PDA

View Full Version : Whos at fault?

spyce
09-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Ok so heres my story.

Today this afternoon I was heading home from downtown going up bow trail. I end up stopped on the bow trail hill at the sarcee trail set of lights. Im sitting there..and then the car in front of me moves up a good foot or so, so I thought I might as well move up a bit too. I drive a standard car. Right as I let off my break and begin to let the clutch out and gas it a bit I hear a thud. And I look in my rearview mirror and theres an Odyssey right behind me...great

So I get out of the car to look around and then lady driving the van comes out and starts bitching at me saying I was rolled so far back that I rolled into her car. And that she tried to honk me but she couldnt find her honk?:dunno: I ask her for her information and insurance papers. She refused to give them to me. And told me I was lucky I didnt do any damage to her vehicle and went back to her van to leave. I told her she wasnt going anywhere until I get information. And she refused again and said she didnt have it.

She then calls her husband over and I guess he was on a bike on the bike bath. So he comes over and tells me I need to learn how to drive my standard car and that it shouldnt matter that Im on a hill and that I rolled into her? So I thought that was a bunch of bs since as soon as I let off the gas I hear a thud? She must have been freakin close to me for that to happen. He then whips out his camera and starts taking pictures of my bumper and my liscence plate while Im on the phone with my dad figuring out how to handle this. He tells me to get out of the way of my car so he can take pictures and that Im just stalling things. He then takes a picture of me? Tells me he'll use this as proof to the cops if I wanna 'deal' with him like that. After about 15 more minutes of arguing they agree to let me follow them to their house and get the info I want since NEITHER of them had their wallets on them.

So I get to their house and she says I can get insurance info if I want and that she'll charge me with insurane fraud cuz apparently I rolled in to her! She finally leaves cuz she has an appointment I already made her 30 min late for. So he husband deals with me. Tells me I have their plate and thats good enough. It wasnt enough and I told him I wasnt leaving till I got the info I wanted.

After its all said and done though. Theres no damage to his car. But upon inspection of my car..I have some nice mini dents in the paint of my rear bumper. Which look like to be from the front licensce plate holder the van had. My question is...who is at fault?
Ive been driving standard ever since I got my license at 16 and know my abilities well enough to rarely have even a slight roll back when starting on a hill. If as soon as I let off the brake and added gas and I hear a thud, wasnt she too close to my bumper to begin with?

It has been such a frustrating day!:banghead: :banghead: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :guns: :guns:

Honda_002
09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Granted your standard skills are good enough I would say her fault. You are supposed to space yourself from the people in front of you for that very reason.

that my .02

ricosuave
09-30-2006, 10:19 PM
go file a police report NOW

Honda_002
09-30-2006, 10:22 PM
^ yeah no kidding, the way she handled the situation should give you some leverage in court if you decide to take that route. Btw when you said she didnt have her wallet and insurance papers on her, was that true or was she stalling, because thats quite the offence to drive without producing registration, liscense ect.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-30-2006, 10:37 PM
in the standard test you have play to roll back 6 inches, with out failing, so imagine its writen in the books that you arent supposed to be that close to someones bumper.

thank god BMW is starting to use technology to lock the brakes up just a hair to stop rollback.

That.Guy.S30
09-30-2006, 11:08 PM
i think shes at fault. your not supposed to be that close to the car ahead of you. i think your supposed to leave at least 1 meter. so even if you did roll back she was too close.

but then again i could be completly wrong lol.

Zero102
09-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Should have stayed there and called the cops.
She was driving without a license, and since she was such a bitch I would make sure she gets nailed for it.
That said, I would go file a police report right away, before she does. Even if you decide not to follow up with insurance, do this and cover your ass before she goes and claims for damage to her van.

guessboi
09-30-2006, 11:25 PM
her fault. :werd: but if it is just a dent, just get it pop out at DNT.

Cruz
09-30-2006, 11:36 PM
The vehicle in the rear is always at fault. The charge would be 'following too close'.

