PDA

View Full Version : Need information for buying a snowboard.

Mar
10-05-2006, 11:28 AM
My roommate got me into riding last year, I was used to be a hardcore skiier, pretty good too. But I'm going to do a lot more riding this year so I need a board and bindings. I already have everything else, what should I be looking for in the two? I'm pretty much stuck on Burton as I want good products, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a 152 length. What else should I be looking for in a board and bindings? I have no idea what it should be made of. I'll mostly be doing just downhill riding with a few jumps/360s and maybe eventually do a bit of pipe or park riding but not a whole lot.

cmodem
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
if you're stuck on burton you can never go wrong with the

custom... one of the best all around boards out there. Or the uninc or raven.

These will all set you back a pretty penny though. Depending on the bindings you want get something with a toe strap makes a huge difference in comfort. Anything custom at least to the c60's if you have the dough.

That's the burton line. Personally i think burton bindings are alright they are definately light as freak... but they aren't as strong as i've broke my cartels twice... but there warrenty is good you just have to wait.

As for their boards... they have wack boards... but i'd also look at the other companies kicking around i.e. OPTION hahah.

So coles notes:

bindings look for something light (more energy transfer), stiff (more responsive), cap strap, and pimp looking.

boards think about whether you want a unidirectional or bidirectional (will you ride fakie much)... think about the amount of side cut is on the board and the effective edge during riding... more edge more all-ride it is... less effective edge more free-ride. Burton boards usually come with stickers on the back that tell you the weight range that the board length is for... that's a golden guide for the sizing. Matches you right up with the kind of flex.

Mar
10-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Cool thanks. I was looking at the toe caps on the bindings, good ideas. I figure I'll get a board on sale for about $600 and then about $300 for bindings, that'll probably get me a decent board. I wouldn't mind going to $1000 for the package, but I got to get something for the opening weekend in 5 weeks. It'll definitely have to be bidirectional as I switch quite a lot and I don't want to become dependent on one side, so I might as well learn both sides while I'm learning the basics right from the start. I'll check out Mission and The Source to see what they have here in Calgary, and I'll check the stats of the boards on burton.com.

Hash_man
10-05-2006, 05:32 PM
IMO, burton has been around a long time, and does make some good stuff, but all my friends who have had burton boards... top of the line too, have had problems with them. One had his board start to de-laminate of 1 season and he never even went in the park.... Maybe they have improved quality in the past few years, but IMO, there are lots of other great boards out there, so keep your options open.

Crymson
10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm in the same boat -- i wanted something good quality, but no overly specific, so i ended up getting a 164 burton custom X and a set of Burton Cartel bindings. I can't wait for snow.

TEAMFaint
10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
I went with a Rossy Sultan+ Board and Tech Nine Monster XL bindings, I love my Tech Nine bindings and would definately recommend them; they have gone through 3 seasons and the chrome still BLINGS :bigpimp:

Burton, Rossi, Salomon or K2 are all safe bets IMO.

Hash_man
10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
I went with a Rossy Sultan+ Board and Tech Nine Monster XL bindings, I love my Tech Nine bindings and would definately recommend them; they have gone through 3 seasons and the chrome still BLINGS

Definately agree with you on the technines. I have been riding mine for 3 seasons, and they have held up really well. Picked up toe cap straps last year for $35 and they are even better now, can't beat lifetime warranty either.

Mar
10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Hash_man
IMO, burton has been around a long time, and does make some good stuff, but all my friends who have had burton boards... top of the line too, have had problems with them. One had his board start to de-laminate of 1 season and he never even went in the park.... Maybe they have improved quality in the past few years, but IMO, there are lots of other great boards out there, so keep your options open.
What kind of bindings did he have? My roommate's board split apart, laminate came right off the wood. But when he brought it to where he bought it, they told him his Ride bindings were too rigid for the Burton board and caused it to split so it's not necessarily the fault of the Burton board. This is probably why I'd be more likely to get Burton bindings as well.

cmodem
10-06-2006, 10:07 AM
All i have to say is keep your OPTION...s.... open haha.

ogpog
10-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I went with the newer Burton Royale 162 and some burton missions.

