridays events...

We should get out there and run together then! I think your STi will still be somewhat quicker though. It just depends on how much you want to abuse it ;)
I have to shift into 4th around 93mph trap. Do you have to be in 5th?

What we (max boost and I) really need is a protune from PDX guys. I am positive they will come to EDM again in spring. That would make it even more interesting :)

xrayvsn
09-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Aleks


We should get out there and run together then! I think your STi will still be somewhat quicker though. It just depends on how much you want to abuse it ;)
I have to shift into 4th around 93mph trap. Do you have to be in 5th?

What we (max boost and I) really need is a protune from PDX guys. I am positive they will come to EDM again in spring. That would make it even more interesting :)

That sounds great - I may have to come early to tech but I have to leave for a while for my kid's basketball practice. I'll try to be back by 8 or so.

There is no way I can keep it in 4th even if I wanted to let it bounce off the rev limiter. I definitely need to be in 5th to finish the 1/4. I'll just have to work on my shifting speed since I can feel that I lose momentum with each of the 4 shifts I need to do.

I am waiting for the Accessport version2 before I jump in. I had a ride in a Stage 2 PDX e-mail tuned STI, and the faster spool is very noticable. Power delivery was pretty smooth too, so I know I will want this for myself at some point. I'll probably gather the necessary parts over winter and have it ready for spring. I may be protuning with you guys as well the next time the guys from PDX come out :thumbsup:

Are you doing the e-mail logged PDX tune?

Pee_Sack
09-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I have spoken with Vincent(the guy that organized the last protune day) and he is already in the works for getting one going next spring :D:D get all your mods on soon.

max_boost
09-27-2006, 11:23 AM
So the PDX guys basically develop a new map that will extract even more 'reliable power' out of the Suby?

bigboom
09-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn


That sounds great - I may have to come early to tech but I have to leave for a while for my kid's basketball practice. I'll try to be back by 8 or so.

There is no way I can keep it in 4th even if I wanted to let it bounce off the rev limiter. I definitely need to be in 5th to finish the 1/4. I'll just have to work on my shifting speed since I can feel that I lose momentum with each of the 4 shifts I need to do.

I am waiting for the Accessport version2 before I jump in. I had a ride in a Stage 2 PDX e-mail tuned STI, and the faster spool is very noticable. Power delivery was pretty smooth too, so I know I will want this for myself at some point. I'll probably gather the necessary parts over winter and have it ready for spring. I may be protuning with you guys as well the next time the guys from PDX come out :thumbsup:

Are you doing the e-mail logged PDX tune?

what is the difference between the AP and version 2?

xrayvsn
09-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
So the PDX guys basically develop a new map that will extract even more 'reliable power' out of the Suby?

Yeah, bascially its the same idea. The e-mail tune requires you to submit your mods, type of fuel used and altitude etc to them and they will send you a rough tune that will best fit your mods that they already have in their database. You then do some datalogging and 3rd gear pulls then send that in. they will refine the tune for you with an updated one based on your logs and e-mail it to you.

A protune like they had in July in Edmonton is when they are at the dyno and tune your car there.


Originally posted by bigboom


what is the difference between the AP and version 2?

I think it will be a smaller form factor, and a USB connector to the PC instead of serial. I don't know if this means it will also be Mac compatible or not. I found a thread about it on NASIOC somewhere, probably in the Accessport forum.

Speed_Dreams
09-27-2006, 12:55 PM
what did it cost from rally subaru? im looking into a AP for my car aswell

benyl
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
When my STi was stock, I did a 13.6 @ 98. 1.75 60' time

Aleks
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by benyl
When my STi was stock, I did a 13.6 @ 98. 1.75 60' time

The only way a stage2 WRX will do that is if it's pro tuned IMO.

syeve
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by benyl
1.75 60' time

:eek:

benyl
09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
yeah, rev to 5500 and side step the clutch...

AWD wheel spin is cool.

:burnout: :burnout:
:burnout: :burnout:

xrayvsn
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Gee, and I thought I was doing bad things to my drivetrain with how I launched, but I will try a side step next time and see how many axles I can break at once. As it is now, I know I am not getting off the clutch fast enough since I smell clutch every time I launch, and the best 60' I had was 1.84, translating to a 13.9 @ 97mph.

Benyl, are you going to unleash your almost stock STI soon?

benyl
09-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Tuning is a bitch when you charge piping won't stay on.