Without a doubt, she was way to close to your ass.

mucat
09-30-2006, 11:43 PM
You should stay at the scene until you have her information or call the cops. You should always have a camera in your car. I think you got scam now.

File your police report NOW!!!

Dooms_Bane
09-30-2006, 11:46 PM
no matter what unless your had reverse lights on.....
it's her fault

spyce
09-30-2006, 11:50 PM
No she did not have anything on her at the time. Thats why I had to follow her to her house to get the information.

And after reading all your response I thought the same too. She was behind me..and obviously did not leave enough room. I guess looking back I should have called the cops right then and there. But this was sorta my first time ever having to deal with something like this and all I really wanted in the end was her information which she continually refused to give me.

Im going first thing tomorrow to the police to file a report. She claims she'll put an ad in the newspaper about the incident and get she'll have her witnesses that will come forth and say I rolled back into her? :rolleyes:

It was such a frustrating time. That..and because it was holding up the traffic on bow trail.

Makariri
09-30-2006, 11:51 PM
^ :werd:

Her fault by default

BlackArcher101
09-30-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by spyce
I guess looking back I should have called the cops right then and there. But this was sorta my first time ever having to deal with something like this and all I really wanted in the end was her information which she continually refused to give me.

It was such a frustrating time. That..and because it was holding up the traffic on bow trail.

The police wouldn't have come out since the damage wasn't great enough, and also since the vehicles were driveable.

This is a peeve of mine. People who decide to swap insurance info after a minor fender bender right in the lane where it happened. Move vehicles off the road, perhaps a parking lot... THEN exchange info. :whipped:

That.Guy.S30
09-30-2006, 11:57 PM
She claims she'll put an ad in the newspaper about the incident and get she'll have her witnesses that will come forth and say I rolled back into her? :rolleyes:

haha let her try. what is she going to say, that you rolled back 4 feet? hahahaahaha

Bushy
09-30-2006, 11:58 PM
should have called the cops to the scene. they may have fined her for not having her license and ins info. But you are required to leave sufficient space when stopped behind a vehicle, so id get a police report right away, get and estimate and call her insurance company and make a demand for damages. Then her company will investigate and see if they have a chance. if they know they wont win in court, they will propably pay out. Hopefully

bluetek
10-01-2006, 12:17 AM
From all that you have said It really sounds like she has been through this process before. I think they are trying to scacre you into not doing anything and leaving things alone. I think the best is to file a police report and see what you can do from there. Sounds like the people you are dealing with are real jerks!! I hope everything works out and they get whats coming to them.

p.s- what kinda car were you driving?

spyce
10-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by bluetek
From all that you have said It really sounds like she has been through this process before. I think they are trying to scacre you into not doing anything and leaving things alone. I think the best is to file a police report and see what you can do from there. Sounds like the people you are dealing with are real jerks!! I hope everything works out and they get whats coming to them.

p.s- what kinda car were you driving?

an is250 and i just had the rear bumper repainted just 2 months ago so it hurts to think that i might have to bring it in to a shop again!

mucat
10-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

The police wouldn't have come out since the damage wasn't great enough, and also since the vehicles were driveable.

This is a peeve of mine. People who decide to swap insurance info after a minor fender bender right in the lane where it happened. Move vehicles off the road, perhaps a parking lot... THEN exchange info. :whipped:

The cops might come because she was either drive without insurance and/or license and/or refuse to produce those information after an accident. Also, take pics before moves the cars, very important. If she just went away it is even better, it became hit-and-run.

asuth077
10-01-2006, 02:01 AM
You can even write your report in advance and date it, then just sign it there when you hand it in.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-01-2006, 04:01 AM
I've always heard that if you roll back into someone, as long as its not like 5 ft away, it's their fault for not giving you enough room... Whenever i'm on a hill i always let the person see me roll back a bit so they know i'm standard, especially on hills like the one for 16thave just after deerfoot (eastbound)

MrPid
10-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Definitely her fault...will be dealt with the same as a low impact collision with her following to close (essentially what it is). She might be up for a ticket. Make sure you file police report. If you're willing to pay your deductible and wait to get it back, tell your insurance company and get it fixed...then your insurance co. and her insurance co. will batte it out but hers won't waste any time on it - they will just pay it out to yours.

