PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot??

00CivicSi
09-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Just some questions maybe a member may help me with. I havn't had a flu shot in almost 13 years. Now that I'm way older and have more on my plate, I'm considering it. Do I actually need it? and if I should get it where do I go to get it? Family doctor? and how much does it cost?

wildrice
09-26-2006, 11:25 PM
this topic could be debated on and on. it's up to you if u wanna get it.
as far as where? yea ur family doctor will do it for you for 10-20 bucks iirc.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2006, 11:43 PM
I've never gotten them, ridiculous if you ask me, waste of time and money.

Boohoo so you get sick for a week, suck it up, the alternative is creating these fawking super-flu's

The ounce of prevention may beat a pound of cure, but it'll kill us all in the end.

On the topic though, news said flu shots won't be available until late november for Canada and the UK. Something about one of the vaccinations taking longer to create. I call :bullshit: $50 says our southern neighbors bought the whole lot before we could at a premium so they could sell it for twice the premium to all those pandemic-panick stricken amerikkkano's.

00CivicSi
09-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Boohoo so you get sick for a week, suck it up, the alternative is creating these fawking super-flu's

Actually I'm quite healthy and only have about 1 cold a year (knock on Wood). Just with alot more in my life now. Stepping on a nail and all the bad flu's out, I thought it might be a good idea.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 00CivicSi

Actually I'm quite healthy and only have about 1 cold a year (knock on Wood). Just with alot more in my life now. Stepping on a nail and all the bad flu's out, I thought it might be a good idea.

To each their own, I don't get them, because like you, I only get one cold a year. So why bother.

Maybe if your dealing with the masses on a daily basis it wouldn't hurt, but luckily I don't.

85regal
09-27-2006, 07:16 AM
no harm in getting it. and a cold is different from the flu, and flu usually lasts more then a week and knocks you on your ass. my work always offers it so i always get it.

adam c
09-27-2006, 11:30 AM
yea my work offers it too.. im not sure if i want one tho..

im not scared of needles but for some reason they dont agree with me and im lightheaded for a good 5 minutes

Lex350
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
my work offeres it. I've had it done for the last three years. Over that time not a problem. The two years before that I was off once each year with the flu. I'm not saying it is right for you only that it has been good for me.

Watcher
09-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I think you can get them from a vacination clinic, like the ones that you bring your child to.

codo
09-27-2006, 05:41 PM
mind control

nonsane
10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by codo
mind control

one of us
one of us
one of us
one of us.

I've gotten one the last 5/6 years. The one year i didn't get it. I got the flu.

Sprinter
10-04-2006, 08:54 AM

The ounce of prevention may beat a pound of cure, but it'll kill us all in the end.

On the topic though, news said flu shots won't be available until late november for Canada and the UK. Something about one of the vaccinations taking longer to create. I call :bullshit: $50 says our southern neighbors bought the whole lot before we could at a premium so they could sell it for twice the premium to all those pandemic-panick stricken amerikkkano's.

Said like a true cynic

I can't help but agree with this statement, however that can be said about anything really. Bacteria and such eventually become immune if we use the same hand soap over and over again(bad example)... its not good to rely on something for a long period of time.

If you need the flu shot then yes; but if its just "oh I'll do it just for the heck of it", then you should find a better reason and save your time and money

GTS Jeff
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM

I don't think you should be giving advice if you don't know what you are talking about.

Vaccines do not create drug resistance because they do not attack the virus directly the way antimicrobials do. They stimulate the patient's own immune system to create defenses against the virus so that the virus can never even colonize to begin with. The Influenza virus DOES mutate on its own (yes, that's evolution, both macro and micro for you creationists) and that is why we develop a new vaccine every year. These "super-flus" you speak of, basically create themselves every 50-100 years, when a macroevolutionary change hits them, and they become too radically different for our vaccines to work at all. However, for the yearly minute changes to the flu virus, the vaccine is a great way to not have to deal with being sick. No downsides unless you're a needle scared pansy.

Also, I believe you are looking for the word, "epidemic," as "pandemic" is something totally different.

Altezza
11-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I had one a month ago. I always experience flu symptoms from the shot. What's worse is that I'm allergic to the "egg" they use for the shot as well (as I recently discovered). No more flu shots for me.

EK 2.0
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I heard select places are offering the shots right now...

Village Square Co-op being one of them...:dunno:

I HATE needles so I am not getting one...haha...

saladonthebeach
11-10-2006, 12:45 AM
I haven't got a flu shot for as long as I can remember and I only had a bout of the flu about three years ago.. probably from the fockers who don't wash their hands and share everything they have. :love:

ZedMan
11-10-2006, 02:11 AM
I'll take my chances with what nature gave me.

GTS Jeff
11-10-2006, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by ZedMan
I'll take my chances with what nature gave me. The flu shot basically stimulates, "what nature gave you."

gran turismo
11-10-2006, 09:44 AM
I got the flu shot yesterday so it's available now.

For those of you who say you haven't gotten sick and haven't had the flut shot, you could be infecting others. The nurse explained that it's possible to be carrying the virus, not show symptons, but pass that virus onto others.

rx7girlie
11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't really think most beyond members "need" the shot. However, that being said, I'm generalizing who beyond members are! If you are working around people who could be serisouly compromised by the influenza virus, yes, then you can get it.... plus if it is the case, you often get it for free BY association.

For example, if I have a 6 month old child, then I can get it, and I probably should! If I work with the seniors population (which I do) I should probably get it too!

OK. With that in mind, I'll speak a little to the influenza virus. First off, you CANNOT get influenza from the vaccine, the virus is "killed", therefore it has only enough antigenicity to stimulate the immune response. You will most likely get a localized reaction (really, if even that) which is just redness or soreness at the site. You may also (less likely) get systemic reactions, which may be a low-grade fever and some malaise. Take a tylenol, you'll get over it.

If you really want the vaccine, you can also qualify via having certain aliments. For example, if you have ANY type of asthma, you are automatic qualifier regardless of age. Also included: MS, cancer, autoimmune diseases etc.... it's a pretty inclusive list.

Anyways, bottom line, if you live with or work with a susceptible population (young children, people >65yoa) GET IT!!

rx7girlie
11-10-2006, 10:51 AM

Again, true for the "healthy" population. But again, those who may suffer the serious effects of influenza are not so luck to "suck it up for a week".

Also, wanted to add, that as mentioned we don't create "super-flus". To specify, the influenza vaccine has 3 strains of what is predicted to be the ones circulating naturally for the season. It changes EVERY year, hence it being a annual vaccine. And at times, we get a totally unpredicted influenza virus that, like Jeff said, mutates over time. The time band is ~10-40years that they are on the look of for "mutated" influenza, as far as I know, we are on the cusp of that time.

GQBalla
11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
what about the government mind control theory??

im porbably goin to get one this year since my work is having nurses come.

i haven't had one for maybe 5 years now? and im fine *knock on wood*

GTS Jeff
11-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
what about the government mind control theory?? That's what the francophones whined about during the last smallpox epidemic in Montreal. They ended up dying because they were too stupid to get vaccinated. :nut:

QuasarCav
11-10-2006, 06:14 PM
All this posting begs the question..... Does GTS Jeff get a flu shot?

xrayvsn
11-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by rx7girlie
I don't really think most beyond members "need" the shot. However, that being said, I'm generalizing who beyond members are! If you are working around people who could be serisouly compromised by the influenza virus, yes, then you can get it.... plus if it is the case, you often get it for free BY association.

For example, if I have a 6 month old child, then I can get it, and I probably should! If I work with the seniors population (which I do) I should probably get it too!

OK. With that in mind, I'll speak a little to the influenza virus. First off, you CANNOT get influenza from the vaccine, the virus is "killed", therefore it has only enough antigenicity to stimulate the immune response. You will most likely get a localized reaction (really, if even that) which is just redness or soreness at the site. You may also (less likely) get systemic reactions, which may be a low-grade fever and some malaise. Take a tylenol, you'll get over it.

If you really want the vaccine, you can also qualify via having certain aliments. For example, if you have ANY type of asthma, you are automatic qualifier regardless of age. Also included: MS, cancer, autoimmune diseases etc.... it's a pretty inclusive list.

Anyways, bottom line, if you live with or work with a susceptible population (young children, people >65yoa) GET IT!!

Originally posted by rx7girlie

Again, true for the "healthy" population. But again, those who may suffer the serious effects of influenza are not so luck to "suck it up for a week".

Also, wanted to add, that as mentioned we don't create "super-flus". To specify, the influenza vaccine has 3 strains of what is predicted to be the ones circulating naturally for the season. It changes EVERY year, hence it being a annual vaccine. And at times, we get a totally unpredicted influenza virus that, like Jeff said, mutates over time. The time band is ~10-40years that they are on the look of for "mutated" influenza, as far as I know, we are on the cusp of that time.

Spot on - absolutely.

What the geneticists and infectious disease people call the super-flu is the "antigenic shift", whereby the virus takes a huge leap in its mutations. If you watch Heroes, it is kind of the same idea... Haha. None of the current vaccines will protect against it since it is so different.

The CDC and the Canadian equivalent continually monitors the strains of influenza infecting people, especially in Asia. They then use this info to estimate the most likely strains to affect us this upcoming flu season andvaccinate against those. Sometimes what we get here is entirely different from what they predict and people get sick anyway.

Oh, and it isn't mind control, it is alien experiments and tracking of humans. Are you guys too young to remember the X-Files?

GTS Jeff
11-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
All this posting begs the question..... Does GTS Jeff get a flu shot? Yeah, it's sorta mandatory for me.