PDA

View Full Version : Question about driving a JAPAN import car from Vancouver to Calgary

92_VTEC_lude
10-05-2006, 12:40 PM
I am about to put some deposit on a FD3 RX7, I am aware of an OUT OF COUNTRY INSPECTION has to be done. I want to pick up my car in Vancouver port and drive it back to Calgary with a BC temporary insurance and plate (I know you can buy those for 1 week time). My question are:

1- Do I have to complete the out of country inspection in Vancouver as soon as the car landed to buy the temporary insurance and plate for the drive back to Calgary?
2- If the question 1 is a YES then do I have to do another out of country inspection again in Calgary since the car will be registered in Alberta? What other of inspection I must do in Alberta to get the car registered?

Please help before I put some deposit on the car. I have asked the importer and he was not sure about this because he usually ship the car to new owner ($400 bucks shipping charge from Vancouver to Calgary). I am planning this driving way not to save money ($120 for airfare from Calgary to Vancouver and another $70 for gas from Vancouver to Calgary) just I want to be able to test out the car for a long trip which I will take in next summer to Toronto and US....

Lo)2enz0
10-05-2006, 01:02 PM
you won't be able to complete a oop in bc, just because you will have to do it all over again when you get right back here. trust me, have it shipped to calgary and than worry about all of that

ryder_23
10-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by 92_VTEC_lude
I

Please help before I put some deposit on the car. I have asked the importer and he was not sure about this because he usually ship the car to new owner ($400 bucks shipping charge from Vancouver to Calgary). I am planning this driving way not to save money ($120 for airfare from Calgary to Vancouver and another $70 for gas from Vancouver to Calgary) just I want to be able to test out the car for a long trip which I will take in next summer to Toronto and US....

weigh your options..

Do you work? Will you require time off, meaning no gains in funds? Gas will be more then 70$, especially on an FD. Dont forget, are you gonna fly there and drive straight back? stay in a hotel. By the sounds of it, 400$, is less hassle, and maybe in the end cheaper?

Roger Moore
10-05-2006, 01:12 PM
When you bring it back to Calgary you will require an out of PROVINCE inspection, not country.

rage2
10-05-2006, 01:27 PM
You can drive it back if you want by buying a temporary registration/insurance thingy. It's called a vehicle transport license or something?

Annoyingrob
10-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Vehicle transit permit. The only thing you need to get it is proof of insurance.

So, get the serial number for your Skyline, call up your insurance company, and say that you wish to get temporary insurance on the vehicle. I have found that Meloche Monnex will do it over the phone, without a proof of ownership, they will give you 15 days worth of insurance, and fax, or email it to you. Other companies may want proof of ownership. Anyways, take that proof of insurance over to the registry office, and ask for the permit (I think you may have to specify you want it for inter-province). You will need to show the proof of insurance, sometimes you also need a bill of lading. I got away without one, but soemtimes they're up-tight about it.

Then take your permit, and go to Vancouver, and drive the car back.

tentacles
10-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Do you get a plate too with this transit permit?

mx73someday
10-06-2006, 10:24 AM
In BC you can buy a Temporary Operators Permit (T.O.P.). You don't need your own insurance to get one, you simply walk into the ICBC/Autoplan place with a bill of sale and a Form 1 (for Japanese imported cars) and they will sell you a T.O.P. for up to 2 weeks. It includes insurance and temporary registration and is simply two pieces of papers that stick to both front and rear windows.