From the way you described her and her husbands evasive behavior, it shouldn't surprise you that they have dealt with this type of situation in the past - good chance they have a history of it and they may have even found the best way to beat the system. Do NOT trust them. If it comes down to a situation where they are going to pay the damages then make sure that they contract directly with the bodyshop to pay the bill and not to pay you to pay the bodyshop...

Don't buy into her threats. It's bullshit through and through. Don't be intimidated either. You've done nothing wrong. Just remain cool and calm and let her spew.

pinoyhero
10-01-2006, 08:24 AM
^ Well put, no point in getting into an argument, just be the level headed one and you'll be fine. No doubt it was her fault IMO

azndragon1234
10-01-2006, 08:47 AM
THIS EXACT thing happened to me, i was near this high school, and i was stopped at a red light. A old guy driving a nice SAAB some how bumped into my rear bumper. I did release my brakes, but the ground was pretty level. And im pretty sure i wasnt rolling back, and the old guy just some how bumped into my car. i couldnt really even feel the impact, just heard a lil thump and i looked back to find that a nice saab is kissing my ass, haha. The old guy was pretty old...haha and he had troubles getting into and out of his car. so im guessing he couldnt see or drive very well and ended up hitting my car. so i just let him go and no file was claim or money was taken.

khtm
10-01-2006, 09:08 AM
What a bitch...

I'm interested to hear what the beyond police think about this? Like would cops actually show up if you called and said she didn't have her license or registration?

ashee
10-01-2006, 09:19 AM
By the sounds of it I wouldn't be suprised if they either A. don't have insurance or B. have a bad rep. with their company. What frigging idiots. You're suppose to at least be able to see the tires of the person you stop behind. Person from behind is always at fault. You're pretty "brave" for following them to their house, that's a little sketchy to do IMO.

nusneak
10-01-2006, 09:41 AM
She is at fault for 1.) not leaving proper space between her car and the car in front of her
2.) not producing (dl/insurance)
You could not be any less at fault

Kaos
10-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Cruz
The vehicle in the rear is always at fault. The charge would be 'following too close'.

Without a doubt, she was way to close to your ass.

+1

People should really go back to driving school. Gauranteed anyone that would take the test again would fail.
Your supposed to leave enough room to basically fit a frickin civic hatchback.

Go file a report. :thumbsup:

DADDY-O
10-01-2006, 09:58 AM
The onus is on her to prove that you rolled back into her. Only way she can do that is if there was any independent witnesses. Her Husband does not count as he was not there! Fact of the matter is she was directly behind you and you were both in the same lane and direction it would be classified a rear end accident and she's at fault.

Vietsta
10-01-2006, 10:10 AM
can't you get her in crap becuase she refused to give her info to you? and at that time she never had her info on her

sh0ko
10-01-2006, 10:19 AM
the vehicle in the rear is NOT always at fault.. but thats the rare 1% case.. 99% of ppl who smoke u from behind or like yours will be her ass on a platter..look at my accident in a parking lot.. ppl were teliling me its gonna be 50/50 till the insurance comapny realized he hit me from behind and then he was at 100% fault

403Gemini
10-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Heh if i was your adjuster on this, id fight tooth and nail for you bud, but in reality ive seen it swing both ways. Ive seen it where the person driving the standard was at fault because the cop deemed they werent able to drive the vehicle well enough, and ive seen it where the person behind was considered to be following too close. In reality, she basically has to keep enough room between you and her that if somebody was speeding up the hill and wasnt stopping she should have enough space to turn away.

Sounds like she didnt leave the gap, so like i said, id fight the hell out of this one.

SilverBoost
10-01-2006, 11:18 AM
There's no debate here. She prob as in such a hurry that the second your car budged she moved - right into you.

No papers? Fuck her. And you should have called the Police and told them there was a bitch trying to leave the scene of an accident.

