PDA

View Full Version : Yield in the merge lane...

Cruz
09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
I know it's been discussed before but everytime an idiot does this in front of me...

My question is: why don't cover this in driving school? On an average day, how many times does a person parallel park vs how many times they have to merge?

szw
09-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Some people are just scared or extremely cautious.

Cruz
09-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by szw
Some people are just scared or extremely cautious.

I understand your point but that's not an excuse. The signs are posted as they are for a reason.

ZedMan
09-29-2006, 12:10 AM
You have to have some faith that the merge lane will work and you'll get in. People who lack faith, are therefore afraid.
Understanding their logic, however, doesn't stop me from getting pissed off when they block the goddam merge.

VW02
09-29-2006, 12:32 AM
some people are dumb, they think its unsafe so they slow down and eventually stop at the beginning or the end. they dont realize that its much more dangerous to do that. maybe one day people will learn

l/l/rX
09-29-2006, 12:37 AM
AND when ppl ATTEMPT to merge they dont get enough speed to merge. and then 99% of the time the on coming taffic will NOT slow down to let the dumbass thats going 30 in the merge lane in, when the oncoming person is already doing 80ish.
im not saying they have to be doing exact same speed as me so that i dont have to brake, no. but at least do something faster than 30? please?

good example crowchild north infront of the baseball diamond. USUALLY i would try and change lanes, but when all 3 lanes are side by side with cars, and we're going 80-85, there is no way im letting a slow poke thats only doing 30 and not even attempting to accelerate a bit more, in.

AND then there are the total assholes that WONT let you in when merging. you're up to speed with the rest of traffic but the the asshole in the lane over decides to speed up leaving no gap for you (the merger) to squeeze in.

but yes, the people who come to complete stops at a merge thinking that its a yield i always honk them. seriously read the signs better. yield is BRIGHT RED, merge says MERGE on it!

al-ti2d
09-29-2006, 12:41 AM
this isn't really about yeilding at merges but i hate it when the fukkers in the other lane speed up just so that the other car in the merge lane can't have the chance to come in... assholes i tell you!

eb0i
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Perhaps the way they teach new drivers is outdated. More merging practice, more defensive driving, more deerfoot practice. What they really have to do is get the person behind the wheel to be more confident and competent.

three.eighteen.
09-29-2006, 02:04 AM
when faced with merging traffic the driver in the adjacent lane (the allowing lane) should either, speed up, slow down or change lanes to facilitate safe driving conditions for all parties
i hate it when people won't let each other in, or worse in traffic crawls the people in the merge lane won't take the space their given, thinking they can punch it and get in a few cars ahead, traffic is that much slower in this city because people are idiots, a healthy merge works in a zipper-like fashion

khtm
09-29-2006, 06:40 AM
I think the solution is to not allow women to drive.

Crymson
09-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
when faced with merging traffic the driver in the adjacent lane (the allowing lane) should either, speed up, slow down or change lanes to facilitate safe driving conditions for all parties
i hate it when people won't let each other in, or worse in traffic crawls the people in the merge lane won't take the space their given, thinking they can punch it and get in a few cars ahead, traffic is that much slower in this city because people are idiots, a healthy merge works in a zipper-like fashion

I disagree, i think if you're travelling in the lane, in which someone is attempting to merge, the best thing you can do is to maintain your exact speed or distance from the vehicles around you. So long as you're not being a tailgating douchebag, there should be more than enough room for someone to make it in, then you can apply the breaks after the merge to get back to normal spacing. I hate it when i'm trying to merge, and people are changing speeds-- if everything remained constant, most of us could merge into a spot barely larger than our vehicle.

ogpog
09-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by khtm

I 100% agree. Im glad someone said it, and i couldnt agree more.

VW02
09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Crymson

I disagree, i think if you're travelling in the lane, in which someone is attempting to merge, the best thing you can do is to maintain your exact speed or distance from the vehicles around you. So long as you're not being a tailgating douchebag, there should be more than enough room for someone to make it in, then you can apply the breaks after the merge to get back to normal spacing. I hate it when i'm trying to merge, and people are changing speeds-- if everything remained constant, most of us could merge into a spot barely larger than our vehicle.

I agree, maintain speed and you both can calculate exactly when and where everyone will be, changing speed constantly changes that and then people just mess up and thats when they become scared

topmade
09-29-2006, 08:52 AM
There is always going to be some dumbass that won't let anyone in no matter how well you merge, and there will always be the other dumbass that will stop on a yield when there is a merge lane. What can you do? Give them a honk to get their attention followed by a middle finger, then life goes on.

Xtrema
09-29-2006, 10:15 AM
If the fault of privatizing driving exams. Lots more morons are on the road because the lack of strict examination.

bluetek
09-29-2006, 10:30 AM
I hate when people do it. Happens every day at the same place for me over and over again. A car stops and waits to get in at the very start of the merge lane and blocks all other traffic behind them from going around them and merging properly. The worst part is when some drivers will just sit there, wait, and not even attempt to get in. Every day it never seems to fail.

