PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple

SILVIA.K
09-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Royal purple i think it is the best oil you can get what do you think.

SilverBoost
09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I've used it for a few oil changes. I use Mobil1 now with an additive on top of that. I got over the purple colouring. It was cool for a while.

So why do you think it's the best oil you can get?

SILVIA.K
09-27-2006, 09:03 PM
It increases hp
and i can not get past the purple .

calgarys13
09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
motul is the pimp shit..if its good enough for gt500 jgtc cars and it smells that great its good enough for me!

Honda_002
09-27-2006, 09:36 PM
I dont care what anyone says, you can spend money on fancy oils like royal purple ect, but mobil 1 is the best for sure:thumbsup: its been proven, and any half decent knowledegable mechanic will tell you the same. And no oil doesnt increase horse power

dave5473
09-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Honda_002
And no oil doesnt increase horse power

Using a better oil (whichever brand) makes for less friction, which makes for less heat which will give you more horsepower, although it wouldnt be noticable gains

cman
09-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Mobil 1, no question about it.
Royal purple, amsoil etc. are also good but despite their price still do not perform as well as Mobil 1.

Mitsu3000gt
09-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Mobil 1 is what Audi reccomends, it comes from the factory in all Porsches and all Mercedes AMG product. That is good enough for me.

dave5473
09-27-2006, 10:23 PM
but mobil 1 is the best for sure:thumbsup: its been proven, and any half decent knowledegable mechanic will tell you the same.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

That is one study that "proves" that amsoil out performs mobil 1.

My opion is that it is mostly all personal preference and experiences. As long as the oil meets the manufacturers specs and grade then it should perform as well as any and a synthetic is better than a conventional oil. I have never noticed any differences in oil performance between brands of oil, every brand has tests that prove them to be the best.

Just my opinion.

Lo)2enz0
09-27-2006, 11:03 PM
alright, i am a total newbie when it comes to this cause normally i just bring it to a shop

so do you guys use mobil 1 for tranny fluid???

Mitsu3000gt
09-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Alot of people like redline fluids for trannys.

With oil, I don't really think any of the top end synthetics are significantly better than one another in general, but some are better for some specific cars, like 0W40 mobil 1 for alot of german cars. I believe BMW uses castrol synthetic from the factory though.

wheelz
09-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Motul is the best look at JGTC. But is expensive. Mobil is good for the money. Royal purple is shit. Its detegents and additives dont mix well with other oils, and can cause big time sludge. Dont mix brands often.

As for it making horsepower that is false. Oil cannot make power. The only way to make power is to add more air, or fuel thats it. It can keep you from loosing power. Running a lighter weight oil will do that.

Lo)2enz0
09-27-2006, 11:52 PM
ahh thanks i think i had redline and royal purple mixed up

cman
09-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by dave5473

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

That is one study that "proves" that amsoil out performs mobil 1.

My opion is that it is mostly all personal preference and experiences. As long as the oil meets the manufacturers specs and grade then it should perform as well as any and a synthetic is better than a conventional oil. I have never noticed any differences in oil performance between brands of oil, every brand has tests that prove them to be the best.

Just my opinion.
Key point being amsoil is not warranty covered!
We did a lab on motor oils at school and my results found mobil 1 to be slightly better than amsoil and purple in terms of cloud point, solid point, flash piont and smoke point.
I doubt it would really make a huge difference though as those were all at extrememes...but for the price difference Mobil 1 is the most affordable.

sh0ko
09-28-2006, 12:52 AM
vegatable oil is what i use!

dodger97
09-28-2006, 01:51 AM
OMG...you need to add oil???:eek:

ryder_23
09-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
alright, i am a total newbie when it comes to this cause normally i just bring it to a shop

My lude had some tranny issues, tossed in some gm syncromesh and cured it perfectly.

As for oil, I use to use mobil, recently went to royal purple...mainly because for me its way cheaper then mobil. Think my cost ended up being 30.50 for 6L of it...

Milk2%
09-28-2006, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0

Never use motor oil for tranny oil... Tranny oil is around 75w-30?? around there anyhow...and also a note that gm sycromesh is showen to improve and fix minor problems like synco grindage...but it also is bad in the same part because its basically synthetic oil...its harder on the tranny. But gm sycromesh worked dreams for me...well sorta the grindage left as soon as i changed the factory oil :barf: .