Mar
10-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm going to get something within the month since the season starts a month from now. Any idea if there are going to be sales I should wait for? Does that usually happen for you avid shoppers? Or should I just go and get something at full price? Damn, I was offered 60% off any new Burton board and bindings of my choice last year, should have taken it.

googe
10-08-2006, 12:42 PM
probably not an option, but best to wait for the fire sales at the end of the season. or if you can find any of last seasons stuff still on shelves, pick it up. board technology doesnt change enough year to year to justify paying the extra $300 so buy getting last years models you can get killer deals!

Hash_man
10-08-2006, 03:17 PM
What kind of bindings did he have? My roommate's board split apart, laminate came right off the wood. But when he brought it to where he bought it, they told him his Ride bindings were too rigid for the Burton board and caused it to split so it's not necessarily the fault of the Burton board. This is probably why I'd be more likely to get Burton bindings as well.

He had burton board and bindings.

I'm going to get something within the month since the season starts a month from now. Any idea if there are going to be sales I should wait for?

If you go now, some places might still have some stock from last years gear, and that is always a way to get cheap stuff. Its still brand new, but just not the current line-up.

Mar
10-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Any good places to check? Besides The Source and Mission downtown.

Chris101
10-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Does any one have any experience with Forum boards? I know they have been acquired by Burton so that is pretty reassuring.

I'm looking at ordering this set up:
Board (http://www.the-house.com/9848foy6zzforumyoungblood.html)
Bindings (http://www.the-house.com/rd1lx4zzride.html)
Boots (http://www.the-house.com/tt2ex08bzzthirtytwoexusboots.html)

any opinions or advice?

Hash_man
10-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Any good places to check? Besides The Source and Mission downtown

If you're in the south check out Chikko at southland and elbow, or in deerfoot meadows next to EB.

Does any one have any experience with Forum boards? I know they have been acquired by Burton so that is pretty reassuring.

I didn't realize they had been aquired by burton, but I have ridden a couple forums and absolutely hated them.

And also, how tall are you? cuz 148 is a pretty small board.

Chris101
10-08-2006, 05:38 PM
^
I'm 5'7, and im usually always in the park or the pipe so I'm looking for a board about chin level. I rode a 153 last season and felt it was a little bigger than wanted.

Can you elaborate on what you disliked about the Forum board you rode?

boarderfatty
10-09-2006, 08:57 PM
personally for bindings i would go for drake, you can get the toe cap with them as well. I have ridden mine for a year and they have been crazy awsome.

another option i have been considering this year are some of the higherend flow bindings, I really like the rear entery idea, but havent heared to much about them.

Mar
10-13-2006, 08:43 PM
I checked out Mission and The Source today looking for boards, the guy at The Source was pretty hyped up about the Libtech boards, anyone ever ride these? What he was saying made a lot of sense, they seem pretty good. I got to do some research on them though, and that's why I wanted to go with Burton, no research required. I also checked out the Mission sale at the University Of Calgary but got there real late and there was nothing left but some Burton Mullala or something like that.

The guy at Mission was showing me the Custom board but saying it's a bit much for me where I'm new to boarding and recommended the Burton Air board, any negative experiences with this one? I'm thinking about going with this 157 Air and Cartel bindings unless I get some real good things out of the Libtech research.

I'll also be picking up a carry case for the board and a hydration pack, the smaller the better. I liked The Source better though, overall a better experience and the guy knew his stuff.

dino_martini
10-13-2006, 09:47 PM
I would also check out Skaters across from Chinook Station. Thats where I bought my first board and they are really good there. :thumbsup:

Hash_man
10-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Can you elaborate on what you disliked about the Forum board you rode?

