PDA

View Full Version : Help, I hit a tree

Sebas
10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I was driving my friend home from a movie turned right onto a road started accelarating and 3 kids ran out right infront of my car i swurved right hit the curb went over the curb and the back of my car hit a tree...... i do not have collision insurance on my car so my insurance is not covering it eventhough there was a witness who saw it happen that lives right across the street..... i bought my car just over a week ago its a 97 bmw 528i the 2 rims are garbage same with the control arms....and i dunno what else plus the body work quarter panel and back bumper so its gonna be pretty expensive to fix.... does anyone know if there is anywhere i can turn to for help :cry:

AE92_TreunoSC
10-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Affordable auto wrecking might be able to find some used control arms for you.

SilverBoost
10-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Witness doesn't matter. You choose to not have collision and risk it. Kids running out in front of you is why you get insurance. Because you can't sue the kids.

Having only liability means you will cover the cost of someon YOU hit, but for your own car you're SOL.

I know what it's like though to be young and trying to pay for full covreage. Even years ago for me rates were steep. Hopefully you'll get it worked out and back on the road.

Sebas
10-02-2006, 05:27 PM
yeah putting collision on my car would have pretty much doubled my insurance ......i got the estimate today from atlas autobody and it came to $8400 charging me $63/hour for bodywork and refinishing and $93.50/hour for mechanical is that a reasonable rate? also the estimate says the quarter panel needs to be replaced but one of the workers there told me they would be able to fix it so maybe i will take it somewhere else and see what they say.....anyone know of a good place?

gofastmerc
10-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Sebas
anyone know of a good place?

Anywhere but there.

Seach this site, brought up many times.

TurboMedic
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Don't goto coachworks either

Proboscis
10-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Carstar downtown:thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
10-03-2006, 08:40 AM
A-1 or Hallmark (Haulmark??) do nice work.

codetrap
10-03-2006, 08:47 AM

DepTrotter
10-03-2006, 08:58 AM
for $8400 you might as well buy a different bmw and sell that one for parts

good luck?

Thaco
10-03-2006, 09:22 AM
it seems you're not telling the whole story... for you to jump the curb, hit a tree and do that much damage you were probably exceeding the speed limit, if there were kids i'd assume it was a residential area which is 50, if not a playground zone at 30...

sounds like you'd be going more than 50 to do that much damage.

Sebas
10-03-2006, 11:48 AM
speed limit was 50 i was going about 60........ there is only 100k on the car so there is no way im selling it for parts.... there isnt that much damage on the car 2 control arms,a steering knuckle, but bmw wants like $800 for a bumper, $750 for the quarter panel plus $650 a rim so im gonna get some generic or used parts

lint
10-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
it seems you're not telling the whole story... for you to jump the curb, hit a tree and do that much damage you were probably exceeding the speed limit, if there were kids i'd assume it was a residential area which is 50, if not a playground zone at 30...

Kids only hang around playground zones, residential neighbourhoods or go where their parents tell them to? Making a lot of assumptions about a guy who just wants to know where he can take his car for repairs.

You know those popular VW commercials, with the collisions demonstrating how strong the cars are, were filmed at 30mph (~ 48kph). Plenty of damage can be done going the speed limit.

Thaco
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by lint

Kids only hang around playground zones, residential neighbourhoods or go where their parents tell them to? Making a lot of assumptions about a guy who just wants to know where he can take his car for repairs.

You know those popular VW commercials, with the collisions demonstrating how strong the cars are, were filmed at 30mph (~ 48kph). Plenty of damage can be done going the speed limit.

I don't see many kids playing on deerfoot...

It's not really the amount of damage that's excessive for the speed, but more of the fact that he lost control and obviously the rear end kicked out if he just damaged the rear quarter and stuff...

lint
10-03-2006, 01:31 PM

I don't see many kids playing on deerfoot...

It's not really the amount of damage that's excessive for the speed, but more of the fact that he lost control and obviously the rear end kicked out if he just damaged the rear quarter and stuff...

Who said anything about Deerfoot? You live up in the NE. Are you saying that you've never seen kids along 32 Ave, 52 St, 68 St? Cars go 60-70 on those roads all the time. Are they all playground zones? Nope. Fuck, in the NE there are more kids on the roads than there ever are IN the playgrounds anyways.

