PDA

View Full Version : Warning Audio Scam In Calgary

tyrone
10-05-2006, 09:51 PM
delete pls

szw
10-05-2006, 09:53 PM
This always happens, in like every city in America too. And they're all from Mtl!

FiveFreshFish
10-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Your buddy willingly gave $1200 to some guys selling untested products out of a minivan at a mall?

QuasarCav
10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Your buddy willingly gave $1200 to some guys selling untested products out of a minivan at a mall?

:werd:

What is wrong with people, I could never part with $1200 CASH that easily.

Tik-Tok
10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Did someone actually FALL for that shit?

LOL LOL LOL

"Hey man, we've got these extra speakers, their not stolen, our warehouse just gave us these extra, so we have to get rid of them"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jesus, this isn't new, I've been approached by the same white minivan in every city I've been in since I've owned a car. Especially around SAIT.

Edit to add: I can't BELIEVE someone actually fell for that I really can't. I am astounded at the stupidity of some people.

max_boost
10-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Oh man that sucks. All the scammers have to do is find one sucker and they are good. DAMN!!!

gatorade
10-05-2006, 11:19 PM
lol and for 1200?

h_s
10-05-2006, 11:23 PM
fucking hell.... sorry but your friend is a dumbass.... buying unknown brand speakers out of a van at the mall... and for 1200 to top it off??? wtf is wrong with people these days

Xtrema
10-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Man, how uninform are you when you still fall for this decade old scam?

BerserkerCatSplat
10-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Man, $1200!?! Those things are worth around $50, tops. Brutal. White Van guys strike again!

240sxTurbo
10-06-2006, 04:18 AM
first of all ur friend is a dumb fuckin ass who would fall for that shit
second of all... u have the plates... call them in?!?! would have been the first thing i did

hahahahhahaha

googe
10-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Confucius says, a fool and his money are soon parted

rip
10-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Man, $1200!?! Those things are worth around $50, tops. Brutal. White Van guys strike again!

Originally posted by 240sxTurbo
second of all... u have the plates... call them in?!?! would have been the first thing i did

hahahahhahaha

My buddy paid $200, and i told him he paid too much. His actually work though and they don't sound that bad.

FivE.SeveN
10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

RobTheGob
10-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by 240sxTurbo

I'm not sure "calling them in" would do much good.

In most cases - these guys know exactly what the law says and doesn't say. I'm betting that what they did was simply sell equipment worth $50 for $1200 - and that is likely not illegal.

If they gave your friend something in writing showing an MSRP of $5000 or had spec sheets making untrue claims - then things are different. But I doubt that they did that.

The Nuance speaker guys had this down to an art - make a person think they are making a killing on the equipment ("you could walk out of here and sell them in the Bargain Finder for twice what you're paying - they're worth $10,000!")l - then swoop in for the kill...

It can be blamed on greed and/or ignorance...

NATE0513
10-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I had this happen to me at the Husky on the corner of 32nd and Barlow. I told the dudes that I had no cash and they said "How much can you get" I told them ... "The cash machine doesnt give quarters" and they got mad and walked away.

nadroj23
10-06-2006, 08:29 AM
hmmm my friend bought a audio system off of these guys he just met. thing was it was a pioneer system that was worth $6000 on their website and worked :dunno: :dunno: ....... still works good 5 months after the fact too.....and it was the same kinda deal, we ordered this and they sent us 2 of them blah blah give us money and here you go. but didnt turn out to be a scam....still in the box and taped and everything tooo....:dunno:

QuasarCav
10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23
hmmm my friend bought a audio system off of these guys he just met. thing was it was a pioneer system that was worth $6000 on their website and worked :dunno: :dunno: ....... still works good 5 months after the fact too.....and it was the same kinda deal, we ordered this and they sent us 2 of them blah blah give us money and here you go. but didnt turn out to be a scam....still in the box and taped and everything tooo....:dunno:

Nope, you got scammed too but you are not smart enough to realize it. You were better off not posting so that you could live happy knowing that you didn't get ripped off.

Sorry.

yellowsnow
10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
One way to tell if it's a scam is offer than a ridiculous lowball. They'll probably accept it, and then you call the cops

LUCKYSTRIKE
10-06-2006, 09:41 AM
I've had guys in a truck try and sell me a home theatre system when I was walking to my car at north hill mall. They just roll up and say "Hey buddy, wanna buy a home theatre system? Its cheap."

im like LOOLOL NO!

Si_FlyGuy
10-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Your friend's a fool. This makes me want to spray my Free Candy van white. :rofl:

DoubleLP
10-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Boy your friend is an IDIOT for giving them $1200 for shit.