I dunno... it was a while ago, but the board was super heavy to start with, and it actually felt heavy to ride.. and it had no pop.

Mar
10-21-2006, 06:11 PM
For $1250 I ended up with..

Burton Air 157 board
Burton Cartel bindings
Burton System pants
Dakine hydration pack
Dakine board bag
Dakine lock

And I still have from last year....
Burton System jacket
Burton Hail boots
Dakine goretex gloves
Oakley goggles
Helly Hanson breatheable shirt

I'm PUMPED! I even got the day off work for the season opener at Sunshine.

ercchry
10-21-2006, 06:24 PM
man thats a mainstream set up for sure but it should be a good set up quality at least
personally i think burton is over hyper
what i have for gear(most a few years old but that just shows how good it is)
DC Phantom 2 (the air system sucks but still warm and comfy) boots
drake SS bindings
option kevin sasalone pro model deck
volcom jacket (highly recomend these so good light,cheap, and warm but not to hot)
RED helmet
Spy goggles
special blend pants

ercchry
10-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Mar
the guy at The Source was pretty hyped up about the Libtech boards, anyone ever ride these?

i had a lib tech board great deck but they dont like to flex to much i split mine after a couple seasons and have heard alot of people that have snaped them from landing to hard on the tails

Dope Dealer
10-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Check out Skaters in Crowfoot...

Hash_man
10-22-2006, 12:22 AM
DC Phantom 2 (the air system sucks but still warm and comfy) boots

I miss my phantoms... they were such comfortable boots... I want a pair of DC's again, I loved the air pump.

ercchry
10-22-2006, 03:36 AM
^^ i have never had an air pump that has worked

CivicTunr
10-22-2006, 04:26 AM
burtons good imo.

but i'm sticking to rome and technine.
i ride
2006 rome agent 160
2005 rome agent 155.
if you guys havent heard of rome before, people from burton decided they wanted to have a bigger name in snowboarding,
so they quit burton and formed rome,
the good about rome:(from experience)
-Made goodwoods w/ the agent 2 yrs in a rome, and has made good wood since they've been formed.
-Carbon fiber in the nose and tail, for a stiffer ride, and a better pop off jumps.
-2 year warranty vs the usual 1 year warranty from companies

The good about technine(from experience)
Technine:
-life time warrenty no questions asked. (rubber on bottom of bindings came off, so they fully replaced them w/ a the 2005 dominators (pink/white)

*Rumor*
i heard that how they test them is they run them over w/ a truck to make sure they dont break, this is just what ive heard from a few people.

Mar
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM
http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/New-Snowboard-Gear/Board_And_Bindings.sized.jpg

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/New-Snowboard-Gear/Board_Bindings_And_Boots.sized.jpg

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/New-Snowboard-Gear/Burton_System_Pants.sized.jpg

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/New-Snowboard-Gear/Dakine_Hydration_Pack_1.sized.jpg

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/New-Snowboard-Gear/Dakine_Hydration_Pack_3.sized.jpg

http://danmaher.com/pictures/albums/New-Snowboard-Gear/Dakine_Lock.sized.jpg

A2VR6
10-24-2006, 12:19 AM
anyone heard of "endeavor" boards? I've heard very good things about them.. i think my next board will definatly be from them.

CivicTunr
10-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
anyone heard of "endeavor" boards? I've heard very good things about them.. i think my next board will definatly be from them.

amazing boards, im pretty sure all of them are handcrafted.

bulaian
10-31-2006, 12:04 PM
if you're ordering from www.the-house.com be prepared to pay $40 for shipping to Canada and then an extra $40 or more in duties

canderson
11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
dude go for a rome or ride or stepchild. unreal

Kobe
11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
I got an older Forum JP WALKER paid $700 for it, its not in mint condition ill try to get a pic, id prob let it go for 100 or so

Its a 154...