Her husband? Tell him to fuck himself and go back and play on his bike. He wasn't there, he means nothing.

Taking and Ad out in the paper? haha... just make sure she spells your name right. Then laff at her stupid logic.

NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the scene of an accident without the information you require. And for God sakes never follow a person to their house. You don't know these people.

If you haven't already, file the police report NOW.

And to the guy who got hit by the old man and let him go, bad move I gotta say. I don't feel bad one bit for calling in a guy who shouldn't be behind the wheel of a 3000 lb wrecking ball. He could have left that accident and then gone a wiped out a bunch of kids on a playground. People who can't drive shoudln't be on the road and I don't feel bad for being the person who gets them removed. You should be tested every few years once you get to a certain age. I'd do it now to keep those people off the road.

403Gemini
10-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
There's no debate here. She prob as in such a hurry that the second your car budged she moved - right into you.

No papers? Fuck her. And you should have called the Police and told them there was a bitch trying to leave the scene of an accident.

Her husband? Tell him to fuck himself and go back and play on his bike. He wasn't there, he means nothing.

Taking and Ad out in the paper? haha... just make sure she spells your name right. Then laff at her stupid logic.

NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the scene of an accident without the information you require. And for God sakes never follow a person to their house. You don't know these people.

And to the guy who got hit by the old man and let him go, bad move I gotta say. I don't feel bad one bit for calling in a guy who shouldn't be behind the wheel of a 3000 lb wrecking ball. He could have left that accident and then gone a wiped out a bunch of kids on a playground. People who can't drive shoudln't be on the road and I don't feel bad for being the person who gets them removed. You should be tested every few years once you get to a certain age. I'd do it now to keep those people off the road.

well said. Realistically she shouldnt have left, it doesnt matter if her appointment was seeing the second coming of christ, report EVERYTHING to the police and have them attend the scene.

If she couldnt have produced a proper liscence that would be a ticket for her and also kills her creditability quite a bit. What was she saying about insurance fraud? I wasnt aware the public could make such claims against one another lol.

and silver boost is right, i woulda told the husband to fuck off. he wasnt at the scene so he cant have any opinion about it.

barbarian
10-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Back when I took driving school, the instructor said the appropriate call when the other driver has no papers is 911, as the car may be stolen.

In any case, both driver's have a right to see each other's papers and license, regardless of fault. I bet their insurance is expiry due to non-pay or something.

If her husband was on the bike path, she was probably looking at the path and not the road as she was picking him up.

88CRXGUY
10-01-2006, 12:16 PM
She was in the wrong, she didn't have any insurance proof etc, in which driving without a license is illegal. She failed to provide the right information at the sence of an accident, she is in the wrong again there. Also she left the sence of an accident still not providing information, hit and run.

When it comes to sitting behind someone at a stop light, 4 eay intersection etc the car that is behind has to be far enough back to see the bottom of your tires on the ground. If they are unable to see the bottom of your tires they are too close. Since that she was driving a van more than likely shw was way too close.

Did you happen to get any witinesses, she said that she got some but did you actually see people come up and talk to them after the accident happened. From what it seems she didn't have time to talk to anyone else, she was taking pictures.

Yeah make a police report, it does seems like that this has happened to them before. I wouldn't be surprised if they have tired to screw over other people that she hit.

sh0ko
10-01-2006, 12:35 PM
best of luck to you my friend... all in all ppl are fucking idiots in cars and 2.4l says it best... idiots dont appreciate a nice car plain and simple ... fight your ass off ur gonna win

AzN'SKillZ
10-01-2006, 02:58 PM
she is 100% at fault! enlesss she could find a witness that could prove u rolled back to much, and she was a safe distance from u wen she stopped at the light.

i would be scared that she might get a friend to pose as a witness.

fast95pony
10-01-2006, 04:27 PM

Exactly !

