PDA

View Full Version : opinions: Dreadlocks

thinmyster
10-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Im just kinda getting sick of the standard hair cut. Thinking of maybe rocking the dreads any thoughts?

btw im white if that makes any difference. :D Pretty decent guy so im not looking to go for the "druggy" look hehe

EK 2.0
10-03-2006, 09:31 PM
naw bredren...you ain't be no rastfar brah...

TC2002
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Yech. Dreadlocks. :rolleyes: How about going for a shaved/bald look instead?

I don't know what you look like, or what your "typical" style is. I mean, if you're more of a preppy going for that look, man, there's a shocker. :eek:

Palmiros
10-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster

btw im white if that makes any difference .. Pretty decent guy so im not looking to go for the "druggy" look

Being white and having dreadlocks, while being/looking decent?

I'm sorry, it's not going to happen. :P

Just kidding, if you feel it's right for you, sure, go ahead and do it. Who cares what I, and ^^^(them) think.

Honda_002
10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I think dreadlocks will always be associated with the druggy look, why dont you just shave your head?

thinmyster
10-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
naw bredren...you ain't be no rastfar brah...

haha what?

i shave my head every summer :zzz: im not a prep jeans t-shirt guy. although i do work in a professional workplace...

my hairs short so they would start off small

USED1
10-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Do not do the dred's. You will most likely look like a retard, just DON'T DO IT:thumbsup:

thinmyster
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
i guess if i look like a retard i can shave it per everyone elses suggestion

Pee_Sack
10-03-2006, 10:00 PM
if you work in a professional place and don't want to be labeled as a druggy/low life don't do it.

I have a few friends that have dreads and they always get asked for drugs...mind you most of them do them.

I used to have an orange mohawk about 1 foot tall off my head, I loved it a lot of other people didn't. When you don't have the norm "ceaser" or "spiked" hair you will get looks and you will get judged.

snade831
10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Don't

three.eighteen.
10-03-2006, 11:00 PM
dreadlocks require alot of hair, my buddy has been growing his hair out for dreads for a long time, chad kroeger length hair makes for pretty short dreads...if you want dreads, be prepared to look like jesus for a good while

jdmakkord
10-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Fuck dreds rock corn rows man!!!

turbotrip
10-03-2006, 11:17 PM
do it, ive seen a couple of white guys with dreads who still look professional and all that, as long as u keep urself up u wont look liek the typical druggie.

00CivicSi
10-03-2006, 11:28 PM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Tik-Tok
10-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Bored of your look? Want dreadlocks?

Just shave "IMAGINE DREADLOCKS HERE" on the back of your head.

jcrules99
10-03-2006, 11:40 PM
say no to dreads!

BigDannyCool
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
i heard you're not supposed to wash your hair when you have dreads. Any truth to that?

sputnik
10-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Dreadlocks tell the world that you cant afford shampoo.

Rockski
10-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Fuck dreds rock corn rows man!!!

actually i was thinking of that....

pinoyhero
10-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Do what you like but white guys with dreads will have a wigger or druggie aura to them no matter what imo

nonsane
10-04-2006, 08:26 AM
If you want to look like an opinionated hippy, do it.

IF you want them, get them. If you are concerned about what people think(which i think you are because you are asking on here) then don't get it.

BigBearWest
10-04-2006, 08:43 AM
DO IT MAN. WOULD LOOK WICKED

ogpog
10-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
i heard you're not supposed to wash your hair when you have dreads. Any truth to that?

Taken from dreadheadhq,

Washing dreadlocks is more important than you think...

In the first three weeks your dreadlocks be will very delicate and you'll want to wash them about every 5 days. After they have had a chance to establish themselves a bit, usually after the 1st month, you should begin washing them every 2-3 days. Always use residue free shampoo when you wash your dreads. Not only will it help them mature faster, it will ensure that new growth continues to lock up. Soap residues slow down and in some cases prevent the hair from locking. Residues can also build up inside dreads increasing the time it takes for them to dry. This often leads to mildew growing inside the dreads. Growing mildew is unhealthy and it smells like you're wearing a sour gym bag on your head. Fortunately you don't have to go through all that!

You can keep a nylon stocking on your head while you shower for the first month or so. Yeah, I know you'll look a little ridiculous but it keeps the dreads from loosening up while they're wet. Pour some soap on your head, and lather it up through the stocking, then rinse it out really good. If you have rubber bands at the roots and tips wearing the nylon on your head is less necessary. More on using rubber bands later on...

After you wash your dreads, squeeze and shake the extra water out, then put them in a dry towel (one that doesn't shed) for about 10min. If your dreads are pretty thick you may need to put them in a second towel to suck more of the water out. Squeezing them with the towel works well to. Then let them air dry or dry them with a hair dryer. Do not stick your damp dreads in a tam and leave them there. Getting them dry is very important. You'll probably notice that the inside of the dreads, especially thicker mature dreads, takes quite a while to dry. As long as you get the outside as dry as possible the inside will air dry without a problem unless it's packed full of slimy soap residue... They also have these nifty hair dryers that have a plastic bag which fills with hot air and dries your dreads faster. These will leave your dreads tight and fluffy. I found one at Sally's Beauty Supply. On a side note: If you have a Sally's near you and you would like to be able to buy DreadHead products there ask the cashier for a product request form. Fill it out and hand it in. If there are enough requests for DreadHead Dread Products everyone near a Sally's will be able to get our stuff locally... very sweet!

Some tips on maintenance and the A B routine...

