PDA

View Full Version : nVidia to release liquid-cooled graphics cards

Xaroxantu Zero
10-03-2006, 05:07 PM
It's only for next gen though:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/10/nvidia-geforce-8800-hc.jpg

As if the world of high-performance gaming graphics wasn't already out of control, NVIDIA is rumored to be working a their next-gen "G80" GeForce 8800 card, which will be liquid cooled, and purportedly chows down on 300 watts of electricity to push its pixels. The news comes our way via [H]ard|OCP, which has spy pics of the monstrosity, and DigiTimes, which pulls on their usually cadre of shady insider sources for dirt on a mid-November launch. The card is designed for DirectX 10, allowing for beefier graphics and the offloading of some CPU duties, but DigiTimes is hearing word that DirectX 10 won't be ready in time for Vista's launch (it'll instead be available for download from Windows Update at a later date), and since the new graphics API won't be available at all for previous versions of Windows, a November launch seems a pretty risky move for the GPU builder -- though we're sure the DirectX 9.0 speed gains won't be non-existant. And of course there's always the pure, unadulterated geek cred of having a liquid-cooled supercomputer dominating that PCI-E x16 slot of yours -- not even Vista can take all the fun out of that.
Source: Engadget (http://tinyurl.com/krqjj)

dennisaur
10-03-2006, 05:49 PM
300 watts? WTF crazy

you're gonna need a dedicated PSU just to power that beast haha

natejj
10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by dennisaur
300 watts? WTF crazy

you're gonna need a dedicated PSU just to power that beast haha

It plugs into the wall, on its own AC adapter.

b_t
10-03-2006, 09:21 PM
thats fucking ridiculous. I'm not going to get a directx 10 card until the next 6600GT for DX10 comes out, but hopefully this leaked news will be enough to push down prices of current gen cards a bit :D

cityhunter2501
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
man..cant wait spending 3-5g for the next top of of the line 2007-2008 rig
intel core 2 duo quadro + G80 :drool:

wish i had the money though :rofl:

FivE.SeveN
10-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Fucking stupid, you'll pay twice for that card -- once to buy it, and again to power it.

Entire systems take 300Watts, not single video cards.

01RedDX
10-04-2006, 08:44 AM

djayz
10-04-2006, 08:48 AM
im sick of big ass computers why cant they concentrate on making small computers that perform well instead of coming out with a graphics card that costs as much as a top end computer and sucks so much power that it needs a seperate power supply

i play games alot i do photo editing video editing with alot of hidef content and my cheap 100 dollar video card is more than enough...just wish i could unplug my computer and take it with me instead of having this huge thing taking up half the desk...not to mention it gets noisy too!

:bigpimp: video card none the less just cuz its water cooled.

Xaroxantu Zero
10-04-2006, 09:02 AM
What they should be doing, IMO, is come up with a chipset that doesn't generate more heat than a barbecque, yet is more powerful than the previous generation chips.