On a side note : I always engage my handbrake when stopped.
When pulling away ,I increase the rpms ,ease the clutch out and release the hand brake as the clutch grabs.I was taught this 25 odd years ago . No roll back,ever.. I guess they don't teach this any more ?? I see so many standard cars roll back on even small hills. Messy,untidy driving.

creeper
10-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Should have stayed there and called the cops.
She was driving without a license, and since she was such a bitch I would make sure she gets nailed for it.
That said, I would go file a police report right away, before she does. Even if you decide not to follow up with insurance, do this and cover your ass before she goes and claims for damage to her van.

:werd:

Nail this fucking bitch to the cross, buddy.

khtm
10-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony

Exactly !

On a side note : I always engage my handbrake when stopped.
When pulling away ,I increase the rpms ,ease the clutch out and release the hand brake as the clutch grabs.I was taught this 25 odd years ago . No roll back,ever.. I guess they don't teach this any more ?? I see so many standard cars roll back on even small hills. Messy,untidy driving.
What if you have to move really quickly? Like if you're at the front of the line in an intersection and you see a car coming towards you out of control? Or if you see someone coming up way too fast from behind and they're bound to rear-end you? Now you need to disengage the e-brake before you move out of danger.

I strongly DO NOT recommend having an e-brake on while waiting for a light or stop sign. If you've ever taken a motorbike course they teach you to always be ready to move if you have to...obviously not as important in a car but still somewhat.

Just my $0.02. I put my safety above having "messy, untidy" driving skills ;)

Dayclone
10-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeh I was taught standard too and when your on a hill it's good to pull the E-brake so you don't roll back and hit the other persons car. Keep in mind they taught me this while I was over in England.... over here it's different in some the rules but yeh. It's her fault I believe cause she didn't have the correct following distance.

Steve

NGRPLZ.NET
10-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Fools, ride the clutch! I remember practicing holding the car at a stop on a hill with just the clutch. Probably not good over the long run, but it made me feel like the ultimate supreme handler of all things standard.

l8braker
10-01-2006, 07:00 PM
file a report. do not take shit from those people.

spyce
10-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Yea Im going tomorrow afternoon to do it after talking to my insurance company. I was really busy this weekend with moving in to a new house and some school work that needed to be done.

Ill let you know how it goes after tomorrow

quikkoop
10-01-2006, 11:33 PM
When I learnt standard, I was taught the friction point of the clutch. Really like this method as there is no roll back, and easy to get the car going. Also, this method is very easy to learn, eaasy to feel, just EASY!

Good luck with the bull crap this odd couple has put you in!People in this city, who understands them?:rolleyes:

nonsane
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
In that situation if they refused to give information i would have said either give the information, If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide. Or you can leave and i call the police for hit and run.

I would not have followed them to their house either.

fast95pony
10-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by khtm

What if you have to move really quickly? Like if you're at the front of the line in an intersection and you see a car coming towards you out of control? Or if you see someone coming up way too fast from behind and they're bound to rear-end you? Now you need to disengage the e-brake before you move out of danger.

I strongly DO NOT recommend having an e-brake on while waiting for a light or stop sign. If you've ever taken a motorbike course they teach you to always be ready to move if you have to...obviously not as important in a car but still somewhat.

Just my $0.02. I put my safety above having "messy, untidy" driving skills ;)

Well , in 25+ years and 500,000+ kms of driving I've never been hit by an out of control car coming at me at an intersection or been rear ended.

I've never had to replace a clutch either..
Riding the clutch is poor driving.

Driving a motorbike is a totally different animal.

spyce
10-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Alright so heres the update. I finally dealt with the cops today to file a report about the accident. I had to work so I was transfered from the 17th ave location and had to call a number where a patrol car would come and check out my car and one car would go to the other party's house to get their statement. When the cop got in contact with me on my cell phone I could already tell he was in a pissy mood because he didnt know why the original location didnt just handle my situation.

So a cop car arrives at where I was working this evening. So they arrive and dont get out of the car. I wait 5 minutes or so thinking they're just getting papers or somethin ready. I remembered I left all my information in my car so I start walking towards my car to grab it. He calls me on my cell to tell me they are right behind me :rolleyes: In a tone as if I was an idiot and didnt see them.