You skip a curb going 50km/h and see you much control you have over the back end.

whiskas
10-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Sebas
I was driving my friend home from a movie turned right onto a road started accelarating and 3 kids ran out right infront of my car i swurved right hit the curb went over the curb and the back of my car hit a tree...... i do not have collision insurance on my car so my insurance is not covering it eventhough there was a witness who saw it happen that lives right across the street..... i bought my car just over a week ago its a 97 bmw 528i the 2 rims are garbage same with the control arms....and i dunno what else plus the body work quarter panel and back bumper so its gonna be pretty expensive to fix.... does anyone know if there is anywhere i can turn to for help :cry:

You managed to write all that and not use a single period :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

You managed to write all that and not use a single period :thumbsup:

Well he did use "...." alot but your right, no "single" periods!

WWJAI
10-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by lint

Who said anything about Deerfoot? You live up in the NE. Are you saying that you've never seen kids along 32 Ave, 52 St, 68 St? Cars go 60-70 on those roads all the time. Are they all playground zones? Nope. Fuck, in the NE there are more kids on the roads than there ever are IN the playgrounds anyways.

You skip a curb going 50km/h and see you much control you have over the back end.

Very true. I drive on all these roads and there are kids on them all the time (night or day) and sometimes kids do just decide to be dumbasses and walk across the street without watchin out for cars.

Gravy_83
10-03-2006, 02:38 PM

wow your post sounded idiotic I caused 800$ to my civic going 25 kmh its all about what you hit and how. allmost a third of his cost is parts that can break easily. I bent back my control arms and pushed the wheel back into the fender which in turn pushed the fender in the door. all by not paying attention and hitting a cement curb and hoping it and getting stuck on a cement divider. so before you make assumptions let the guy ask for help and dončt accuse him of anything.

i got work done at a-1 when a kid in an explorer plowed into my car. got an estimate of like 2500 somewhere;s they did it for like 50% less

Sebas
10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
there was no sidewalk it was a curb and a tree like a foot away so i didnt have to be going very fast to hit the tree.....i managed to find a used bumper, quarter panel and rear body panel and bought 2 aftermarket control arms for $300 so thats saving me alot...... i thought A-1 was way more expensive than most body shops i guess ill give them a call, thanx for the advice

Myers
10-10-2006, 12:25 AM
lucky you didnt get a DUI.. shouldnt have driven

PrezeS_PL
10-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Proboscis
Carstar downtown:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: it could be bit more expensive

Cowtown_Raider
10-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey Sebas,
A really good buddy of mine is my mechanic and specializes in BMW and Mercedes. He's honest and will probably have cheaper rates than you'll find anywhere. PM me if you want to give him a call. He might even have access to some used parts.

marko polo
10-10-2006, 12:51 AM
i cant believe you dont have collsion insurance driving a BMW like that. like seriously seriously atleast buy collision insurance for the first couple months when getting a new car cause you never will know what will happen.

Team_Mclaren
10-10-2006, 01:03 AM
wow, for someone so young and bought a 97 5-series you would think that you can afford some kinda insurance to protect yourself eh? guess not.

drox
10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
wow, for someone so young and bought a 97 5-series you would think that you can afford some kinda insurance to protect yourself eh? guess not. I know a lot of people who do shit like that and end up getting fucked over in the end. Spending all your disposable income on a car and not being able to afford full coverage on it (thats my assumption about the OP, I very well may be wrong and hes just cheap) is silly. IMO, you need to draw a line where it would be worth the extra cost just to have that coverage. You never know :dunno:

Shouldve just aimed for the dumb fucking kids.

blinkme_210
10-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by drox
Shouldve just aimed for the dumb fucking kids.

Hey now, let's not go there. If he did that, you would have told him "shouldve just aimed for the dumb fucking tree/curb" instead.

Let's just help him find a cheap body shop, and be thankful that he didn't hit the kids.

tapout
10-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

Hey now, let's not go there. If he did that, you would have told him "shouldve just aimed for the dumb fucking tree/curb" instead.

Let's just help him find a cheap body shop, and be thankful that he didn't hit the kids. :werd:

Supa Dexta
10-10-2006, 07:24 AM
curious, was it raining that night?

Sebas
10-10-2006, 09:40 PM
no it wasnt raining....and i wasnt drunk..... i could easily afford the collision on my car my insurance now is only 1700 a year just didnt think that this would happen....lesson learnt i guess