PDA

View Full Version : I dont know where to start - lowering springs

ogpog
09-27-2006, 03:15 PM
So i have a 2006 civic coupe that i bought last year. I have sold my fun toy, and now have only my civic as my vehicle. I just wanted to change it up a bit. It would look much more agressive with a slightly lower stance (as most cars do), but i dont want to spend a ton. Im in college too, so money is an object. Im not broke by any means, but im not looking for a track star. Simply a daily driver that looks a little meaner.

I tried emailing tunerworks a while ago to ask them about where i should begin. I mean, i dont know if i can just go with "lowering springs" because i dont know if that means i have to change out all my shocks too. And i know coilovers are very expensive. Tunerworks, as per usual it seems, did not respond. So now i ask if any of you can answer some of my questions. Thanks guys!

vietdood
09-27-2006, 03:25 PM
i'll tell you where to begin. don't bash shops just because you don't know what to do with your car

ogpog
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by vietdood
i'll tell you where to begin. don't bash shops just because you don't know what to do with your car

I wouldnt think of it. I simply stated that i have had problems with getting any sort of reply from them.
:dunno:
They could be the best aftermarket shop in canada for all I know. I never bashed their service, just their email replies.

QuasarCav
09-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Search?

ogpog
09-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Search?

Can you give me one example that actually finds something that answers my question? :dunno:

Is anyone here to actually help? Or just to find reasons not to :rolleyes:

dennisaur
09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
tein s.tech's are awesome lowering springs if you wanna use them with stock shocks

ogpog
09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by dennisaur
tein s.tech's are awesome lowering springs if you wanna use them with stock shocks

By using my stock shocks, do i pose any kind of damage threat to my car, or ride effect?? Is it just the four springs that get replaced or is there more to it?
Thanks!:D

QuasarCav
09-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Search for "lowering springs", "coilovers", "shocks".

Want to to add some URL's too you lazy prick?

ogpog
09-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Search for "lowering springs", "coilovers", "shocks".

Want to to add some URL's too you lazy prick?

If you need to have some sort of power trip, im all for it man, but can i please just find out the personal opinions and experiences of these guys on here please? I mean, im not saying you cant do your thing, but can you just wait until i find out how to lower my car first? Thanks! ;)

aram1000
09-27-2006, 04:01 PM
a guy in regina with a 2006 civic put some s-techs and some bigger wheels on his civic, did some hid's as well, looks pretty good, see pic

HRD2PLZ
09-27-2006, 04:21 PM
I lowered my Acura TL on with the Eibach Pro-Kit. I think the drop was 2.25" front and 2.00" rear. I ran it on the stock shocks for the entire 2 years with no problems.

ogpog
09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by aram1000
a guy in regina with a 2006 civic put some s-techs and some bigger wheels on his civic, did some hid's as well, looks pretty good, see pic

That looks nice! S-tech's sound like an easy way to go.

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
I lowered my Acura TL on with the Eibach Pro-Kit. I think the drop was 2.25" front and 2.00" rear. I ran it on the stock shocks for the entire 2 years with no problems.

So in addition to the springs, is there anything else installed? What about camber correction? is this an issue?

arian_ma
09-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Usually, I think if you lower your car too much on stock shocks you will end up blowing them, and having to buy new ones anyways, but my friend who has an integra has lowered his approx. 2 inches on stock shocks and so far so good. His only complaint is that the ride is way too bouncy. If you really want to get a stiffer better ride, go with shocks and springs, it shouldn't cost you more than $1000 for the whole package!
Good luck man.

EDIT: About the camber correction, just get an alignment done and you will be good to go, a camber kit is for people who constantly raise and lower their cars, so it helps them out a lot. (IE if you have coil overs a camber kit is probably a good idea). But since you are just lowering your car iwth lowering springs I'd say if you get an alignment you'll be good to go!

Police
09-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Usually, I think if you lower your car too much on stock shocks you will end up blowing them, and having to buy new ones anyways, but my friend who has an integra has lowered his approx. 2 inches on stock shocks and so far so good. His only complaint is that the ride is way too bouncy. If you really want to get a stiffer better ride, go with shocks and springs, it shouldn't cost you more than $1000 for the whole package!
Good luck man.

EDIT: About the camber correction, just get an alignment done and you will be good to go, a camber kit is for people who constantly raise and lower their cars, so it helps them out a lot. (IE if you have coil overs a camber kit is probably a good idea). But since you are just lowering your car iwth lowering springs I'd say if you get an alignment you'll be good to go!

OMG has it ever occured to you that some cars don't have camber adjustments? hence camber adjustment kits. They are not made for convinience. Please google camber kit before you post. How i love beyond for giving the most false info ever. :thumbsdow

A2VR6
09-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ogpog

That looks nice! S-tech's sound like an easy way to go.