Only wax your dreads when they're dry. Warm them with a blow dryer while you wax them if possible. This will help the wax settle into the dreads. More wax does not make dreads lock up faster. You want to put enough that you can feel it on the dread, no more. Your not making candles, you know. During the first three weeks you'll want to keep some wax on the dreads all the time, you won't have to add wax every day, every 2-3 days should be plenty. Add more only when you can't feel it in the hair. A little goes a long way, when you are adding wax add small amounts at a time and work it in completely before moving on the next dread. As your dreadlocks mature a bit and feel tighter they will need less and less wax. Any time your dreads start to feel dry work some wax in to moisturize them. This will ensure you don't loose dreads due to breakage.

For best results wax your dreads a day or so after you wash them. Use this wax free period to create new knots by clockwise rubbing. One routine that works really well is to alternate your maintenance weekly:

Week A: Use wax and concentrate on palm rolling. This period will give your knots time to settle into dreads. Use the accelerator sparingly if at all. Don't worry about twisting, rubbing and creating new knots. If you have loose hair that needs to be dread balled do so right after you shower and dry the hair.. Wax after you finish.

Week B: Use accelerator and lock pepper to create lots of knots. Don't add any wax. This is the best time to use clockwise rubbing, finger rubbing and dread balling. Your dreads may look a lil' frizzy during this week but that's normal. As they mature their appearance will grow steadily better.

Switching back and forth like this helps the dreads mature much faster.

Sounds like a pain in the ass.
Dont do it, it looks dirty and gay all at the same time.

Si_FlyGuy
10-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Dreads will get you fired...like Sideshow Bob was.

but seriously, there's a personal hygiene policy about stuff nesting in your hair.

Ghettobaby
10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
I have dreds, but then again i'm a black person. Anyway if you take care of them they can look really good. However alot of ppl get lazy (develop nasty odours, bad dandruff and so forth) not cool. I've been growing my for 7 years now and have not had a problem with people making assumptions about me, but I make to wash them daily with shampoo and keep the tidy not just let them grow into a big mat.

statick
10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Unless there's actually this aforementioned policy, go for it. I had dreads for like a month and they were wicked...

hb2k
10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
i knew a white guy with dreads. but he was a mad stoner so it fit him perfectly.

Watcher
10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Dreads are something that people either love or hate, so expect to have alot of hippies saying hello, and a lot of rednecks calling you a fag.

Fag!

:rofl:

Canmorite
10-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Dreadlocks are for hippies :thumbsdow

frozenrice
10-04-2006, 10:27 PM
best of both worlds :
shave and then get a wig for the weekends (or vice versa)

Darkane
10-05-2006, 12:06 AM
I had a white buddy with Dreds.. Mind you he is a bass player and a stoner.. So yeah it fit him well. Got lots of chicks too. Just be prepared for the "Different" Women you will attract :)

IMO if your bored just do some regular hockey style hair or just plain banger hair! Everyone needs long hair one time in thier life. :thumbsup:

shawtie
10-05-2006, 12:44 AM
I think they just look dirty:thumbsdow

RandomAnything
10-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey there my husband (MustangCrazy) and our 4 year old both have dreads I had them too but took them out for a job but most likely putting them back in shortly... There not as dirty as ppl think and on "white people" i think if there done right they look great.. There are diffrent ways of doing them ya of course the dirties downtown who have no soap theres looks gross. A lot of misconceptions about them, such as I did not haveto cut my hair to get them out. Or that bugs grow in them, you need to use tea tree oil in your shampoo which keeps the hair from damaging, going moldy and it repells bugs.. Like I said my 4 year old daughter in in the public school system and has dreads to her ass and has not cought anything yet....

RandomAnything
10-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Were also not hippies or stoners... Ill post pics later

legendboy
10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
dreads = dirty

Kavy
10-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
dreads = dirty

I had dreads for 2 years, I washed them sometimes twice a day to knot them quicker, people who dont wash dreads are dirty not dreads themselves.

I think well done dreads look very good, I went with small (about pinkie finger size) and had no problems at all. And you dont need alot of hair to get dreads going but honestly they take a shit load of work on us white guys as our hair is naturally oily and does not knot well. Pick up dread shampoo and wash with it for a month before starting to dry the shit out of your hair and then go pick up a dog metal brush, this will set your dreads so tight not even EK will be able to get in.

You dont need long hair I would say 4 inches if you have patience but if not shoot for 8. I had help doing mine (sister owns a salon and I picked the best looking one) and it took us about 3 hours to get them set and about 5 months to get them so I wasent waxing them everyday and twisting them.

tapout
10-22-2006, 01:30 AM
try this out seems to work in edmonton :dunno:

good old mullet :rofl:

thinmyster
12-13-2006, 08:16 PM
hey anyone know a salon that does locking or a place that will do dreadfalls dreadextentions? reason i ask is i cant have that inbetween phase in my dreads where i look like a complete tard?

Whitetiger
12-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by tapout
try this out seems to work in edmonton :dunno:

good old mullet :rofl: :rofl: too funny!

schurchill39
12-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Wayyyy back in the day when I used to go to summer camp, I remember a couple of white councelors having them. They took care of them and still looked good. So far I have seen 1 (white) person in the O&G industry with them. I guess it all depends on your own personal hygien and what you want.

saladonthebeach
12-18-2006, 05:40 AM
I'd never do dreads myself, but that's just my opinion. Once dreads get all frizzed and lump out... looks very dirty.

Better check with your g/f first... I know a lot of girls that are finicky and always nitpick about stuff. I used to grow out my burns and I got verbally kicked in the sac one too many times from the g/f. I quickly grew tired of all the under-the-breath insults and shaved them off to finally shut her grill about it. In hindsight, I think she was right though, but I dumped her anyways. :rofl: