PDA

View Full Version : Question about Civic SI's

al-ti2d
09-29-2006, 12:07 AM
I have a quick question about the different generations of Honda Civic SI's. All of you who have plenty of knowledge about these cars, can you guys please explain to me the differences between the different year models and what types of engines that came in them?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into potentially buying a Honda Civic as my new car... I looked at one today and the dealership told me it was a 1999 Honda Civic SI... I looked at the back and the badges read "SI" and all... but that could be just a fake badge that the previous owner bought over Ebay or something. The reason I was sketchy about the car being an actual SI was because I was always under the impression that civic SI's all came with the b16a engine, yet when I looked under the hood of the car I test drove today.. it didn't look anything like a b16. I did some quick googling and I'm pretty sure that the engine that I saw under that hood was a d16 engine... I just need some clarification from some experts now, because I really don't know if I should believe that the car I looked at was indeed an SI? Is the year of the car just off and it really is an older SI that came with the d16 stock.. or is this just a knock-off?

WWJAI
09-29-2006, 12:23 AM
The SI's in Canada came with a d16y8 engine around 127 hp..the si in the united states are considered sir's in canada and those have the b16 engines in. The 99 si has a sunroof, and basically all the options..most likely the car you were looking at was a real Si.

al-ti2d
09-29-2006, 12:25 AM
yea the car i test drove today had a sunroof and came fully loaded with power options except for some odd reason the salesman told me there was no A/C lol. Thanks for the clarification WWJAI!

WWJAI
09-29-2006, 12:34 AM
^ i'm not positive but i think the si's came with a/c as well. but might have been an option i guess. just to clarify as well its a sohc vtec engine.

al-ti2d
09-29-2006, 12:35 AM
^ i don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing man..? haha. I'm a real newb when it comes to cars and their engines :(

00CivicSi
09-29-2006, 01:10 AM
There should be AC if it was a 99 si. The salesman's probaly was to dumb to know. I've been searching for more civic's and you'd be surprised how dumb some of these guys are. One Civic Si I looked at had hubcaps and he was like yeah it comes with 7 spoke allow rims. Most likely he did he research online and read american stuff. What your looking at is most likely an Si model but I guess there is no sure way to tell. Get the VIN and get someone to carfax it and that might be a better solution to yer problem.

hoamic11
09-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Si or Si-G, has body color'd mirrors, as well has heated mirrors at that. Most of the Si's came factory with a/c but in fact it was an option. The Si also came factory with a front sway bar (22mm i think) and 14' wheels, speed cluster includes a tach, where the cx/dx did not.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Si's did not come with A/C stock (due to weight reduction/performance) but it WAS an option... They came with sunroof, power mirrors/locks/windows. Cruise control, airbags. Pretty much fully loaded. Came with a d16y8 (1.6L SOHC Vtec)

The only 99 Si I've seen in person is black... so of course the mirrors are painted the same color... I know on my gen of Si they aren't painted.

The Si cluster we're 3 main ones. Left was tach, middle was speed, right was temp/fuel.

hoamic11
09-29-2006, 10:49 AM
yeah it's true, and i know it's an option, however most of them that i have seen, came with it,

al-ti2d
09-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Si's did not come with A/C stock (due to weight reduction/performance) but it WAS an option... They came with sunroof, power mirrors/locks/windows. Cruise control, airbags. Pretty much fully loaded. Came with a d16y8 (1.6L SOHC Vtec)

The only 99 Si I've seen in person is black... so of course the mirrors are painted the same color... I know on my gen of Si they aren't painted.

The Si cluster we're 3 main ones. Left was tach, middle was speed, right was temp/fuel.

Yea, this pretty much cleared up any doubt I had about the car being an actual SI haha.. thanks for the info guys!