So in addition to the springs, is there anything else installed? What about camber correction? is this an issue?

Usually if you lower a car you should put a rear camber kit in. Fronts are not really necessary since there is usually some form of adjustment in the front (but still very limited). I lowered my car only 1.5 inches and my rear camber was knocked to about -2 degrees. Keep in mind, that a stock setup has close to 0 to -0.5 degrees of negative camber. So I would highly suggest you to atleast get a rear camber kit.

ogpog
09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
okay, so rear camber kit and springs. Now i know this isnt going to cost too much, so what kind of prices am i looking at. For parts i was guessing around $250 for just the springs, and ?$ for the camber kit? What about installation, who can do it and where do you guys get stuff done?

Schwa
09-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Sorry, but a shop isn't going to teach you how to modify your car. They are to sell and install parts and to perhaps give a little advice, but if you do not know the difference between springs and coilovers please read up before you make a purchase.

Decide what kind of system you want, springs/shocks, or coilovers. Decide your ride comfort, decide if you want them to be adjustable. Decide on your budget.

I personally would not recommend using stock shocks because their damping qualities simply are not made to be paired with an aftermarket spring. Even though some companies like H&R and Eibach make spring setups for stock shocks, you will still end up blowing these prematurely due to the increased wear and tear you are putting on the shocks.

You'll end up replacing the shocks, which it doesn't sound like you can do yourself anyway. So while everything is off the car, pay the labor once and do it right.

aram1000
09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
agreed, i would do the shock as well, when i had my civic, i just did the springs first, and then did the shocks 2 years later, after that i wished i did the shocks earlier, its up to you in the end, if you are on a budget, then just to springs, but know that the shocks are gonna go sooner and that the ride won't be as tight if u decided to do shocks as well, good luck man, i'm sure u will figure out whats the right route for you

ogpog
09-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Schwa
but if you do not know the difference between springs and coilovers please read up before you make a purchase.

Thanks, but ive already stated that i know the difference. Just because im new to lowering my import doesnt mean im new to the auto scene. I can tear apart just about any truck or jeep you put infront of me. Its just because its a 2006 vehicle, i dont want to monkey with it, and i want to get the facts straight. Reading the difference between coilovers and springs isnt exactly as in detail as personal experiences.

Schwa
09-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Oh okay, my bad.

In that case I would recommend a coil over set up. Omnipower is a cheap and reliable brand altho some people have complained that the ride is a bit harsh. Tein, as said before, also makes a good basic coiliover set up.

If you really know what you are doing though, or have done your research, try Ground Control. They actaully use Eibach springs with custom rates - which you can choose, front and back - and pair it up dampers, so you get exactly what you want.

For a relatively inexpensive set up, with near stock spring rates and a slight drop, H&R Sports or the Eibach OEM kit (forget the real name) paired with Koni Yellows or KYB AGXs (adjustable) or GR2s (non-adjustable) are a good combo.

max_boost
09-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
I lowered my Acura TL on with the Eibach Pro-Kit. I think the drop was 2.25" front and 2.00" rear. I ran it on the stock shocks for the entire 2 years with no problems. :werd:

I've had the Eibach Pro Kit on my RSX-S for over two years now 1.0F and 1.4R. 50,000kms later and still no problems on the stock shocks. I recommend these springs for you.

$300-350 for the springs
$200-250 for installation and alignment

FEel free to contact any of our sponsors as I'm sure most of them can get them for you. As for Tunerworks not responding, they are a super busy place so might have to be a bit patient.

ogpog
09-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
:werd:

I've had the Eibach Pro Kit on my RSX-S for over two years now 1.0F and 1.4R. 50,000kms later and still no problems on the stock shocks. I recommend these springs for you.

$300-350 for the springs
$200-250 for installation and alignment

FEel free to contact any of our sponsors as I'm sure most of them can get them for you. As for Tunerworks not responding, they are a super busy place so might have to be a bit patient.

You guys make em sound like a solid set. I think ill check em out:)

And those prices are perfectly reasonable in my mind. Thanks for the help guys:D

max_boost
09-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Do you like the slammed look? If so, look into the Eibach Sportline. If you go with that, then you better be changing your shocks.

ogpog
09-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Do you like the slammed look? If so, look into the Eibach Sportline. If you go with that, then you better be changing your shocks.

Do the sportlines result in a lower ride height? Is there a ride, or a price difference between the two?

max_boost
09-28-2006, 12:55 AM
They should be the same price. Sport line is about 0.5 inches lower. Lower you go, the more your ride quality will suffer.

ogpog
09-28-2006, 12:57 AM
They should be the same price. Sport line is about 0.5 inches lower. Lower you go, the more your ride quality will suffer.

Thanks again for the help. Ill go in tomorrow and see if i can get my hands on a set. :)