I was travelling for work last year and was in Innisfail grabing some McD's for lunch and some guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to buy some home audio equipment for dirt cheap.

I told him yeah but I had to go to the bank and get the cash. If he waited right there I would be back in 5 minutes. So I get in my truck, take down the plate, and leave. I go down the street and turn into the police station that is a block away from the McD's. As I am getting out of the truck a police officer walks out. I tell him what is going on and that the guy is parked over at the McD's. So he gets his partner and I drive back over. The guy is STILL there!! So I pull into the parking lot, with the RCMP behind me. I park down from him and then watch as the RCMP question him on what he is doing. I am not sure if he got arrested or not...but he was there for awhile because I went to an appointment and came back to see that they were still there talking to him.

He more then likely stole it or it "fell off the truck". NO THANKS.

slickk
10-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Shitty deal, i know someone that was taken by a similar scam before. Someone should punch these scammers square in the face and tell them to straighten up.

Tik-Tok
10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23

Chances are likely if your friend opens up his speakers, he'll find the actually speaker itself is a low quality brand, and not Pioneer. They'll still work, but the quality isn't there, and any trained ear would hear it.

rockym20
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Who ever heard of a $6000 Pioneer system? Their most expensive Elite A/V Receiver costs around $1,800, their most expensive Elite DVD-Audio & SACD player costs $1,000, and all of their speakers are pretty cheap. The only way it could be $6,000 is if it came with a nice speaker package from an audiophile speaker company like PSB or Paradigm. Even then, it would have to be a $3,000+ speaker package.

tictactoe2004
10-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by rockym20
Who ever heard of a $6000 Pioneer system? Their most expensive Elite A/V Receiver costs around $1,800, their most expensive Elite DVD-Audio & SACD player costs $1,000, and all of their speakers are pretty cheap. The only way it could be $6,000 is if it came with a nice speaker package from an audiophile speaker company like PSB or Paradigm. Even then, it would have to be a $3,000+ speaker package.

pioneer has sold home theater reciever/amps for $6k before, it was they're pioneer elite stuff. I don't remember the model number, vsx59txi or something similar

szw
10-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
One way to tell if it's a scam is offer than a ridiculous lowball. They'll probably accept it, and then you call the cops

I don't think they are actually doing anything illegal (most of them). These guys have been operating worldwide for a long time.

Oh yeah, and if your friend can locate the manufacturer there is a chance you will get a refund for your money as was reported on a couple sites.

Cruz
10-06-2006, 11:31 AM
It's really too bad that so many people have made negative comments about the guy being an idiot or a dumb ass. There are low points in all of our lives and it just makes it that much worse to get kicked when you are down.

They say that there's a sucker born every minute, and at some point throughout most people's lives, that sucker is them.

You should only hope that in the future, when you make a bad mistake or decision, people are a little less inclined to rub your face in it and instead offer to help.

At times, no comment is the best comment.

DoubleLP
10-06-2006, 11:37 AM
How can we help the guy?? He gave a complete stranger $1200 for stuff out of a van.

Not much we can do there to help now is there?

Cruz
10-06-2006, 11:40 AM
There probably isn't, but not saying anything would have been better than this comment:

Originally posted by DoubleLP
Boy your friend is an IDIOT for giving them $1200 for shit.

kevie88
10-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LOL LOL LOL

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by Xtrema
Man, how uninform are you when you still fall for this decade old scam?

I concur with the above statements.

Akagi Redsuns
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
It's not just speakers either.

While walking across the 7-Eleven parking lot downtown, some guy in a rental Lincoln 1st asked for some directions, then tried to sell me leftover "Giorgio Armani" suits from some sales convention and it would easier to sell to me take back with him. Hmmm. Yeah.....rrrriiight. Was more entertaining than the usual SOB story I get from bums for change I guess. :dunno: Scams are rampant, you know what they say.... "If it's too good to be true...."

10-06-2006, 03:50 PM
hahaha, these same guys came up to me in the Chinook mall parking lot, I talked with them for a while, and got them down from $1000 to $175 hahaha your friend is a IDIOT! I knew it was a scam and didnt end up buying them, but mannn $1200 that is crazzyy!:eek:

CasperWho
10-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
It's not just speakers either.

While walking across the 7-Eleven parking lot downtown, some guy in a rental Lincoln 1st asked for some directions, then tried to sell me leftover "Giorgio Armani" suits from some sales convention and it would easier to sell to me take back with him. Hmmm. Yeah.....rrrriiight. Was more entertaining than the usual SOB story I get from bums for change I guess. :dunno: Scams are rampant, you know what they say.... "If it's too good to be true...."