I am way closer today than I was last night.

max_boost
09-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
A protune like they had in July in Edmonton is when they are at the dyno and tune your car there.

I imagine quite a few cars would show up for this kind of thing?
Any idea on cost?


Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
what did it cost from rally subaru? im looking into a AP for my car aswell

$2327+GST=$2466.62

Well worth it. Just adds so much more to the sleeper factor. haha

speedracer
09-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Tuning is a bitch when you charge piping won't stay on.

I am way closer today than I was last night.

:D

xrayvsn
09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost


I imagine quite a few cars would show up for this kind of thing?
Any idea on cost?



I wasn't there because of work commitments, but the thread on NASIOC can be found here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998427

Looked like about $300 for a stage 2 protune including the dyno time. Vincent-h also posts here, so he would be the man with the answers.

Aleks
09-27-2006, 05:47 PM
I am going to hold off on the E tune PDX map and wait for them to come back so They can do it on a dyno.

max_boost
09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
DAMN! I'm curious to what type of gains there were after the Pro Tune guys worked their magic. I am so there. Power is so addicting. :drool: :love:

xrayvsn
09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
DAMN! I'm curious to what type of gains there were after the Pro Tune guys worked their magic. I am so there. Power is so addicting. :drool: :love:

This was a before/after plot from a 2002 Stage 2 2.0L WRX: There is a thread about the protune results on NASIOC canada forums. The dyno they used has since been recalibrated and my understanding is that its uncorrected numbers now read out much lower than they did for the dyno meet.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5422/protunedynoplotsu3.jpg

From the owner:

I ended up from 224/206 WHP/WTQ to 232/226 WHP/WTQ. Decent gains but what impressed me most was my gains down low. At one point (around 3200 rpm) I had a 20/40 WHP/WTQ gain and my full boost comes on about 600 rpm sooner. First gear is now monstrous and blows by in a fraction of second. Car revs so freely now it almost feels as if there is no load on it. Plot FYI:

rip
09-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Subracing in Edmonton is capable of protuning now. They just recently got the streettuner software. They have apparently fixed a few of PDX's maps from the protune day.

They charge $300.

rip
09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
BTW I had a baseline done at subracing this past weekend.

I put down 242hp/255tq on their recently calibrated AWD mustang dyno.

This is a stage II off the shelf map on my STi.

Engine mods,

Catless TBE
K&N panel filter

xrayvsn
09-28-2006, 11:02 AM
^^ nice!

max_boost
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Just wanted to add, I just found out that Tunerworks has the stage uprades in stock so just contact them directly and you can get your parts right away. I didn't know or else I would have supported our local sponsors. :thumbsup:

benyl
09-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by rip
BTW I had a baseline done at subracing this past weekend.

I put down 242hp/255tq on their recently calibrated AWD mustang dyno.

This is a stage II off the shelf map on my STi.

Engine mods,

Catless TBE
K&N panel filter

cool. I am hoping my stage 2.5 will put down 300awhp and 350 awtq. But whooooo knows.

Aleks
09-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Just wanted to add, I just found out that Tunerworks has the stage uprades in stock so just contact them directly and you can get your parts right away. I didn't know or else I would have supported our local sponsors. :thumbsup:

yep got my AP from them. Had they had stock at the time I would have got my exhaust there too. Bobby is a super nice guy do deal with.

RickDaTuner
09-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by benyl


cool. I am hoping my stage 2.5 will put down 300awhp and 350 awtq. But whooooo knows.

and all this time you had me all worried thinking you had a new Turbo in your STi..

haha just kidding man

Max enjoy the WRX man, they're great cars

fan-sti
09-28-2006, 11:57 PM
I will be in stage 2 soon!!:thumbsup:

xrayvsn
09-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by benyl


cool. I am hoping my stage 2.5 will put down 300awhp and 350 awtq. But whooooo knows.

What's Stage 2.5? FMIC and injectors?

Are you tuning this yourself?

Pee_Sack
09-29-2006, 08:38 AM
2.5 varies form person to person and from company to company.

What one person calls 2.5 could be 3

I would say 2.5 is FMIC or bigger TMIC
3 is New turbo and all the supporting mods
4 being new internals

Since we don't have a Subaru designed after market stage kits(like mopar for teh srt's) it is up to the after market community to make there own stages.

max_boost
09-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Well everything is on now. Big props to the guys at TireCraft, always taking care of my installs and such. :thumbsup:

Oh man is this the best mod ever. The car is fast, might be even faster than my SLK :eek: Throw you back in your seat acceleration, it doesn' t fuck around. :burnout:

It's time for bigboom to step up, you know you want to. :devil:

I'm also anxiously waiting to hear how Aleks did at the track tonight tonight too. :clap:

benyl
09-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn


What's Stage 2.5? FMIC and injectors?

