PDA

View Full Version : Police Scanners

N8S-ITR
09-26-2006, 09:38 PM
What do you guys know about police scanners? How do they work? Are they legal? Are they better than radar detectors? Just some general info would be good, cause they are freakin cheap on ebay.

l8braker
09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
i was wondering this same thing today... i found a website with all of the scanner codes for calgary police. districts, units (Tactical, Drugs, Strike Force 1,2,3) main feed, etc.... i remember hearing it is all digital and cannot be heard.. who knows though.

edit: Here is is, whole bunch of stuff:

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=204

hussein
09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
They are completely different than radar detectors. It simply receives what is being transmitted on, for example, the radio frequencies which the police use. I am not sure about CPS but they probably are digital.

There are alot of other things broadcasted that you can listen to though. It just depends on what frequency range your scanner has. Examples could be things like amatuer radio bands, baby minders, 900mhz cordless phones, etc.

Yes, they are legal.

AllGoNoShow
09-26-2006, 11:35 PM
CPS is Digital
You need something with Motorola Trunktracking abilities in order to listen in.

If you don't have a HAM license and you get caught listening or even having in some cases then you can be charged. You need a HAM license to make it legal.

Cannot be heard with say normal CB radios or such, hence the radio with trunk tracking abilities. Basically the channels digitally change and you need something to keep up with the computer, form what I've been told.

Bearcat and Uniden makes awsome trunktrackers.

TurboMedic
09-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Scanners are not illegal in AB, but as was mentioned you cannot listen to CPS, because of the difference in equipment. Its all digital, and its an encrypted signal, something wierd like that. You can listen to RCMP, outside city EMS services, Fire depts, etc. anyone who still uses UHF radio...

ryder_23
09-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
CPS is Digital
You need something with Motorola Trunktracking abilities in order to listen in.

If you don't have a HAM license and you get caught listening or even having in some cases then you can be charged. You need a HAM license to make it legal.

Cannot be heard with say normal CB radios or such, hence the radio with trunk tracking abilities. Basically the channels digitally change and you need something to keep up with the computer, form what I've been told.

Bearcat and Uniden makes awsome trunktrackers.

Your right, CPS does have trunktracking, however its fully digital, and a basic trunktracking scanner wont pick it up.

Originally posted by TurboMedic
Scanners are not illegal in AB, but as was mentioned you cannot listen to CPS, because of the difference in equipment. Its all digital, and its an encrypted signal, something wierd like that. You can listen to RCMP, outside city EMS services, Fire depts, etc. anyone who still uses UHF radio...

Weird...I'm listening to CPS as we speak :thumbsup:

AllGoNoShow
09-27-2006, 11:18 AM
ryder....

From what i was told anything with Motorola Type II SmartZone abilities can listen in, so many not basic trunk trackers but if they support that system then they are supposed to work.... yah? no?

"Motorola Type II SmartZone system used by Fire, Police, and EMS within Calgary and in some surrounding areas. Other users on the system include the ENMAX public electric utility, the Office of the Solicitor General's sheriffs, and the Calgary International Airport support staff."

ryder_23
09-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Trunktracking has been used for years, most security uses it in calgary, as well as police ems fire. Basically during a single conversation between dispatch/unit, everytime they let go of the button the conversation changes frequencies, jumping around and what not, in simple terms.

Calgary police, does use trunktracking, so your right about that..however, the frequencies they broadcast at, need a special decoder to basically make them hear-a-ble. And if your buying a scanner that has one built in or is capable of accepting the chip...its more then trunktracker capable :D

edit: sorry in class this might be all over the place with my answers.

l8braker
09-27-2006, 11:40 AM
^ so what kind of equipment are you using? cost? ham license fee? interesting stuff.

hussein
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM

You need to have a licence to broadcast on the bands which are available to amatuer radio operators. But ANYONE can listen, and its perfectly legal to own a scanner to receive radio transmissions. You have to have a licence, or should have anyway, to own a device which is capable of transmitting on these frequencies, especially if you plan on doing actual talking, etc.

http://www.rac.ca/

Pretty good website. I took a test quite a few years ago, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and have basic qualification. It's pretty easy to get.

EDIT: Note, transmitting on frequencies which have been allocated for amatuer radio operators. Amatuer radio operators aren't allowed to broadcast on other frequencies. Therefore, the radios which amatuer radio operators purchase, can receive on a range of frequencies, but only transmit on certain ranges. Of course some of the radio's can be modified to transmit on frequencies which are not allowed, but I am pretty sure that is against the law, and strong do not recommend you do so. Definetly not worth getting arrested for.

