PDA

View Full Version : AWD car for around $15,000 or less.

writhen
09-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Hey guys, I really need help picking my dad's next car. He wants to be able to use this vehicle for winter and summer fun. So AWD is essential. As far as i know his options are AWD turbo DSM, 3000GT vr4, Skyline GTR, pulsar GTi-R, Subaru SVX, B5 Audi S4, Older Scooby.

Now all of these have downfalls.

The AWD DSM's have crankwalk issues generally that cost a lot to fix.
The 3000GT is a fat, heavy car. It can still move, but does feel a bit sluggish
Skyline GTR's are just way too common with the boy racers and the cops pick on them all the time
Pulsar GTi-R's are good on performance, but not really good looking or luxurious at all
SVX's are nice, but sluggish and only come in automatic.
B5 S4's/ A4's are high maintanence and have a variety of immediate necessary fixes than cost a ton of cash.
I haven't really looked into older Subaru Sti's but they arent very luxurious or good looking at all.

Anybody have any other recommendations or comments? It doesn't even have to be a car as long as its fast and AWD with some luxury and good looks. please let me know. thanks

PS - He doesn't care about RHD/LHD.

Nova316
09-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Celica GT4 :D
AWD 220hp and its a toyota
So it shouldnt be to hard to maintain

I want one lol and they're way below 15 grand

A2VR6
09-26-2006, 11:27 PM
hmm what about a Lancia Delta Integrale 16v? Turbo, AWD, and decently fast. Might be a little tough to find.

OR even better yet, a GMC Syclone/Typhoon. Looks may be subjective (I personally love them) and I dont know if you can find one around 15k.

andres_mt
09-26-2006, 11:41 PM
yea don't get a JDM AWD...they more than likely come in bad condition...so maintaining them would suck.

writhen
09-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
hmm what about a Lancia Delta Integrale 16v? Turbo, AWD, and decently fast. Might be a little tough to find.

OR even better yet, a GMC Syclone/Typhoon. Looks may be subjective (I personally love them) and I dont know if you can find one around 15k.

Holy shit, thats some good specs. The typhoon looks hot as well. Why are they so pricey though?? Also, only auto? Dad prefers manual tranny.

A2VR6
09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by writhen

Holy shit, thats some good specs. The typhoon looks hot as well. Why are they so pricey though?? Also, only auto? Dad prefers manual tranny.

Typhoon/Syclones are so pricey because they're pretty rare... I would even say they probably could be collectors items someday. Yes they only came in the auto.

writhen
09-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Oh, its also collector...Nah he wants something he can beat up on. I guess GTi-R or older STI :dunno:

BoS_DC2
09-26-2006, 11:59 PM
How about the Subaru Legacy AWD GT? 00-03?

writhen
09-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2
How about the Subaru Legacy AWD GT? 00-03?

Not enough power :burnout: :D

That.Guy.S30
09-27-2006, 12:16 AM
you do realize that STi came out in 94 in japan. so that means your dad cannot import one for another few years.

also, 15000 is not going to get him a new age STi either.

s3v3n
09-27-2006, 12:19 AM
3s fits the bill and really arent that sluggish lol

they are heavy (most awd cars are) but have some good luxury too (electronic susp, active exhaust, nice interiors, power everything). completely stock its an easy mid-13s car (of all those cars its the fastest stock). if thats not enough it should be able to run a high 12/low 13 with a few bpu mods.

and, personally, i think they are a pretty good lookin ride :)
and as a bonus they ONLY come in 5spd/6spd ... no auto for the awd tt versions.

writhen
09-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by s3v3n

they are heavy (most awd cars are) but have some good luxury too (electronic susp, active exhaust, nice interiors, power everything). completely stock its an easy mid-13s car (of all those cars its the fastest stock). if thats not enough it should be able to run a high 12/low 13 with a few bpu mods.

I guess they are pretty underrated. I saw this video of a stock 3s beating a GTR in a drag which shocked me. I think he's looking for an around 12 second car...so it should be a good bet. Now the only thing is he has to decide between importing from japan or the states. Either way its cheaper than buying one here. Any recommendations? BTW, he would only get the 91-93 or whatever. The years with the pop up lights (those are the only ones he likes).