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by wheelz
Motul is the best look at JGTC. But is expensive. Mobil is good for the money. Royal purple is shit. Its detegents and additives dont mix well with other oils, and can cause big time sludge. Dont mix brands often.

As for it making horsepower that is false. Oil cannot make power. The only way to make power is to add more air, or fuel thats it. It can keep you from loosing power. Running a lighter weight oil will do that.

It can't make power, but it can free up existing power that was until then untapped. It would likely be so insignificant that you would need a dyno to see the changes though, nothing you could feel.

TurboZombie
09-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Milk2%

Never use motor oil for tranny oil... Tranny oil is around 75w-30?? around there anyhow...and also a note that gm sycromesh is showen to improve and fix minor problems like synco grindage...but it also is bad in the same part because its basically synthetic oil...its harder on the tranny. But gm sycromesh worked dreams for me...well sorta the grindage left as soon as i changed the factory oil :barf: .

Some manual trans do use motor oil for the gear box.

BlueFrenzy
09-28-2006, 10:29 AM
For us rotor heads (rotary engine people), Mobil 1 synthetic is probably the poorest choice according to Yamamoto-san (he's the smartest person in the world when it comes to rotaries). He mentioned this to us at the past 7stock. He recommends Valvoline, Royal Purple and Idemitsu.

For those of you that don't know, Royal Purple synthetic was designed by a rotary engine guy.

As well, Rick Engman, the fellow that builds the rotary engines for Downing race cars swears by Valvoline synthetic.

Zero102
09-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Milk2%

Say what?
Synthetic oil is harder on things?
Nonononono......

Most transmission fluids are 70W80,75W80,75W90 or straight weights (75,80,90W)
HOWEVER, they are ranked on a different scale than motor oils. A 70W80 gear oil is very very close in viscosity to a 5W30 motor oil, while a 75W90 is quite close to a 10W40.

Synchromesh is great stuff if you have a helical gear differential. If you have hypoid gears in your transmission (rear mounted transmissions usually have these) then you CANNOT use synchromesh, you require a fluid with at least GL-4 rating. Redline MTL is the thinnest fluid out there carrying a GL-4 rating FYI. I put it in my 951 and shifting is MUCH MUCH better than with the swepco 80W90 that was in there.
If you have a FWD vehicle, then it is extremely unlikely that you will have hypoid gears and go ahead with synchromesh, it's excellent stuff.

Synthetics > conventionals period.

In the case of rotary engines, you want synthetics with certain properties. Essentially you want ashless oils because you don't want the oil to leave residue on the combustion chambers when it burns. Unfortunately Mobil 1 ranks near the top if you were to rank synthetics by how much residue is left when they burn. It is entirely possible that Royal Purple ranks near the bottom, if that's the case then it is a good fit for the job. Amsoil would probably also do very well in this application.

Cword
09-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Bummer

For a minute there I thought you guys were following Nish's FIA record attempts.

heavyD
09-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Royal Purple is garbage synthetic oil. Use it only if you want to spend more money on an inferior oil.:thumbsdow

vietdood
09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by SILVIA.K
It increases hp

that just gave me an idea to repack oil and stamp on "ADDS HORSEPOWER!!!" charging $30 a litre and making millions off ricers :rofl:

Palmiros
09-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by vietdood

that just gave me an idea to repack oil and stamp on "ADDS HORSEPOWER!!!" charging $30 a litre and making millions off ricers :rofl:

That sounds great! I'll call my agent..

2+2=?
09-28-2006, 08:49 PM
RP
I use this in one of my cars
It isn't a big bad V8 so i need every little thing that i can get.
If a little oil can help, Well i'm game

Honda_002
09-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by dave5473

Using a better oil (whichever brand) makes for less friction, which makes for less heat which will give you more horsepower, although it wouldnt be noticable gains
so if its not noticable is not really a gain!

crXbuSit
09-29-2006, 10:39 PM
its good stuff, definetly made my car run better :thumbsup:

dave5473
09-29-2006, 11:14 PM

so if its not noticable is not really a gain!

Just a way to market the product, and make millions on the ricers

Honda_002
09-30-2006, 02:13 AM
no kidding

ricosuave
10-01-2006, 08:24 AM
id go with amzoil, mobil 1 or hell, even petrocanada duron synthetic before i used royal purple.