PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on gym membership...

HiSpec
10-01-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm planning to purchase a gym membership. At the moment I am considering between these 2 facilities: Crowfoot YMCA and Northland Golds Gym. Why these two? Because they are very close to my house haha...

Now this is my first gym membership, so i don't really know what to base my decision on. So here is where you guys/girls come in. I would like any pros/cons and suggestions for any gym facilities that you have experienced or experiencing so it would make my decision easier :D

Thanks!!

kaput
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM

AllGoNoShow
10-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Used to work at Golds and Used to have a YMCA membership.

Go with Golds.

Northland locaiton is ehad office or something for Canada, new equipment every 6 months or so. Nice machines, lots of room, great atmosphere, juice bar.

Just don't work there ;)

stevieo
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
i'm at golds, I like the staff, they are nice people.

I used to work out at world health club and let me tell you, I think the employees there are fucking jerks.
You walk in, scan your card, you don't even get greeted. IMO its not much to some people but to me, small things matter when it comes to customer service.

One day I went to Gold's gym to check it out to see what its like, and they were very kind, answered all my questions and were very polite and knowledgable. So I joined gold's gym then and there.

if you decide to goto gold's gym in northland or whatever, let me know haha, I need a referal (Not for money or anything, I just need to lock my contract down. all my friends and family signed up before me so I couldn't use them as a referal ;) )

thinmyster
10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
i'm at golds, I like the staff, they are nice people.

I used to work out at world health club and let me tell you, I think the employees there are fucking jerks.
You walk in, scan your card, you don't even get greeted. IMO its not much to some people but to me, small things matter when it comes to customer service.

One day I went to Gold's gym to check it out to see what its like, and they were very kind, answered all my questions and were very polite and knowledgable. So I joined gold's gym then and there.

if you decide to goto gold's gym in northland or whatever, let me know haha, I need a referal (Not for money or anything, I just need to lock my contract down. all my friends and family signed up before me so I couldn't use them as a referal ;) )

Werd I live in the tuscany and i still go to a gym off elbow and southland mainly cause of the people there

AllGoNoShow
10-01-2006, 08:55 PM
steveio pm me your name... Me and 3 buddies looking for memberships this winter and will probably be goign to Golds, wHC screwed over one of my buddies so we aint going there.

Too bad Leah isn't there to sign me up anymore :( ;)

ashee
10-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Go to Gold's my cousin works out there he seems to think it's a great gym.

HiSpec
10-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
steveio pm me your name... Me and 3 buddies looking for memberships this winter and will probably be goign to Golds, wHC screwed over one of my buddies so we aint going there.

same here steveio... i'll refer u too... but when i have decided where to go...
so far majority of ppl recommend Golds Gym...

also, how helpful is their staffs? I will be needing an advisor on building me a routine.

Palmiros
10-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I'd say go to Crowfoot YMCA. From previous experience, they have friendly staff, enough space to conduct all your activities, planners, and they upgrade their equipment pretty often. Relaxed atmosphere, as far as working out is concerned. I've used it for several months, and was happy with everything. Summer time came, went on vacation, now that I am back, I will head back there, prolly starting tomorrow.
Good luck to'ya.

Eken9
10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Like someone said above, just try all the gyms near you. They usually have 1 week access pass.

What I usually look for is the enviroment of the people that go to that gym. I've been to gyms where people are not the best. Eyeing you for no reason, trying to intimidate for no reason. Usually it's the smaller guys that do this? I dunno why. IE worst at SAIT gym. You know typical stuff. Just go to each place and see which one you like the best with the nicer people around.

stevieo
10-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

sure, but I am at Northland Golds, is that the one you going to?

Originally posted by HiSpec

also, how helpful is their staffs? I will be needing an advisor on building me a routine.

their staff is good, they have trainers there that are usually avaliable ( I Never asked for help so far, I'm not sure if they are pay per hr, type or deal or kind of like "Hey ya sure I'll help you out")

but I think its the owner, he is usually walking around talking to people, seeing how everyones exercise is going.

and let me know when you are gonna sign up if you do choose golds gym, I will send you my name.

Originally posted by Eken9
Like someone said above, just try all the gyms near you. They usually have 1 week access pass.

What I usually look for is the enviroment of the people that go to that gym. I've been to gyms where people are not the best. Eyeing you for no reason, trying to intimidate for no reason. Usually it's the smaller guys that do this? I dunno why. IE worst at SAIT gym. You know typical stuff. Just go to each place and see which one you like the best with the nicer people around.

comon alex, come golds gym with me and peter hahaha.

edit :

The only thing I wished Northlands Golds gym has is the water cooler. they only have water fountains. (I usually have a water bottle that I bring with me and its hard to fill it to the top)

~Leah~
10-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Talk to Justin...

And no offense but you won't get a lot of help unless you actually buy training, but there's a good deal for 3 sessions @ $149 if you buy that in your first week. And to train with Justin, I'd say it's completely worth it.

CCM Pro
10-20-2006, 02:12 AM
I was the number one sales rep for WHC in Edgemont for 2 years...if you want to know ANYTHING about WHC I would be happy to disclose all their secrets and crap....oh and in case you cant tell...i do not work there now and am PISSED off with them:guns:

Unknown303
10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
You should start a WHC Secrets thread so we can hear all you have to say.

stevieo
10-21-2006, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by CCM Pro
I was the number one sales rep for WHC in Edgemont for 2 years...if you want to know ANYTHING about WHC I would be happy to disclose all their secrets and crap....oh and in case you cant tell...i do not work there now and am PISSED off with them:guns:

please dude, let everyone know.

Horatio
10-21-2006, 08:04 AM
as another suggestion I've been using Ftiness Northwest in Silver Spings for the last year and I like it there. It's not as big and shiny as the Y or Golds but it has all the equipment i need and the atmosphere is pretty good. I got a pretty good rate because of a special they were offering around new years last year.

Probably going to try and find a gym in the NE I like due to work

Greg

CCM Pro
10-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
You should start a WHC Secrets thread so we can hear all you have to say.

NOt even sure where to begin...any questions fire away!