As far as merging into a lane where the parellel car speeds up and does not allow you in, well, that does not bother me all that much. The other car does have the right of way and it is their lane. Its your job to maneuver yourself into that lane if they speed up, slow down, or block you in.

mx73someday
09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Amen, merging is more than just changing lanes, its about doing the same speed as the lane you're joining. I hate it in traffic when someone merges in front of you then does 10-20 under the limit, they begin to create a useless gap of many car lengths in front of them.

We really need better driver testing, there are so many people who are ignorant to the law of the road. If everyone drove a little more efficiently, there would be less traffic and less collisions.

snade831
09-29-2006, 11:10 AM

You're an idiot

yellowsnow
09-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I was trying to merge into John Laurie once, and this stupid minivan stopped at the beginning of the merge lane and just sat there for a few mins. There was a long line of cars behind us, so I just pulled around her to the right and zoomed past her and merged properly. I hope she got the message.. this is how you MERGE dumbass!

mucat
09-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Like other said, there are two side of the story.

Those who treat it as a yeild sign during merge in.
And those who doesn't let other merge in.

Merging is cooperation between drivers from two lanes. If from past experience, the driver trying to merge always got block of, he/she might merge in slower or stop the next time. So, next time someone merge in, leave enough space (not just one car length for god sake, remember, the 2 second rule), constant speed and let the merging driver in.

yellowsnow
09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
The driver in the merge lane has right of way. So if you are trying to merge, and a guy blocks you while you are merging, they are at fault

Moonracer
09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by bluetek
I hate when people do it. Happens every day at the same place for me over and over again. A car stops and waits to get in at the very start of the merge lane and blocks all other traffic behind them from going around them and merging properly. The worst part is when some drivers will just sit there, wait, and not even attempt to get in. Every day it never seems to fail.

As far as merging into a lane where the parellel car speeds up and does not allow you in, well, that does not bother me all that much. The other car does have the right of way and it is their lane. Its your job to maneuver yourself into that lane if they speed up, slow down, or block you in.

Originally posted by yellowsnow
The driver in the merge lane has right of way. So if you are trying to merge, and a guy blocks you while you are merging, they are at fault

I guess you two didn't take drivers ed? FYI, both drivers have equil rights at a merge. The person in the driving lane must make a gap for the person merging to get in. And the person merging must accelerate to the speed of traffic to get into those gaps. :)

Vagabond142
09-29-2006, 12:06 PM
A horrid one is 16th Ave N to Deerfoot Southbound. I drive that every morning, and without fail it is slowed to a crawl because of the double merge, ie people from 16th wanting on to Deerfoot, and people on Deerfoot wanting on to Memorial. It's quite literally the slowest part of Deerfoot next to the Glenmore turnoff going southbound. If people just maintained speed and cross-merged, there would be no slowdown! :whipped: :whipped:

Black Gts
09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
I think that the YIELD sign from peigan onto deerfoot is stupid. How do you plan to yield to vehicles travelling at 100+... Some people get it and MERGE, but people get even sillier there, because when they merge they yield anyways and the yield sign confuses them..:guns: :guns:

khtm
09-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by snade831

You're an idiot
At least I know how to merge properly :thumbsup:

mucat
09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I guess you two didn't take drivers ed? FYI, both drivers have equil rights at a merge. The person in the driving lane must make a gap for the person merging to get in. And the person merging must accelerate to the speed of traffic to get into those gaps. :)

I agree...<sigh> Something so important yet people get it wrong completely.

I wonder what happen if they are driving and meet at a merge...

Unrelated note: I have people horned at me because they want to cut into my lane but I didn't yield on a NORMAL 2 lane road, very strange encounter.

three.eighteen.
09-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

i think we're thinking about merging at different speeds, like i mentioned towards the end of my post, a good merge lane and good mergers will do so in a zipper like fashion, proving your constant velocity opinion is correct, but that type of thing only happens on a more controlled road with max of like 50-70...the deerfoot->southland->blackfoot merge lane thing is a good example of this

but in the case of say mcleod south to anderson east its 80 and i dont think anyone would feel comfortable merging into a spot barely larger than their car, this is where i apply my speed up/slow down/move over idea...to give them ample room, cus the last thing you want people to do is slow down at a merge where flow of traffic is going 80+

A3GTiVR6SC
09-29-2006, 02:35 PM
is it the dumbasses fault if he gets rear-ended for stopping at a merge an yielding? :dunno:

if not, i think this law should be enforced. :D

:hijack:

DeMoon
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC
is it the dumbasses fault if he gets rear-ended for stopping at a merge an yielding? :dunno:
if not, i think this law should be enforced. :D
:hijack:

I totally agree. If the dumbass is in the merging lane and slamms on the break and gets rear-ended, it should be there fault.

I've been driving for 16 years and only accident I've been involved in was when some dumbass slams on her breaks during a merge.

bluetek
09-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I guess you two didn't take drivers ed?

Ya ya I've taken it. While ago though.