Are you tuning this yourself?

I don't know what stage 2.5 is... haha, I was shitting you guys.

Yes, I am tuning myself. constantly... it is acutally a pain in the ass. I am close enough that I could have run Secret street tonight, but I am still breaking in my new clutch.

I consider internals stage 5 as it is a whole new ball game there.

There is one guy in town that has a stage 5 STi.

Crawford 2.65L block with all the other goodies... wonder if he will show for SCC.

xrayvsn
09-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by benyl


I don't know what stage 2.5 is... haha, I was shitting you guys.

Yes, I am tuning myself. constantly... it is acutally a pain in the ass. I am close enough that I could have run Secret street tonight, but I am still breaking in my new clutch.

I consider internals stage 5 as it is a whole new ball game there.

There is one guy in town that has a stage 5 STi.

Crawford 2.65L block with all the other goodies... wonder if he will show for SCC.

I think I know this guy. He told me he may be able to bring his STi to SCC if all goes well.

Aleks
09-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well everything is on now. Big props to the guys at TireCraft, always taking care of my installs and such. :thumbsup:

Oh man is this the best mod ever. The car is fast, might be even faster than my SLK :eek: Throw you back in your seat acceleration, it doesn' t fuck around. :burnout:

It's time for bigboom to step up, you know you want to. :devil:

I'm also anxiously waiting to hear how Aleks did at the track tonight tonight too. :clap:

Ran 14.1 @ 95. When I was stock Air conditions were a lot better

3000ft DA vs 4500ft tonight. Sti was .2-3s quicker still. On the street the car feels amazing however on the track there is just no power after 5000rpm. I ran quicker when I shifted a 5500rpm instead of redline :confused:

Getting tuned for sure as soon as i can. A bigger turbo would be nice to help this hi end lack of power :)

xrayvsn
09-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Got to hear a stage 2 while we were waiting to tech. Sounds very good, but I still want a ride along. I am curious to hear it inside the cabin and at WOT, since it sounds so good hearing it outside the car. Really unleashes that rumble.


Originally posted by Aleks
Sti was .2-3s quicker still. On the street the car feels amazing however on the track there is just no power after 5000rpm. I ran quicker when I shifted a 5500rpm instead of redline :confused:


I am also able to get faster times when I shift before redline in every gear but the 1 - 2 shift.

I wonder if the difference in the best 60' times we are able to get is the tires we have. Do you get any wheelspin on the RE92s?


Originally posted by Aleks
Getting tuned for sure as soon as i can. A bigger turbo would be nice to help this hi end lack of power :)

I am convinced that a Stage 2 WRX with STi TMIC and VF39 turbo will be faster than a Stage 2 STi, but I guess that is a different ballgame. I am personally impressed by how close the acceleration is between your stage 2 and the stock STi, and with the spool of your turbo, I bet it feels much faster around town than my STi.


Originally posted by max_boost
Well everything is on now. Big props to the guys at TireCraft, always taking care of my installs and such. :thumbsup:

Oh man is this the best mod ever. The car is fast, might be even faster than my SLK :eek: Throw you back in your seat acceleration, it doesn' t fuck around. :burnout:



Nice, man. Congrats. What maps are you guys with Stage 2 running?

Aleks
09-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I am using OTS Stage 2 91 octane map.

I don't get any wheelspin with my RE92s. By my last run your advice was paying off and I was able to launch a lot cleaner.

max_boost
09-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I am using OTS Stage 2 91 octane map. :werd:

Tuning for more power? Count me in :D:drool: :burnout:

bigboom
09-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well everything is on now. Big props to the guys at TireCraft, always taking care of my installs and such. :thumbsup:

Oh man is this the best mod ever. The car is fast, might be even faster than my SLK :eek: Throw you back in your seat acceleration, it doesn' t fuck around. :burnout:

It's time for bigboom to step up, you know you want to. :devil:

I'm also anxiously waiting to hear how Aleks did at the track tonight tonight too. :clap:

you guys are making me jealous :whipped: :D

im thinking next summer ;)