PDA

View Full Version : best way to do passable band recordings in a house

b_t
10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Alright me and some guys have got a bit of a band together and we want to record some stuff, but we are trying to figure out the best way to get a passable recording on a budget in a basement.

doesn't need to be hi-fi, pro sounding... just good enough so you can hear all the instruments without it distorting and with enough clarity to tell what we are playing.

any suggestions?

ZorroAMG
10-01-2006, 10:59 PM
What about some soundproofing? Not ghetto like in Hustle & Flow using mcdonalds drink trays, but something of the sort...maybe insulation..can be bought for cheap and put on the walls with small nails or thumb tacks

legendboy
10-02-2006, 08:23 AM
from my limited basement recording experience:

each guy must have his own mic, running to a reasonably decent mixer

possibly a preamp might be depending

recording to pc, using a half decent card and software

this is the one i have, and we were using

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14065

it also might be nice for each guy to have his own fabric partition wall (like thoes ones they use to have in school), to help with cross pickup and to isolate the drums a bit, but then you can't see eachother! lol

my basement walls arn't insulated for sound but like zorro suggested, that may solve alot of problems

kerry
10-03-2006, 01:09 AM
b_t

First get good... then try recording =) =)

But seriously,

get a copy of Cubase, Nuendo, Protools, or something
like that.

Then practice your songs until you have them DIALED.

Goto Long and McQuade, rent some drum mics, and either
a Pod if you're lazy or SM57 if you have time to learn how
to master lol. This won't cost very much at all, oh yeah get
a mixer too lol.

Do a drum track with him listening to a guitar VIA headphones.
Then track everything in after that one by one.
It won't be STELLAR but it sure won't suck either.

b_t
10-03-2006, 08:07 AM
It doesn't need to be stellar, if the production sucks, we can say its the old school thrash metal style recording :D

and I'm already better then I was at the first and second jam sessions.. in my opinion, anyway. :clap:

badseed
10-04-2006, 03:35 PM
I have a buddy who records alot of basement bands, he as alot of equipment. Everything necessray.

If your interestd PM me, I can definetly ask him how much, etc.

By the way this is his band

www.passadoband.com

b_t
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM
We don't want some guy we need to call up and book in advance, we just want the flexibility of being able to record at the drop of hat when we feel like it...

modded46
10-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I was going to say you'd be a lot better off renting a space for a few hours from a place like Slaughterhouse cause honestly you'll put a ton of money into trying to make it sound good and it still won't work well. If you're going to do that.. Set up a mic in the corner and just have everyone play.