PDA

View Full Version : Mass rx-8 recall

403Gemini
10-02-2006, 01:13 PM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/23/mazda-to-recall-nearly-all-rx-8s/

not sure if this is a repost or if anybody knows more on this

Crymson
10-02-2006, 01:19 PM
I had heard about it, but didn't know how/when it was being applied to canadian vehicles.

adam c
10-02-2006, 01:23 PM
i think someone posted this last month

Anton
10-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Fuck, are you serious????

I was going to put a deposit down on a new one today....:(

Crymson
10-02-2006, 04:17 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143282&highlight=rx8+recall

jdmakkord
10-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Anton
Fuck, are you serious????

I was going to put a deposit down on a new one today....:(

Do yourself a favor and get something else. 350z ftw

Anton
10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Do yourself a favor and get something else. 350z ftw

I was chosing between those 2, but to tell you the truth.. I like the feel of the RX8 better. To each his own right?

jdmakkord
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM

I was chosing between those 2, but to tell you the truth. I like the feel of the RX8 better. To each his own right?

True, but with the track record of Mazda with its RX8's I'd settle for rock solid 350Z's anyday.

Crymson
10-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Get an fd3s from the states and an '01 civic.

Anton
10-02-2006, 04:49 PM
It's under warranty and I won't keep it for TOO long. I also don't push my cars and this one definitely won't see the track so hopefully it will be ok. (Basically, I drive like a grandma)

Originally posted by Crymson
Get an fd3s from the states and an '01 civic.

Hah, I'm looking into new though. Thanks!

rc2002
10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
It revs up high but doesn't move anywhere - I've never driven anything else quite like it. All it has going for it is the styling and handling, but that wouldn't be enough to make me keep mine.

FivE.SeveN
10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Damn thats alot of junked engines :nut:

heavyD
10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I know a guy that got rid of his RX-8 after a year because he was tired of all the issues. I think it's time for Mazda to put the rotary to bed for good. The RX-8 is a very good handling RWD platform that deserves a better powerplant. Why not use the 2.3L Turbo engine from the MS3 & 6?

01RedDX
10-04-2006, 11:36 AM

bspot
10-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Mazda needs to offer a basic RWD rotary, something that is simpler and lighter than the RX-8 for under 25k. I would definitely consider it even with the stigma of having a rotary engine.

Why a rotary though? I've still never heard a good reason to use one.

All people ever pull out is "Well I get x horsepower out of y litres of displacement!"

Too bad you get the gas milage of a 6L V8.

Whats the point?

4doorj
10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
I know a guy that got rid of his RX-8 after a year because he was tired of all the issues. I think it's time for Mazda to put the rotary to bed for good. The RX-8 is a very good handling RWD platform that deserves a better powerplant. Why not use the 2.3L Turbo engine from the MS3 & 6?
word!!!! i agree with u !!!!
the car is sexy... but im not a fan of the rotary either... that turbo engine would be sweet in the rx8!!!!
but would it fit?
isnt the engine bay of the rx8 tiny?

MIWYFSHOTTER
10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
It revs up high but doesn't move anywhere

do you own one? or are you just talking out of your ass?

khtm
10-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Yeah 0-60 in 5.9 seconds is definitely "not moving" :rolleyes:

Anyways, the rotary seems ideal for hydrogen applications, and there's already a few test cars in Japan.

So don't count the little Wankel out of the game yet, folks. :thumbsup:

And the recall is just to replace engines if they fail compression tests, it's not like the owners don't get their cars back or anything. Wouldn't you like a new engine? At least Mazda is addressing the problem and not just sticking their head in the sand.

Anton
10-04-2006, 12:39 PM
So I ended up buying a 2007 RX8 GT w/ sunroof, black on black :clap:

Despite what a lot of people say, I still really enjoyed the car and it's the one I like the most.

4doorj
10-04-2006, 01:15 PM
^nice!!
congrats on a sexy car!

heavyD
10-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by khtm
Yeah 0-60 in 5.9 seconds is definitely "not moving" :rolleyes:

That's attained at an aggresive launch. For normal street driving where torque comes to play it's a dawg. Smooth as silk? Yes. High revving? Yes. Midrange punch? No. Oil consuming? Yes Plagued with CEL's and constant needs for ecu re-flashes? Yes.

Like I said before its a great car saddled with a less than impressive engine.

Anton
10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks 4doorj!

That's attained at an aggresive launch. For normal street driving where torque comes to play it's a dawg. Smooth as silk? Yes. High revving? Yes. Midrange punch? No. Oil consuming? Yes Plagued with CEL's and constant needs for ecu re-flashes? Yes.

