PDA

View Full Version : **Need FACTUAL advice with Traffic Scenario**

Boosted_TL
09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey All,

I need to find out from some of the guys here that know for a fact about this situation!

I received a speeding ticket 4 months ago. Something like 15 or 16 over the limit on 22x. Now, the conviction date is May 26, 2006 and I totally forgot about this ticket untill I needed to pull an abstract for work earlier this week. So the ticket still remains unpaid.

Now I know that in your absence you are " guilty " for the charge, but could I head down to RMP and speak with a JP and say to him/her that I had honestly forgot about this ticket until I pulled this abstract and my demerit points are riding on the opportunity of a great career job. Is there anyway to reinstate a court date and then let Points take care of it?

IMO I think I am SOL because its 4 months later but its worth a shot for me to ask this.

Thanks

accord885
09-28-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure you SOL but it can't hurt anything to go and talk to them... worst they will say is "you SOL" and you'll have to pay the ticket.

AllGoNoShow
09-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Problem now is that they changed the legislation so that you can't get rid of all the demerits anymore. When I went in to fight my ticket I got it from 3 demerits to 2. Better then 3 still but they aren't allowed to drop all the demerits anymore.

Boosted_TL
09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by accord885
I'm pretty sure you SOL but it can't hurt anything to go and talk to them... worst they will say is "you SOL" and you'll have to pay the ticket.

I agree

Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Problem now is that they changed the legislation so that you can't get rid of all the demerits anymore. When I went in to fight my ticket I got it from 3 demerits to 2. Better then 3 still but they aren't allowed to drop all the demerits anymore.

For real? FUCK! I never heard about that. So then there is only one way to remove demerits once every 2 years and thats with taking a Defensive Driving Course that I am taking this Sunday

:rofl:

AllGoNoShow
09-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Yup, I got my defensive driving but will wait until I really need to use it or until those 2 years are up and use it up then do it again :)

It was news to me until i went to fight the tickets too, was kind of bummed but worked out ok in the end, got them all reduced $ wise and one thrown out. The expensive one :D

Boosted_TL
09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the help James! I have now come to terms with my loss, after the destruction on my basement!

AllGoNoShow
09-28-2006, 02:34 PM
:rofl: :rofl: No problem man! Good luck to yah!

Traffic_Cop
09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
You can go to the court and re-apply to have the case re-opened. A judge will review your request, and if permitted the ticket will re-enter the court system and a new trial date will be set. The current ticket will stay on your abstract as you have already been found guilty in absence. DO NOT expect any deals on this ticket, expect to go through a complete trail, the only way you can have this removed is by fighting the ticket and winning.

Watcher
09-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
You can go to the court and re-apply to have the case re-opened. A judge will review your request, and if permitted the ticket will re-enter the court system and a new trial date will be set. The current ticket will stay on your abstract as you have already been found guilty in absence. DO NOT expect any deals on this ticket, expect to go through a complete trail, the only way you can have this removed is by fighting the ticket and winning.

Is this an appeal or double jeopardy?

Lexxan
09-28-2006, 09:22 PM
i'd definitely do a trial.. waste the governments money

Palmiros
09-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Lexxan
i'd definitely do a trial.. waste the governments money

Your money, rather?

nos_efx
10-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I dont think they got rid of it.... I received a ticket on my way to Airdrie, clocked 30 over the limit (110)... spoke with the Provincial courts out there and they said the only reason they couldnt remove the demerits was because I was 30 over...

Conversely, I received a ticket within the city for going 22 over the limit (90) and the person I spoke with told me that "well you are 2 over the limit that I allowed to remove the demerits, but I'll do this for you this one time."

Anyways, hope you get things worked out

Originally posted by Boosted_TL

I agree

For real? FUCK! I never heard about that. So then there is only one way to remove demerits once every 2 years and thats with taking a Defensive Driving Course that I am taking this Sunday