PDA

View Full Version : Does this look right? (clutch)

schurchill39
09-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Background:
I went to napa and told them I needed a clutch for a 1988 Mazda RX-7 NON TURBO. They looked it up in their computer said they had one in so I bought it. Upon swaping my transmission we realised that this was not the proper clutch at all, there were to many splines(teeth) and it was a couple cm bigger. It sucks that we found this out after we took the tranny and old clutch off.

I took it back and ordered a new one (with my now unbalanced pressure plate in my car). They looked it up in their computer and said this was the right clutch and that I was wrong. I made them look it up in their book and they realised their computer had the numbers backwards. They originally had ordered the TURBO model clutch. So the correct one was ordered out of calgary. I went in the next day to pick it up and when I got there I opened up the box and realised that 3 of the 5 pieces that come in ther kit were missing. The kit had the clutch disk and the pressure plate but no release bearing, pilot bearing or alignment tool like the first one had. I did not accept it and had them order a third one.

Today I picked up the third clutch and this one looked alot different from the others. Where the other clutchs springs this has ruber things and It is missing 2 of them on opposit sides. I am also missing the pilot bearing but I am so feed up with them that I am not going to bother complaining about that unless this clutch is wrong.

Question:
Does this clutch disk look right? I dont know much about clutchs but the other 2 (and the one in my car) had springs as opposed to these rubber things and all the holes had something in them where as this one has 2 missing rubbers. Also the pressure plate looks like it could of been rebuilt. The first one I got looked alot cleaner than this one. I payed for a new one so I just want to be sure.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/schurchill39/100_0620.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/schurchill39/100_0621.jpg

(Coles notes: I think I might of been given the wrong clutch for the 3rd time by napa and I just want to make sure this looks right. This is the last time I shop there, their customer service and knowledge were horrible.)

Cheeze
09-29-2006, 05:08 PM
well, in 1 simple word....FUCK NAPA

That looks like the correct clutch disc, but its hard to tell. if the splines line up, its right "duh"

:D

those rubbers are springs, theyre just covered. If those two are missing, maybe its just in the design of the hub. many aftermarket parts makers tend to change things a little bit down the line.

Only one way to find out, put it in :clap:

good luck.

hollywood_35
10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
The way the clutch disk is, the rubbers are missing directly across from eachother, so you know it wont really affect the balance of it. Why didnt you just keep the clutch and pressure plate that they gave you when it was missing the bearings? They should still have it at the store, unless they shipped it off already. I know I haven't see a clutch like that before, all the one's I've dealt with have had uncovered springs in all the openings.

As for the pressure plate, it looks as new as you're going to get. If it was used you would know it. But being that they sell "affordable" parts, they usually take old parts and use the housing from them and add all new components. But yours looks like it's new. It's just unfinished, during manufacuting they didnt coat it so it looks used.

Napa isn't that great for parts for imports, they're more for domestic trucks and cars. Why didn't you go to PhAt BoIZZz and have them order you the wrong one?

Alpine Autowerks
10-03-2006, 06:45 PM
it should look like this