PDA

View Full Version : Stoptech BBK on S4 - help??

Cruz
10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I have a Stoptech 13" BBK and there's a pretty heavy vibration/pulsation when I stop. At high speeds, it literally shakes to shit.

Took the car into Glenmore Audi for service and they told me that the rotors are warped which I very highly doubt, in part because of this post:

Originally posted by 89coupe

Warped rotors is a myth. I highly doubt your little Hondas could put enough extreme force on your rotors or pads to warp them.

Here is a little reading for you.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

i) Does anyone know if drilled 13" rotors can be machined ?

ii) Can anyone recommend a bullshit-free brake shop, experienced in high-performance brake kits, who can give me a straight up assessment of my problem? Preferably one which won't charge me up the ass because it's an S4.

Thanks

ninjak84
10-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Warped rotors are a myth? :rofl:

That article only argues the terminology behind the problem.

discs that had turned into shallow cones at operating temperature because they were mounted rigidly to their attachment bells or top hats

Sounds like it was warped over time.

and an untold number of discs with pad material unevenly deposited on the friction surfaces - sometimes visible and more often not.

Hey, that sounds like a warped rotor too.

Warped rotors are not a myth. You can sit there and call them "distorted", "unevenly worn", "improperly mounted", or "coned", but it all means the same thing. Warped is just a general term. There's a million factors that lead to the distortion of brake rotors.

Cruz
10-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Warped rotors are a myth? :rofl:

That article only argues the terminology behind the problem.

Sounds like it was warped over time.

Hey, that sounds like a warped rotor too.

Warped rotors are not a myth. You can sit there and call them "distorted", "unevenly worn", "improperly mounted", or "coned", but it all means the same thing. Warped is just a general term. There's a million factors that lead to the distortion of brake rotors.

Good point but regardless, can they be machined?

snowboard
10-04-2006, 12:59 PM
uhh 89coupe is wrong.
My sister 1.6el had warped rotors, got them machined and then the car stopped fine, no shimey, no shake.

But sorry i dont know if drilled rotors can be machined.

Tuner1
10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
How many KMs on the rotors? What pads are you using?

Rob

Cruz
10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
The rotors have ~40k and the pads are either Axxis or Pagid - don't remember.

Mitsu3000gt
10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm afraid those are exact symptoms of warped rotors. Try Tune Dub, give them a call. My car is going there tomorrow for its 96,000km service, im going to give them a try.

Cruz
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks, Mits. Would you mind posting or PMing me and letting me know how it goes?

Thanks

Mitsu3000gt
10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Will do, I'll post my experiences or PM you after the work is complete. It goes in tomorrow morning so I may or may not get it back same day. I read nothing but good about him on eurodrivers.ca and he told me he has a few S4 customers already. Also, someone wrote a lenthly post who owns a 2.7T A6 who did not want to go to the dealer and was very happy with the work. Also, his labor rate is $70 an hour not $100 like the dealer.

Cruz
10-04-2006, 07:54 PM
While you're at it, would you mind asking him for a quote for a brake diagnostic?

Thanks again.

R-Audi
10-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Mine were exactly the same.. sounds like warped rotors to me. A civic hardly weighs the same as your heftly S4, dont pay attention to them.

Also are your rotors the two-piece? Not so sure you can machine the two-piece'ers. And if they arent you may want to look at upgrading to them... less chance of warpage.

Cruz
10-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Mine were exactly the same.. sounds like warped rotors to me. A civic hardly weighs the same as your heftly S4, dont pay attention to them.

Also are your rotors the two-piece? Not so sure you can machine the two-piece'ers. And if they arent you may want to look at upgrading to them... less chance of warpage.

Ya, they are the 2 piece.