PDA

View Full Version : BAd Fuel

civiclx98
09-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, how's everyone? I'm new to this.

So I have a 1998 Honda Civic Lx (d16y7 motor). It's a 5 speed. I'm not into tuning, especially not this car LOL But it's solid, reliable, and I do like it.

I am having a problem. The car is exhibiting a number of issues with regard to acceleration.

Unless I'm at a very high rpm I cannot fully depress the gas pedal, or the engine bogs and it takes forever to accelerate. I find this happens in all gears. Again, this only happens when I'm not at a very high rpm. On the flip side, when I am at a high rpm, the car still feels sluggish, and at times it feels as though the engine is being momentarily shut off (almost as though it were choking or sputtering). But it's a very slight instant.

Also, a bad odour of unburnt gasoline; an example would be pushing it - bringing it between 5000 - 6000 rpm in second and third, which I do rarely, when I upshift I get a bad odour of raw gasoline in the car.

As an aside, lately I've noticed that the car is making an odd sound, almost as though there's some kind of hole or leak in an air tube? If you've ever heard the air exhaust of an electric air-compressor, you'd know the sound I'm referring to. It's a put-put-put sound, only very, very fast, and not particularly loud. It seems to be coming from the engine compartment.

Since I've had the car I've changed the oil regularly at 3000 - 5000 km intervals, with a full synthetic. I bought the car with 126,000 on the odometer, and it now has 150. I've noticed, in the last 24,000 km the above issues have either been greatly exaggerated, or have made themselves apparent.

My personal opinion is that it's an issue with fuel delivery, but I'm thinking there may also be poor spark, or missfiring. Any ideas?

SILVIA.K
09-28-2006, 03:48 PM
IT can be your timing.:thumbsup:

slammed_cb7
09-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Check all of your fuel lines. It would explain a lot of the above symptoms if one were leaking.

the_new_santa1
09-28-2006, 03:57 PM
First off I would change your plugs, wires, is there a cel light on?

The Cosworth
09-28-2006, 04:03 PM
it was my timing on my mustang that did the same thing, my timing belt was old and started to wear out, and eventually i figured out what the hell was going on and changed it, problem solved

civiclx98
09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I don't think it's the timing belt, or any of the serpentine belts. They were all replaced quite recently. Plugs I had replaced about 8,000 km ago. I'll check the fuel lines though.

How about the fuel pump/filter?

The Cosworth
09-28-2006, 04:38 PM
serpentine belts wouldnt do it, if it wasnt installed with the timing correct it could do it, mine slipped one tooth and screwed it up

check ur fuel pressure too, maybe...MAYBE a plugged fuel filter

Cheeze
09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
my advice. do a tuneup. New plugs, cap, rotor

if that doesnt solve the problem, run some fuel injector cleaner thru it.

Police
09-28-2006, 05:29 PM
go get your timing checked, change fuel filter, not necessary to check fuel lines that is just plain retarded. Its obvious if fuel was leaking. Cap and rotors if problem still persists. Did you gap your plugs properly? Check your airfilter as well. ummm also get some injector cleaner haha basically you do a full tune-up.:nut:

TurboZombie
09-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Could be your MAF sensor or MAP sensor, not sure which one your car would use. If these sensors are buggered it will read the incorrect amount of air flow going into your engine.

civiclx98
09-29-2006, 07:28 PM
I had my cars computer read; five codes showed up on the screen: piston 1 missfiring, piston 3 missfiring, piston 4 missfiring, MAP sensor malfunctioning, and possible piston 2 missfire. Could the MAP sensor really cause this to happen?

I don't think it's the ignition coil/pack, as the car starts on a dime every time, without hesitation.

Mibz
09-29-2006, 07:51 PM
My coil was one of the suspicious parts in my misfire. I had 5 replaced at the same time so the culprit was never nailed down but don't rule it out completely. My car started fine 100% as well.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-29-2006, 08:06 PM
sounds like your plugs, or timing, or wires. it could be anything... i'd start off with timing... go to plugs, and then if that doesn't do it.. :dunno: mechanic?

Weapon_R
09-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Check your timing and unplug your O2 sensor. I had the worst bogging problem, it used to buck like a bull in my old honda. I fixed it by unplugging the o2 and once i determined that it was the problem, I replaced it and all was well.

civiclx98
09-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Alright, so I did what everyone suggested, and nothing has changed it. I guess it's just getting old, and the owner before me didn't treat it well.

I'll drive my Honda till it drops, and wont run anymore, which should be another ten years or so LOL

Thanks everyone!

Police
10-01-2006, 12:24 PM
if you cant fix it sell it to me, i need a winter beater

civiclx98
10-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Police, buddy, I would sell it to you. But I paid 10 grand for it just a year ago, and I wanna get as much use out of it as possible. I firmly believe that I was ripped off, but that's my own stupid mistake!

djayz
10-01-2006, 04:28 PM
take it to a mechanic and have it checked...even if you spend 500 dollars the car will last along time and it will run much better.

it is your timing that is off though. maybe your timing belt has slipped or was not put on right in the first place