95EagleAWD
09-27-2006, 12:46 AM
DSM.

Crankwalk is overrated; you have to be really unlucky to get it. It's not an "issue" but quite a rare problem that pops up in the 7-bolt engines.

Other than that, if you're looking to mod, DSMs are the cat's ass.

writhen
09-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
DSM.

Crankwalk is overrated; you have to be really unlucky to get it. It's not an "issue" but quite a rare problem that pops up in the 7-bolt engines.

Other than that, if you're looking to mod, DSMs are the cat's ass.

From what I've read on the dsm sites, the problem is pretty common and will eventually show up in almost every car. It can range from minor to major crankwalk and costs a ton to fix in general. This is all from what I've read though.

95EagleAWD
09-27-2006, 01:01 AM

From what I've read on the dsm sites, the problem is pretty common and will eventually show up in almost every car. It can range from minor to major crankwalk and costs a ton to fix in general. This is all from what I've read though.

:rofl:

What site have you been reading?!?!

Crankwalk is, and let me say this plainly, HIGHLY OVERRATED

It's not pretty common.

It won't eventually show up in every car.

If you're worried about it that much, buy a 1G Talon or swap a 6-bolt engine into a 2G.

writhen
09-27-2006, 01:13 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-terms.htm#whatiscrankwalk

From what I read there it came across to me as pretty frequent and expensive.

Phuqu
09-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Mazda MPV AWD.

mx73someday
09-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Want a luxurious Pulsar GTi-R? Get a Bluebird SSS, comes AWD with SR20DET.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g40557846

s3v3n
09-27-2006, 02:27 AM

I guess they are pretty underrated. I saw this video of a stock 3s beating a GTR in a drag which shocked me. I think he's looking for an around 12 second car...so it should be a good bet. Now the only thing is he has to decide between importing from japan or the states. Either way its cheaper than buying one here. Any recommendations? BTW, he would only get the 91-93 or whatever. The years with the pop up lights (those are the only ones he likes).
1g ftw! i love the pop ups too.
if you want a vr4 itll have to be from the usa or japan ... in canada all we got was the stealth. something to keep in mind tho is that the stealth rt/tt is the same as the vr4 ... just a little lighter and with some different body panals.
either way, try to find a 93 as imo they are the best of all the years if you wanna mod (although if youre just looking for 12s any of the years will stand up fine).

and i tend to agree that crankwalk is not as big an issue as people make it out to be in dsms. dsms are great cars to mod, but dont quite have the luxury feel of the 3s (and thus the weight too haha).

talonboi
09-27-2006, 09:27 AM
1g talons with 6bolts dont have crank walk, but the balance shafts are an issue, but i took mine out!

1990 eagle talon tsi AWD black
New water pump
New timming belt
New alternator
New tires

mods:
EVOIII 16g turbo
Custome upper intercooler pipe
Hks SSQV
660cc denso injectors
S-AFCII (black)
M-R 3" downpipe
M-R 3" Testpipe
M-R 3" catback
K&n air filter

14psi no boost conrtoller.

$4500obo:D

DSMer4Life
09-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I've owned two 93 1G 7-bolt DSMs and neither showed any sign of crankwalk. I've had one of these cars run a 14.2 in the quarter-mile with basic mods. AWD OWNZ! Fun stuff!:thumbsup:

lexis
09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
import a WRX from the states, may be slightly more than 15k, but worlds better than anything else listed here

japancar
10-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Does he have a budget in mind. Importing from Japan either a Nissan Skyline GTS or GTR are options.

One other car to think about are the Mercedes from Japan. We ship them to Canada now too, and they're much cheaper coming from Japan.

PM me for more details.

CLiVE
10-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by s3v3n

Nice cars, but be prepared for high maintenance costs. Completely over-engineered IMO.
And they are not mid-13s cars stock in Calgary....BPU will run mid 13's though.