PDA

View Full Version : .

nismodrifter
09-26-2006, 11:40 PM
edit: links broken:

Feel free to PM me if you would like info on offshore schools. I am always happy to help out any Beyonders that would like any assistance in picking/applying to schools in the caribbean.

nismodrifter
09-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Pics should work perfect now and here is a map of where the island is:

bluetek
09-26-2006, 11:48 PM
dude that place looks PIMP. I need to get down there sometime. I need a vacation. Hope you have a nice time down there. Keep us updated with more of those nice pics of yours.

szw
09-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

thinmyster
09-26-2006, 11:56 PM
why did you choose this school?

Gondi Stylez
09-27-2006, 12:09 AM
ur shit looks sick hommie!

so uhhh ill see ya in a few hours! :D

nismodrifter
09-27-2006, 12:10 AM
- Regarding cost: Cost is relatively the same. I don't know stats right off the top of my head but I remember reading that cost of education at U of S was like $15g the first year (2 semesters) and $24g for 3/4th year (4 semesters per year). That falls exactly in line with what I pay which is ~$7g USD per semester.

As for entry requirements: It is getting harder and harder to even get into a Caribbean school as a ton of people from Canada are applying. You WILL NOT get into this school without a strong application (some people think that you just hand in a form and get in...ummm no...with increasing number of applications they are getting more and more pickey about who they choose). This includes everything like volunteer work, extracurricular, employment, strong personal statement etc. I know of a couple people with 3.7X and decent MCAT that were turned away.

There is one girl from Calgary who is an RN and she couldn't get into U of C and came here. There are also a couple of upper semester students from Calgary who tried to get into Canadian schools but weren't able to (stats of like 3.7+gpa, excellent MCAT etc.). These people are crazy crazy smart.

I don't know exact #'s of what the average GPA is of people getting accepted but I can tell you that there are some freaking smart people in my class and the school (chiropractors, a dentist who hated his job, pharmacist who hated his job, nurses etc).

So in summary, it is obviously a little easier to get into this school than a Canadian school..but then again...what isn't.

- Thinmyster: It is a reputable school run by an organization that has been around for nearly 20 years. They know what they are doing and they know how to properly set students up so that we will have no issues with practicing medicine in the states AND in Canada. There are alot of ghetto schools down here in the Caribbean that are money minting operations. This school is not one of them. I know people who have graduated from this school and from its sister school and they have been nothing but impressed by the education they recieved and the clinical rotations they were setup with in the United States. I chose this school because I believe that they are going to help me to reach end goal of being an MD. So far so good. I'm really impressed with the professors and by the administration. The experience and brains of the people working here is just insane. Anatomy professor is hands down the best teacher I've ever had. He gives 3 shits about whether you understand the material...and if you don't he will do whatever it takes to help you get it.

dino_martini
09-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Wow that looks awsome..this reminds me of me needing a vacation :cry:

doublepostwhore
09-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Nismo did your parents also give you the three options? Lawyer, doctor, engineer, and if your really stupid... dentist? hahaha,

01RedDX
09-27-2006, 11:57 AM

Sprinter
09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Thats sick man, what an awesome place to be studying medicine :thumbsup:

xrayvsn
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
that looks so nice. You'll have to bring back a huge tin of Tim Horton's coffee and a proper Bunn coffee brewing station when you go back. Med school just doesn't seem complete without Timmy's coffee, haha.

yellowsnow
09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
sweet! will you be able to practise medicine in canada too? or is it just in certain states in america?

Kirbs17
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
sweet! will you be able to practise medicine in canada too? or is it just in certain states in america?

Read it again, its mentioned twice that he will be able to practice in Canada.

They know what they are doing and they know how to properly set students up so that we will have no issues with practicing medicine in the states AND in Canada

yellowsnow
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
my cousin is in the program and he told me he wouldn't be able to practise in canada, and only in certain states in the US. :confused: Has that changed recently or is it just really hard to get a residency in Canada?

78si
09-27-2006, 04:57 PM
OMG you left Saskatoon for that place!:rofl:

IhateDomestic
09-27-2006, 05:29 PM
wow man goodluck on your studies...

i got one main question we probly all wanna know...

...HOW ARE THE GIRLS THERE? :D

xrayvsn
09-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
my cousin is in the program and he told me he wouldn't be able to practise in canada, and only in certain states in the US. :confused: Has that changed recently or is it just really hard to get a residency in Canada?

I am not sure of the details with the US, but Nismo would be considered a foreign medical graduate if he wanted to come and practice in Canada. A Canadian residency spot may be harder to get as he will have to apply to the second iteration of the CaRMs (Canadian residency) match. This means that some of the more popular programs will already be filled by Canadian grads.

The other option is to do a US residency, write the Canadian equivalent of the USMLE (the MCCQE parts 1 and 2) and try to challenge the Canadian fellowship exam in his particular specialty. Also, he may be able to do a fellowship after his US residency at a Candian school, try to get a job in Canada and challenge the Canadian exams.

It is not as easy as being a Canadian med school grad, but not impossible.

NGRPLZ.NET
09-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I wanna be a doctor :confused:... hook it up!

toyboy88
09-27-2006, 07:17 PM
damn u lucky man..good luck on med school! :D :thumbsup:

ZedMan
09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic

...HOW ARE THE GIRLS THERE? :D

First thing that came to my mind, too :rofl:

That and liquor availability (BEACH PARTY! :clap: )

AJL
09-29-2006, 05:14 PM
wow, now I can see why you chose not to go to uofs
Dang, seriously dude.
I like it here at UofS but I would much rather be there.
Really good friends of my family used to be MAnagement at the 4 seasons on Nevis. We were planning a vacation there until they got transferred to Las Vegas.
Nice nice place.

digi355
12-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Are you a doctor yet? I'm guessing the deleted title means no? I have no idea why but I was really curious if you made it?