I give them my information and everything and asked me what happened. Gives me a report to fill out and checks out my car. I show him where the crease is in my bumper and he just stands there. 'I cant see anything'. Then is all huffy and puffy when he finally sees it and says it doesnt look like anything big. Proceeds to tell me that 'I dont know what kind of work you are doing to get that car but if I were you I wouldnt pursue this' Like wtf...who are you to make judgements about me? If you think Im dealing drugs then why not just say it... :whipped: :banghead:

Him and his partner were really rude. Just running over the details I gave them and then he leaves saying that I can pick up my sticker on Monday and what not. Calls me 30 min later telling me he got in contact with the other party and that I better be straight with my story because the lady claims I am attempting insurance fraud and etc. And that he thinks it seems I was difficult in handling the situation cuz I was refusing them to let the husband take pictures of my car. Why would I let them do shit when they wouldnt give me their information or anything. Thanks a lot :rolleyes: It seemed pretty apparent to me that I had disturbed his coffee break or that he thinks Im a punk adult or something. At the end of it he told me I better hope my insurance premium doesnt go up if the other party by chance wins.

Anyways...Im just gonna let my insurance deal with it. Im sick of having to deal with the other party..or the cop in charge of my case. :whocares: :dunno: :banghead:

mucat
10-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by mucat
You should stay at the scene until you have her information or call the cops. You should always have a camera in your car. I think you got scam now.

File your police report NOW!!!

Told you. Hey, I am quoting myself....
Told you.

dansmith11
10-13-2006, 04:03 AM
i didnt think you could even file a police report if the damage was less then 1000 ?

heinz256
10-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Alright so heres the update. I finally dealt with the cops today to file a report about the accident. I had to work so I was transfered from the 17th ave location and had to call a number where a patrol car would come and check out my car and one car would go to the other party's house to get their statement. When the cop got in contact with me on my cell phone I could already tell he was in a pissy mood because he didnt know why the original location didnt just handle my situation.

So a cop car arrives at where I was working this evening. So they arrive and dont get out of the car. I wait 5 minutes or so thinking they're just getting papers or somethin ready. I remembered I left all my information in my car so I start walking towards my car to grab it. He calls me on my cell to tell me they are right behind me :rolleyes: In a tone as if I was an idiot and didnt see them.

I give them my information and everything and asked me what happened. Gives me a report to fill out and checks out my car. I show him where the crease is in my bumper and he just stands there. 'I cant see anything'. Then is all huffy and puffy when he finally sees it and says it doesnt look like anything big. Proceeds to tell me that 'I dont know what kind of work you are doing to get that car but if I were you I wouldnt pursue this' Like wtf...who are you to make judgements about me? If you think Im dealing drugs then why not just say it... :whipped: :banghead:

Him and his partner were really rude. Just running over the details I gave them and then he leaves saying that I can pick up my sticker on Monday and what not. Calls me 30 min later telling me he got in contact with the other party and that I better be straight with my story because the lady claims I am attempting insurance fraud and etc. And that he thinks it seems I was difficult in handling the situation cuz I was refusing them to let the husband take pictures of my car. Why would I let them do shit when they wouldnt give me their information or anything. Thanks a lot :rolleyes: It seemed pretty apparent to me that I had disturbed his coffee break or that he thinks Im a punk adult or something. At the end of it he told me I better hope my insurance premium doesnt go up if the other party by chance wins.

Anyways...Im just gonna let my insurance deal with it. Im sick of having to deal with the other party..or the cop in charge of my case. :whocares: :dunno: :banghead:

Wow, wuta bunch of fcukin pigs:banghead: :banghead:

khtm
10-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony

Well , in 25+ years and 500,000+ kms of driving I've never been hit by an out of control car coming at me at an intersection or been rear ended.
Well you're a lucky dude. There's probably 2 threads a week on here from people getting rear-ended. And it's only going to get worse now that everybody and their dog drives their automatic SUVs while drinking coffee and talking on a cell phone. :thumbsdow

mucat
10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by dansmith11
i didnt think you could even file a police report if the damage was less then 1000 ?