The way I see it is If a person is merging properly the person in the paralell lane shouldn't have to put the brakes on. It should be the merger who either has to speed up or slow down or adjust their speed accordingly to get in. What I meant by right of way is that the person who is merging has to be aware and look out for motorists in the lane their merging into. They can not just be careless and swerve over and smoke fellow cars and expect it to be equal rights/fault. They have more of the responsibility to find a way in and join the flow of traffic , while the other motorist has the responsibility of being courteous and allowing space for people to get in. HMM... hope this makes sense.

Moonracer
09-29-2006, 08:16 PM
^^^yup, I think you got it. :thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
09-29-2006, 09:42 PM
I fuckin hate people that try and merge as soon as a lane starts, say macknight west, you come off deerfoot, and then some idiot tries to merge right on top of you, that part of the lane is for ppl comming onto macknight, not turning off to deerfoot.. Memorial exit is the same way, that lane is exactly 1km and everyone tries to jam in at the 16th ave onramp, incase they don't find a hole in the next KM!

mucat
09-30-2006, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by bluetek

Ya ya I've taken it. While ago though.

The way I see it is If a person is merging properly the person in the paralell lane shouldn't have to put the brakes on. It should be the merger who either has to speed up or slow down or adjust their speed accordingly to get in. What I meant by right of way is that the person who is merging has to be aware and look out for motorists in the lane their merging into. They can not just be careless and swerve over and smoke fellow cars and expect it to be equal rights/fault. They have more of the responsibility to find a way in and join the flow of traffic , while the other motorist has the responsibility of being courteous and allowing space for people to get in. HMM... hope this makes sense.

So if all the cars in the main road are leaving less than one car length, how in the world can the merger "find a way in" to merge into the lane?? And what should the merger do in this situation? It is not a hypothetical situation, I saw it many times. The merger can only stop if he/she is at the end of the merge lane, right?

That's the reason why no one driver has the right of way in a merge situation, the drivers on the main road has to leave enough space (SAFE space) to allow the merger to merge in and the merger has to increase to main road traffic speed before merge in. Either party breaks the rule or not aware of the other will create problem in a merge.

dodger97
09-30-2006, 02:49 AM

Exactly what does gender have to do with the capablilty of merging???

What do you drive?? I could outdrive you, out maneuver and out park you in my truck...don't talk male vs female - bad drivers are based on individuals not groups, races, genders, etc...

dodger97
09-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by ogpog

I 100% agree. Im glad someone said it, and i couldnt agree more.

Ignorant comment...let me guess - you are single??? Mommy didn't give you enough hugs?? You are bitter with the female gender for a reason - what is it??:cry:

ercchry
09-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by dodger97

What do you drive?? I could outdrive you, out maneuver and out park you in my truck...don't talk male vs female - bad drivers are based on individuals not groups, races, genders, etc...

have you heared of the three o's of driving by chance?

dodger97
09-30-2006, 03:28 AM
Enlighten me...

khtm
09-30-2006, 10:15 AM

I drive a motorbike. Still think you can "outdrive me", "out maneuver" and "out park" me in your truck? :rolleyes:

Read up for all the stories where people talk about others not merging well. It's usually women. Women typically drive "scared", and that's no mental state to be in when merging. Call me sexist, but that's just what I've noticed.

ogpog
09-30-2006, 10:22 AM

Ignorant comment...let me guess - you are single??? Mommy didn't give you enough hugs?? You are bitter with the female gender for a reason - what is it??:cry:

no, actually im in the middle of a long termer at the moment, and I love ladies. They just cant fucking drive worth shit. Its not sexist, Its just the facts of life. Guys arent good at sewing, girls arent good at driving.

Watcher
09-30-2006, 10:57 AM

I drive a motorbike. Still think you can &quot;outdrive me&quot;, &quot;out maneuver&quot; and &quot;out park&quot; me in your truck? :rolleyes:

Read up for all the stories where people talk about others not merging well. It's usually women. Women typically drive &quot;scared&quot;, and that's no mental state to be in when merging. Call me sexist, but that's just what I've noticed.

For me, it's ussually an older import where the driver is so short they can barely see over the steering wheel.

I'd suggest that this is more of an ethnic thing, but I don't want to be called racist.

nadroj23
10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by al-ti2d
this isn't really about yeilding at merges but i hate it when the fukkers in the other lane speed up just so that the other car in the merge lane can't have the chance to come in... assholes i tell you!

the only time i speed up is when i see the person in the merge lane not goin fast enough......im one of those people that look at the merge to see if any cars are comin, perfect example comin off of 16th ave onto 14th street. to me one of the worst places for this to happen. i look over my shoulder to make sure there are no cars, if there are i see how fast they are goin and if it is goin to cause me to slow down ill speed up and get infront of that person if the person is goin the same speed i will break and let them in with ease, no problems. I try to be a curtious driver when on the road but sometimes it just doesnt work out that way.

creeper
10-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
[B]AND when ppl ATTEMPT to merge they dont get enough speed to merge. and then 99% of the time the on coming taffic will NOT slow down to let the dumbass thats going 30 in the merge lane in, when the oncoming person is already doing 80ish.
im not saying they have to be doing exact same speed as me so that i dont have to brake, no. but at least do something faster than 30? please?

bingo.

fucking people should speed the hell up.