PDA

View Full Version : 04 STi winter tires??

Eride
10-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, new Suby owner here and looking not to crash and die this winter on those rough winter roads. I have been searching NASIOC and the Hankook w300 Ice bears seem to be a good tire for the price. I will be mounting my winters on the stock STi BBS rims for now, anyone suggest a different tire over the Ice Bears? Anyone know where I can pick up the Hankook's here in town or am I best to order them online? And last question should I go with the stock 225/45/17 size tires or can I go with an alternate size that would be better in the ice and easier on the cash flow? Thanks for your help!

E

mac_82
10-03-2006, 07:23 PM
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093790

Nokian Hakka's
Hankook W300's
Michelin X-ice

Eride
10-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Yea read through that thread, guys are saying the Hakka's arent that good on ice, anyone have any experience with them? How about the size question?

mac_82
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Eride you in Edmonton? I am going tire shopping in the next 2 days and have a discount at Kal Tire.

benyl
10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Kumho KW-17 is what I use. Works good.

Eride
10-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
Eride you in Edmonton? I am going tire shopping in the next 2 days and have a discount at Kal Tire.

Calgary, but thanks man! I was rocking some Michilin x-ice on my mitsu before the Sti and they were really good, but pretty pricey. Might check out Kal tire here this week, any other advice guys?

RickDaTuner
10-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Erik, get yourself some Hankook W300's they are the cheapest tire you can get for the STI and they work Great!!!

I've had both the KW17's and the W300's and preffer the cheaper set:thumbsup:

Eride
10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Erik, get yourself some Hankook W300's they are the cheapest tire you can get for the STI and they work Great!!!

I've had both the KW17's and the W300's and preffer the cheaper set:thumbsup:

Thanks Rick, I am leaning towards the w300's for sure, where is the best place in town to pick them up?

max_boost
10-03-2006, 08:00 PM
How are Edmonton's winters? Lots of snow? Really cold? If so, Kumho KW19's, Blizzak WS15 or Michelin X-Ice would be perfect. Really soft tire, sticks like glue :D

With Calgary's climate (warm chinook air) I want to utilize the performance aspect of the car so I'll go with a harder compound tire. Kumho KW17, Michelin Pilot Alpin2 and Hankook W300 are all excellent choices. :burnout:

I would go with the stock tire size although a narrower tire is more suited for gripping in winter so I hear. :thumbsup:

max_boost
10-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Eride

Thanks Rick, I am leaning towards the w300's for sure, where is the best place in town to pick them up? For this specific tire, TireCraft carries them. I deal with TireCraft (our sponsor) ask for Mikey! Tell him Chinese Food Sam sent you. haha I'm pretty sure this tire and size is in stock as well, I saw it the other day unless if it was for another customer.

Tunerworks is also another great place to buy tires, I got my Kumho KW19's from them, awesome tire for the money.

Aleks
10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I deal with TireCraft (our sponsor) ask for Mikey! Tell him Chinese Food Sam sent you. haha

I'm pretty sure this tire and size is in stock as well, I saw it the other day unless if it was for another customer.

Sam is there a way for you find out what type of 16" steelie would fit over our brakes. No one knows for sure!

WBB6
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Dunlop Wintersport M3/3D is a well suited tire for the STI :thumbsup:

225/45/17 is the CORRECT size to go with.

max_boost
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Sam is there a way for you find out what type of 16" steelie would fit over our brakes. No one knows for sure! Maybe WBB6 can chime in on this one. I didn't look into it because I agreed to buy a set of stock wheels from a forum member :D

Eride
10-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Ged670
I just purchased a set of Pirelli Sottozero 210 which look to be a very strong winter tire while still maintaining the performance to a reasonable degree. I ordered them with ASA wheels that do clear the STI brakes and got the whole package for $1500.00 to my door. They are 225/45R17 and a "H" rated tire. They do make a 240 model tire that is "V" rated I think. We'll see how they perform soon I'm sure!

Where did you get this package from?

xrayvsn
10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I just bought my winter boots for the STi from one of the vendors on NASIOC (subydude). 17 x 8 Rota Boost ET48 mounted with Blizzak LM-25 225/45/17 V-rated. Came with a set of McGard Spline drive lugs. Cost me about $2000 after the shipping and taxes, though. I did look into the ASA JH3 from Tirerack, but decided I wanted something that looked different, so I took the hit on the extra cost.

They balanced the wheels with tape weights, which I was worried would cause problems with clearance, but my worries were unfounded. Put them on the car last night and there's plenty of room to clear the Brembos. The Blizzaks are actually more quiet than the Potenza RE070 on the highway, and corner nearly as well, though I still like the feel of the Potenzas better. I hope this does not translate into shitty snow/ice traction when the temperature drops...

One day when I can afford to buy a digital camera, I will post pics of the winter rims for you.