Like I said before its a great car saddled with a less than impressive engine.

Yea, the lack of torque is VERY noticable. The car is still quick though but it really needs those high rpms to really accelerate.

FivE.SeveN
10-04-2006, 01:34 PM
LS1 swap?

heavyD
10-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Yea, the lack of torque is VERY noticable. The car is still quick though but it really needs those high rpms to really accelerate.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's a bad car. If you test drove it and can handle the lack of torque and fully understand that there are a few issues with the rotary you will be rewarded with a stylish & great handling car.

Anton
10-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's a bad car. If you test drove it and can handle the lack of torque and fully understand that there are a few issues with the rotary you will be rewarded with a stylish & great handling car.

Oh no, I wasn't arguing with you.

I knew all the problems that have been reported/discussed way before I went to see one.

I had cars with pretty big torque numbers but I really don't mind having a "slower" car by any means. I got sick of modding and speed/power in general and just got something nice, that still has sufficient power for my needs and handles great.

01RedDX
10-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Lex350
10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
oh crap...not again?!

R E P O S T

euro_racer
10-04-2006, 03:51 PM

Despite what a lot of people say, I still really enjoyed the car and it's the one I like the most.

congrats on the new car anton, gotta let me see this thing some day :thumbsup:

syeve
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM

Congrats! :bigpimp:

Anton
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks syeve!

Originally posted by euro_racer

No doubt!

SlowLude
10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
You have to make it out for the meets. I don't want to be the only 8 owner at the Mazda meets! :(

Anton
10-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by SlowLude
You have to make it out for the meets. I don't want to be the only 8 owner at the Mazda meets! :(

You bet :thumbsup:

It's a 2007 so it will take around 2 weeks to get here :( but after I'll figure out all the websites/meets.

4doorj
10-04-2006, 04:26 PM
i always wanted a rx8 for my second car.... for when i have a family....
but thats not for a while... unitil then i will just :drool: when i see them

Anton
10-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
i always wanted a rx8 for my second car.... for when i have a family....
but thats not for a while... unitil then i will just :drool: when i see them

I thought I was getting myself out of "family vehicles" into a sport car :( lol

MIWYFSHOTTER
10-04-2006, 05:27 PM

You aren't the only one. Beyond meets are just fucking gay.

zieg
10-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Ok, everyone bag the shit outta your rotaries, and hurry! :rofl:

Hollywood
10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Roteries are a waste, I dont care what anyone says. How is a disposal engine for street applications even viable???

And I think they sound like ass too.

Lex350
10-04-2006, 08:23 PM
awesome contribution to the thread...thanks for that.

Lex350
10-04-2006, 08:26 PM
here's the first thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143282

Graham_A_M
10-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer

what mazda meets? Me and a bunch of friends used to all own Mazda's: then we realized the low performance (/performance potential) of these mobile disasters: then we ALL sold them. NOt a single one of us still drives a mazda: And our "car club" is a year old! I've owned 4 mazda's over a 7 year period..... collectively the cars cost me between 20-30 thousand dollars in non-scheduled maintence....only to be left on the side of the road about 15-20 times. I've dealt with everything including siezing engines, brakes, tranny's, cables, engine electrical: it was a blast. I know ALL the service advisors at Kramer Mazda on a first and last name basis... I think its pretty safe to say Mazda sucks.

Look elsewhere, even with Kia or Lada; you can't go wrong. Mazda meets are hard to come by since most of the cars are so often in the shop: nobody can make it to the meets. (I know from experience on multiple occasions) Out of a given year: my blue 1993 MX6 LS (check the mazda section in the gallery: its under my username) that car spent about a good month every year in total at the dealership on so called "Ir-regular" repairs. Mostly during the prime summer months: which is a blast on a summer car. :rolleyes: Yeah.. GO MAZDA!!! I'm first in line for another one.

Anton
10-04-2006, 09:17 PM

Nvm, white on black!

Lex350
10-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Like with ALL manufacturers you get some good ones and some bad ones. Most RX8 oweners haven't had any troubles....I've had lots. That said, the car is still a fun car to drive and meets my needs.

One of my partners had an M5....he called it the worst car he ever had. Not because of the performace but because it was always in the shop (electrical mostly). I don't think there is a brand out there that you can't end up with a bad car...some more than others.

In the end it doesn't really matter what others think just if you enjoy the car....and the company backs up the warranty.:D

Lex350
10-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Hey I try to make every meet....but sometimes childcare gets in the way.

Penguin_Racecar
10-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

what mazda meets? Me and a bunch of friends used to all own Mazda's: then we realized the low performance (/performance potential) of these mobile disasters: then we ALL sold them. NOt a single one of us still drives a mazda: And our "car club" is a year old!

Your mx6 was just slow as shit. I don't know if anything was properly done on that car. The wheels looked like they were the wrong offset and it wasn't lowered properly, and the fact that a 4 cylinder version beat you in a race tells me something about how the engine was doing.
You can't tell me they're unreliable. Hortak's mx6 you purchased, that I've been told you're trying to sell with less than half the km's on it than it actually has 380,000km.
That being said, my 626 turbo has 210,000 km on it and is running strong. Jason's MX6 turbo had high 200,000km on it with damn near no issues. My friend's miata finally just cratered at 280,000km.
Maybe $20k in unscheduled maintenance was because you bought a car based on looks and modifications as opposed to be a sound, properly working car that was cared for.
You're the first person I've met that badmouthed Mazda for their reliability.
I still drive mine, and I'll stick to it. It has yet to leave me stranded.

Back somewhat on topic though, I do agree that rotaries get terrible gas mileage. They do allow you to make a lot of power from a small engine, which is useful in racing applications. There's a reason the 1st gen rx7 won so many races. Additionally, rotaries sound neat under wide open throttle.
Most people that complain about rotary reliability probably didn't bother checking their oil every time they got gas. Either that, or they just cranked the boost and blew their apex seals. Sure, they're not particularly efficient, but they can make a lot of power and be reliable.

heavyD
10-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

Your mx6 was just slow as shit. I don't know if anything was properly done on that car. The wheels looked like they were the wrong offset and it wasn't lowered properly, and the fact that a 4 cylinder version beat you in a race tells me something about how the engine was doing.
You can't tell me they're unreliable. Hortak's mx6 you purchased, that I've been told you're trying to sell with less than half the km's on it than it actually has 380,000km.
That being said, my 626 turbo has 210,000 km on it and is running strong. Jason's MX6 turbo had high 200,000km on it with damn near no issues. My friend's miata finally just cratered at 280,000km.
Maybe $20k in unscheduled maintenance was because you bought a car based on looks and modifications as opposed to be a sound, properly working car that was cared for.
You're the first person I've met that badmouthed Mazda for their reliability.
I still drive mine, and I'll stick to it. It has yet to leave me stranded.

Back somewhat on topic though, I do agree that rotaries get terrible gas mileage. They do allow you to make a lot of power from a small engine, which is useful in racing applications. There's a reason the 1st gen rx7 won so many races. Additionally, rotaries sound neat under wide open throttle.
Most people that complain about rotary reliability probably didn't bother checking their oil every time they got gas. Either that, or they just cranked the boost and blew their apex seals. Sure, they're not particularly efficient, but they can make a lot of power and be reliable.

Older turbo Mazda engines were bulletproof. I had a 323GT and that little 1.6L turbo engine still ran strong after over 250000 kms of hard driving and no maintenance. The 2.2L, 3-valve/cylinder turbo that was in the old probes and MX6's was strong also. I'm not too sure about their new stuff though. We bought a brand new 2002 Protege 5 and it started falling apart within weeks of the bumper to bumper warranty expiring.:(

b_t
10-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

snip

I'd tend to agree, my buddy's MX-3 with a KLDE swap, turbo boosting 14psi, has been going hard for around 70,000km on the stock bottom end now. he can drive it from victoria to calgary boosting the whole way with no problems. They are good cars, but like any car, if it is not taken care of the damage can be long lasting and hard to fix.

QuasarCav
10-05-2006, 09:05 AM
I put a 626 turbo though hell and back and it was eager for more. The 80's ones were really good and the newer style 2.2T's had the sleeper look and they were underrated.

rage2
10-05-2006, 09:10 AM
We have a guy at work that's about to cross the 500,000km mark is his 626. Older mazda's were bulletproof.

Penguin_Racecar
10-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
The 80's ones were really good and the newer style 2.2T's had the sleeper look and they were underrated.

That's why I love mine :D 15.06 in the 1/4 mile isn't bad for an old family car.

bspot
10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by rage2
We have a guy at work that's about to cross the 500,000km mark is his 626. Older mazda's were bulletproof.

Mine was a complete piece of shit. 200,000km and the thing wouldn't start if it was less than 5 degrees. 3rd gear broke, and by the end I was filling up with oil every time I was filling up with gas. Before you jump on me for not maintaining it, I gave up on it when everything started to go because I knew I had a new car coming any time.