FiveFreshFish
09-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by hussein

You need to have a licence to broadcast on the bands which are available to amatuer radio operators. But ANYONE can listen, and its perfectly legal to own a scanner to receive radio transmissions. You have to have a licence, or should have anyway, to own a device which is capable of transmitting on these frequencies, especially if you plan on doing actual talking, etc.

True. You can listen on any frequency you want without a license, or at least it was when everything was analogue.

I have an old Icom R1 that covers police and cell phone frequencies. Perfectly legal to listen as long as you disclose or use any of the information you overhear. Most phones are digital now, so there's not much to hear. Some of the shit I heard back in the early 90s made for good entertainment on a boring work shift. ;)

You can buy a book of frequencies to help you know what you're listening to.
http://www.sandhillbooks.com/cgi-bin/sandhillbooks/412.html?imgsize=640x400&mv_action=go

http://www.sandhillbooks.com/images/items/640x400/abfrequency8.jpg

hussein
09-27-2006, 08:05 PM
You can, or could, get the book from Radioshack. I don't know if its that exact one, mine has a beige cover, but its atleast 5 years old.

FiveFreshFish
09-27-2006, 08:23 PM
^^^ Ditto, and considerably older than 5 years. :D

hussein
09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
7th edition, 1998. hahah.
Left is my portable tranceiver, middle is the book obviously, and on the right is my scanner.

Never realized how dead the 900mhz range is until this evening haha.

Supa Dexta
09-29-2006, 08:56 PM
My grandmother used to listen to the rc's back home all the time, just for background noise I guess.... Never much excitment on the thing...

FivE.SeveN
09-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I believe emergency traffic is transmitted using CDMA like Telus cellphones.

CDMA = for all purposes, unbreakable. Military traffic uses this. :nut:

MackDawg
10-04-2006, 11:30 PM
My old boss managed to get a police scanner from some drug runner in the states that got busted last year. It didn't work to well cause the damn thing would jump frequency faster than the cops so you would only ever get half of what they were saying at best. On to another note, he was driving on Deer Foot and took a very sharp turn to make the off ramp in time and the damn thing went flying right out the window.

peace

Marc.

ryder_23
10-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by l8braker
^ so what kind of equipment are you using? cost? ham license fee? interesting stuff.

SOrry, forgot about this thread :D

Anyways, I can post pictures later if anyone cares. I'm using Uniden 250d with apco-25 digital card to decode CPS stuff :D

Its a bitch to program though. My recommendation is a must to have computer software, but not necessary. Secondly getting the channels right for the area your in, frequencies are broadcasted off 6 towers in calgary.

hussein
10-16-2006, 10:04 PM
What would the initial costs be aprox to setup a basic rig to decode it? Thanks. Pics would be awesome man.

Originally posted by ryder_23

SOrry, forgot about this thread :D

Anyways, I can post pictures later if anyone cares. I'm using Uniden 250d with apco-25 digital card to decode CPS stuff :D

Its a bitch to program though. My recommendation is a must to have computer software, but not necessary. Secondly getting the channels right for the area your in, frequencies are broadcasted off 6 towers in calgary.

ryder_23
10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Price. Well it depends if you buy new, used, ebay, someone locally, what version of what kind. Probably anywhere from 300$us - 1000$us. who knows now a days.

I got a couple of pics. Hard to get a clear pciture oddly enough.

ryder_23
10-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Display showing it picking up P25 signal. Ya, cant really see it..

Think its monitoring district 3 / 4 main dispatch at this momment, cant really see though.

hussein
10-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Nice thats a sick looking unit.

l8braker
10-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Sweet dude, thanks for the info.

Tell us, what's the craziest call you've heard over that thing? I'm seriously going to look into that. Awesome stuff

dino_martini
10-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I have a Icom scanner, but I use that to listen to ATC when I go and watch the planes at the Airport. I will definitly, look into this. It sounds pretty interesting. :thumbsup:

ryder_23
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
Sweet dude, thanks for the info.

Tell us, what's the craziest call you've heard over that thing? I'm seriously going to look into that. Awesome stuff

Well, think they law might be you can listen but cant talk. But since its publics news, the big crash last night on deerfoot was pretty caotic. As well as listening to traffic try and negotiate a funeral procession that isnt cooperating :rofl:

edit: I should add those arn't the craziest calls. Just common things you hear...fights, bar brawls, etc...