PDA

View Full Version : WTB:Shaw Cable Modem

Proyecto2000
10-05-2006, 10:39 AM
I am looking for a SB5100 or newer.

not interested in the old Cybersurfer modems.

thanks.

Thaco
10-05-2006, 11:13 AM
FYI if you get an old cybersurf modem you can exchange it at shaw for free (as long as you have the high speed extreme on your account at the time of the exchange) to get the sb5100

Proyecto2000
10-05-2006, 12:32 PM
o thanks Thaco, to bad I get my Shaw internet from 3web and they want me to pay for for the modem even after using my cybersurfer for the past 3 yrs with them:(

lewdvig
10-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I have a cybersurfer and I might be switching providers. PM me if you want mine.

pookguy88
10-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I have one that i'm not using, PM me, i'm in Edmonton though

?????
10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey i have a old cybersufr(i think i've had this unit since high speed came out) one i'm renting from shaw every month. Do you think i can just get them to upgrade my modem or do i have to switch to extreme?

Proyecto2000
10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
thanks for the offer pookguy88, but I would like to buy it locally.

Originally posted by lewdvig
I have a cybersurfer and I might be switching providers. PM me if you want mine. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008Y1BX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

does it look like the one above or is yours the old one that looks like the one on the bottom?

http://www.adamsglobal.com/images/CyberSurfrWave.jpg

I own the old cybersurfer and as of yesterday it stopped working, becuase its no longer compatible with Shaws line upgrades.

if any one has the SB5100 and they would like to sell it shoot me a PM please.

lewdvig
10-05-2006, 04:15 PM
I have the one on the bottom - shaw made it incompatible?

Recca168
10-05-2006, 11:02 PM
just take your old cybersurfer into any shaw retail and they will exchange to the new docsis modems, you don't have to be on any xtreme account you just have to have a internet account with them and that the modem your trading in is on your account,

pro if yours stop working call tech support, or just bring it to retail and get them to swap it all free of charge.

the old modem are still compatiable since 50% of of shaws customers still use it.

best thing you can do also is check pawn shops

Cruz
10-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I have what you're looking for. Did you have a price in mind?

boopydogg
10-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
thanks for the offer pookguy88, but I would like to buy it locally.

I own the old cybersurfer and as of yesterday it stopped working, becuase its no longer compatible with Shaws line upgrades.

if any one has the SB5100 and they would like to sell it shoot me a PM please.

who told you that its not compatable? i work for shaw and the cybersurf modems still work on the system.........

Proyecto2000
10-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by boopydogg

who told you that its not compatable? i work for shaw and the cybersurf modems still work on the system.........

yes, I called Shaw tech support last night and they told me that the cybersurfer is 100% compantible and that alot of of their customers still use that modem (my neighbour and uncle included :rolleyes: ) so I then told him I actually get Shaws highspeed through 3WEB. I explained to the guy how they told me that Shaw changed the lines and thats why my internet would not work for th epast 3 days and that I had to buy the new SB5100 for $60 inorder to get my internet back.

The tech person from Shaw just laughed and said said that the cybersurfers work becuase they never removed the old infrucsture, all they did was add new lines that only the new modems supprt and they kept the old lines for all the people that have not upgraded or dont want to upgrade to the new modem.

I'll be making a call to 3web to cancel my account later today...... Shaw offered me free a SB5100+1 month for free and then 6 months @ $29 followed by a regular price of $38/month.