But he can file a report if she can't produce her insurance and liscense at the scene of accident.

BTW, those police are completely rude in this case I think. Who is the victim here anyway?

I would suggest you talk to the cops again, not the same ones you talked to, different ones.

TrevorK
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM

The only reason to get the police involved is because you need the police report. Which is the right move, good job on doing something most people wouldn't.

Don't worry about it - the insurance company deals with it and in reality, the cop has no input on the matter unless they were physically present or tickets were issued. Let the insurance company do their job - don't even communicate with the other party.

If the other party attempts to call you (As I assume they have some of your info) tell them that they can direct any inquiries to your insurance company. Any further attempt to contact you will be considered harassment and you will seek the advice of your lawyer. (Although not technically true it sets the tone for the discussion) Then say "Thanks. Good bye."

It's a pet peeve of mine - people who feel they have a right to go around the system (And try to settle without insurance). I would have to be in complete trust of a person to settle without insurance when it's their fault, because I'm the only one with something to lose.

WWJAI
10-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK

The only reason to get the police involved is because you need the police report. Which is the right move, good job on doing something most people wouldn't.

It's a pet peeve of mine - people who feel they have a right to go around the system (And try to settle without insurance). I would have to be in complete trust of a person to settle without insurance when it's their fault, because I'm the only one with something to lose.

I'm not sure how it's like in Edmonton but most people in Calgary would file a police report if they were involved in an accident. Just to cover their own ass.

I myself as well wouldn't try to settle without insurance (unless it was very slight damage) because of trust issues. I would require a deposit right on the spot or i'd call up the insurance company right away. But if it were me who hit someone and if the damage wasn't too bad, i'd offer to give money right away..haha.

Traffic_Cop
10-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Should have called the Police the second they refused to give the info. Thats what we are here for, calling your dad can only add fuel to the fire.

Although the Police wouldnt be overly impressed about coming out to such a minor incident, if documents are not being produced theres normally a good reason.

The accident can easily be figured out by the way the stiration marks have been left on your bumper. If the scratches face down you rolled into her, if they are up she rolled into you.

Next time call the Police.

Zero102
10-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I hate to say it, but you should have gone in to a police station.
They had to come to you and that is why you got such a poor response. Every single time the cops have had to come out I have been treated very badly. Every time I went to them they were very nice.
If you go in in the mid-morning/early afternoon to a station, the person at the desk is usually bored out of their mind and is more than happy to have somebody interesting come in.

spyce
10-15-2006, 01:54 AM
I did go to the police station. And then he wrote his name down on a card and told me to call this number and tell them my situation, which would involve a cop car being sent to where I choose to stay over an extended period of time.

So I dont know what was going on with that particular part..but no biggy I guess. Just had to deal with rude officers for 15 minutes.:dunno:

msommers
10-15-2006, 02:56 AM

100% agree. So many terrible drivers on the road. You go to some shaddy place to do your driver's test and BAM you have a license. Should be fine to take your driving school through anywhere, but when it comes time to get your license, AMA or someone from the registry should be grading you. It would safv a bunch of BS happening on the roads all the time.

Other people have already mentioned things on the situation, never leave, at least grab their plate number if anything and don't follow anyone to their house!

Don't sit in the middle of traffic either. Pull off to the side or a parking lot. Obviously you get out to check the damage, always have a paper and pen in your car!! Get the license plate, model and make first. Then work on insurance and other information. If they decide to take off, it's a hit and run, but being a smart person you are, have their info already. You are then a victim of crime and they are subject to getting charged.

Don't get anything fixed, take pictures of your bumper, file a police report and let your insurance company know the situation. Let us know how it works out.

soupey
10-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by msommers

... You go to some shaddy place ...

you could also shaddy your pants, haha its SHADY

get it right... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shady

zieg
10-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, nail her. You can even use the fact that she was late for an appointment as evidence she might have been in such a rush that as soon as she saw you budge, she jumped it.