PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission on 1998 Honda Civic LX - need opinion/insight

civiclx98
09-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Okay, some of you may recognize me from another post, Bad Fuel.

I'm new to the posting business, and since this is my first car - 1998 Honda Civic LX 5 speed - I'm also new to driving stick, and Honda's.

My question is this, at times my gear selector (shifter) binds. In otherwords, it refuses to go into gear. It can and does happen in any gear, though not very often. The shifting isn't generally smooth from gear to gear, it's notchy. I've driven a few other cars with manual gear boxes and they're far smoother. Mine just feels rough at times, and as I mentioned earlier it sometimes refuses to go into a gear without a good, hard shove.

I don't think it's the clutch. The take up on the clutch (when it engages or disengages) is great. Very little wear on the clutch, and I never, ever hear any sort of grinding, nor do I feel it.

I'm thinking it may be the bushings in the shift linkage. Or perhaps the main shift arm is bent?

My gear changing mechanism is mechanically controlled (an arm from the base of the shifter leading into the tranny), versus the newer Civics being electro-hydraulic.

Has anyone had this experience before?

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Sounds like either your synchros, or just low on fluid... or a bad tranny... worst case scenario, you swap the tranny

hoamic11
10-01-2006, 11:07 AM
^+1,

I'd say check the tranny fluid and see, if it's been in there to long or never changed then it would be a good time to do so.

HiSpec
10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
i want to check my tranny fluid as well. But my civic's drain and fill bolt seems to be seized, i cant' seem to loosen it...

zhulander
10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
It's most likely the last time somebody change the transmission fluid, they put in 10W30 motor oil. All parts places except for dealerships say it takes 10W30 but in reality it needs genuine Honda MTF.

It's the same thing with Honda auto trannies, parts places will say Dextron III but it needs Honda ATF, otherwise it'll come back weeks later with clunks.