PDA

View Full Version : "One price-pricing"At Pre-Owned: Is it Negotiable?

Mckenzie
09-26-2006, 06:42 PM
I am currently car shopping and am coming across some nice cars at dealerships but am suspect about the price. I think they are stretching it a bit.

Just curious if this is a negotiable price. They say they are one price pricing but I know what they offer on their trades.

Any insightful comments are much appreciated as I am thinking of making an offer soon.

Thanks
:)

RUQUIKR
09-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Most dealers will negotiate with you if your serious but certain places like Saturn will not. Our dealership is always willing to negotiate a deal with a serious customer.

Mckenzie
09-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Alright cool Thanks.

Any idea on how much room they have?

The car in question is 29,900.

Just to put this in perspective, my grandpa has a 2003 325xi with 48k kms on it and this BMW typically sells between 31 and 36k. He just bought a brand new 328xi and wanted to trade it in.

They offered him 24k on trade!!

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

barbarian
09-26-2006, 07:05 PM
At these places, isn't the real negotiation on your trade-in? Also on financing terms?

Jynx
09-26-2006, 07:09 PM
if you trade in a car you essentially get bent over twice.

They buy the car from you at whole sale pricing and sell you a new car at retail.

It sux!

Mckenzie
09-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
if you trade in a car you essentially get bent over twice.

They buy the car from you at whole sale pricing and sell you a new car at retail.

It sux!

Yeah its friggin stupid. Gang banged from all sides.

I cannot believe what they give you on trade though.

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Yeah its friggin stupid. Gang banged from all sides.

I cannot believe what they give you on trade though.
They have profit to make, it takes away the hassle of selling it privately, posting adds wasting your weekend with tire kickers etc. Most used cars are either bought at auction or are trade ins if theyre low K in good shape. I would get a history on any used car, nothing wrong with auction cars but you dont want to end up some written off wreck from out east. One thing about used cars is that there is huge gross so there is always room more them to move, much more so than new cars.

Mckenzie
09-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Well I know this particuar model came into Hyatt Infinity on trade. Local car and in relatively good condition.

Just wondering what you think they would have in to it and what they would accept as an offer.

Aleks
09-26-2006, 08:18 PM
check www.toyota.ca

they have a link there to the black book.
You can find it under "appraise your tradein" link.

usually dealers buy at black book and sell at black book + 35% ish.

Dealer have more room to play with on used then on new cars in most cases. (your price range)

Mckenzie
09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
So all this one price pricing is just a front then or what?

The price seems a little high but not outrageous.

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Well I know this particuar model came into Hyatt Infinity on trade. Local car and in relatively good condition.

Just wondering what you think they would have in to it and what they would accept as an offer.
Well depends on lots of factors, if its an aged unit (been on their inventory a while) then they may have reduced the price limiting their profit to sell the vehicle. Now this is just a huge guestimation based on the fact that the unit hasnt been there for very long and is somewhat in demand....they may have paid low 20s for it.

brandon
09-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I sold cars for a while and switched to selling used cars. There is always room to move. No matter what your sales person is telling you. Always ask to speak to the used car sales manager aswell. It put's you in better dealings with them and they make the say on the final price.

Good Luck.

Mckenzie
09-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Sweet everyone....thanks for the ammo.

Hopefully by the weekend I will have my eyes on the prize.

:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Sweet everyone....thanks for the ammo.

Hopefully by the weekend I will have my eyes on the prize.

:thumbsup:
Cool good luck, I sit in with Sales/General managers day in day out. If it was me Id offer 20 and go from there, if the drop the price down to 27K as a conteroffer it means right off the bat that they want to sell the car and that they are willing to move. Counter at 22 if they continue to counter and lower the price you will eventually come to a middle point that you both can agree with. If they dont counteroffer or budge right off the bat it means either the vehicle is fresh on the lot and they know they can get full price for it or they have already reduced it significantly and really cant go any lower. If you have enough nerve you could even offer highteens just to see what they say lol.

Mckenzie
09-27-2006, 06:50 AM
WEll this car has not even been inspected yet and has not been detailed...still has juice box containers and garbage in it!

So that may a bit of an issue....we'll see what happens. I'm just affraid if I lowball they will think I'm not serious and not even budge on the price....maybe maybe not.
:dunno:

me&you
09-27-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

... If you have enough nerve you could even offer highteens just to see what they say lol.

They'll probably think you aren't serious and tell you to f-off.

Cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay; whether that someone is you depends. The dealer won't sell for less than what they think the next person will pay, so there's no point low-balling. If they have had the car in stock for a while, you'll have better luck.

And I wish people would stop bitching about dealer wholesale vs. retail. It's a business... what do you expect. If you don't like the mark-up on cars, I won't tell you what those $300 Diesels on your ass cost the store, or what that $30 steak on you plate cost the restaurant.

aram1000
09-27-2006, 08:25 AM
hey man, I know your situation. I have been car shopping myself for the last 2 weeks, looking at cars at some dealers. What I found was on the cars I made offers on, the dealer either did not want to move at all or moved a little bit. My dad's friend, who is a used car dealer in BC says there is always room to negotiate and his rule of thumb was offer $2000 less then the asking price. The toyota appraisal function on their website I found was a big help, gives you a good idea what these dealers paid for the car. The only thing to watch for when buying a used car is a documentation fee they may try to charge you. I found a lot of dealers make it a point to charge you this fee and try to charge you some other fee on top of the price, so watch for that. I ended up going the private sale route, which I found is better. However, if you are looking for a luxury sedan, those seem to be more abundant with dealers rather than the private market. Good luck with the search.