:rofl: !

i posted this link to someone... who was dense enough to give money for those jackets.

'he was in town to set up an armani store'

$$$! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Weapon_R
10-06-2006, 04:33 PM
haha when will people learn? I knew a guy who bought some "PAS" speakers and amplifier. The white van guy told him that the speakers were "POLK AUDIO SYSTEM" and the guy was fooled into thinking he got a good brand.

He claims that they showed him a brochure with the Polk system but he ended up with a cheap knockoff. You are better off buying some low end speakers from Soundsaround...

barbarian
10-06-2006, 08:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

RobTheGob
10-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You are better off buying some low end speakers from Soundsaround...

At least Soundsaround no longer sells Nuance. That was a major low for them...

They were essentially "white van" speakers in a showroom.

h_s
10-07-2006, 12:37 AM
watch out these dudes are roaming around sait campus in a new 04-5-6ish white explorer

DeeK
10-08-2006, 08:00 PM
These guys approaced me and were asking $1000 a speaker (reg $3200 they claimed).

Basically i gave em a bunch of bullshit, They wanted minmum $200 a speaker, so I chewed em down. got 4 tower speakers for $160.

They obviously are crappy quality but they definently tolerable. Gets the job done :)

Brand name of the speakers i got is "PSD 2.8".

rinny
10-08-2006, 08:35 PM
This scam has been going on for at least a year, not only in Calgary but i've seen these guys in Red Deer too. Who in their right mind would buy speakers out of the back of a rusty-ass van?

drox
10-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LOL LOL LOL My friend called me and was like "OMG MAN YOU NEED TO COME CHECK OUT THIS TIGHT STEREO EQUIPMENT OMG ITS SO NICE". After talking for a few minutes I hung up on him. I can appreciate a friend keeping an eye out on a good deal for me... but to assume these guys are legit, I have to assume my friend is a retard. :banghead:

Tik-Tok
10-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by rinny
This scam has been going on for at least a year,

Lol, at least a year? Try a decade, the first time I was approached was when I owned my `67 Cougar, and that was in `97.

GQBalla
10-23-2006, 01:55 AM
LOL omg just on friday 2 young guys (cacausion) came up to my in a white truck pops his ugly ass dome out and hes like "yeoooo homie want some dope ass home theater equipment?"

so right away i thought of this - juss to play along i was like yeah man show me what you have - his partner reverses his truck and hits the curb goes up and back down. AHHAH lol than he comes out with this brochure and opens up his lid.

looked all nice and everything and he starts showing me his brochure hes like yeah man 4 gs for this bad boi - lol i was like why would the manufacturer put the price tag of $3999.00 on the barcode ? hes like i dunno, i asked him how he got all this and goes ummmmm im a distributor... at this point a random behind goes up and says that shit is JUNK don't waste your time ahahaahah - and the wannabe white boy starts gettin in his face NO ITS NOT blah blah blah -
any how i was at the bank and wanted to get in line so i was like hey i read about your shitty little scam on the internet, get the fuck out of here; save your spit and my time and get another job ahahah than his buddy spun the tires a little and left!!

mattman324g
11-22-2006, 05:16 PM
They are down in New Brunswick now... lol... i gottem down to 150 tho then came home and realised.. lol .. well imma go drive around and look for them..

RawB8figure
01-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by RobTheGob

At least Soundsaround no longer sells Nuance. That was a major low for them...

They were essentially "white van" speakers in a showroom.

well you are right they are not selling nuance, but they are now selling ikon which is made by nuance. So you get a speaker with lots of drivers and a built in powered sub. Same shit different name. I notice the price wasn't as ridiculous as nuance, but still not really worth it.

Kobe
01-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Hahaha this is almost as bad as the versace guys coming up to you, trying to sell you the suites, right before they go back to italy..

:rofl: :rofl:

Ven
01-03-2007, 04:34 PM
A friend of mine was approached by these guys in the parking lot of Mopac, ended up buying the speakers right there. It all seemed fishy but I wasn't a lot of cash after working them down for a bit. When we got home and looked up the brand we learned he bought scammer speakers haha. But damn they actually sounded pretty decent, looked great, and cold really pound. I couldn't imagine paying $1200 though!! I wish I could remember the "brand" name.....

EDIT: I remember now, Theatre Research :) 4 speaks and a sub was $300 I think.

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/81/f0/f8b9_1.JPG

Whitetiger
01-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Yea but for that kind of money, what type of warrant do you get? I'd rather pay $500-600 at Future Shop for like a Panosonic with the factory 1 year plus using my gold Visa (which doubles factory warranty)

JMHO

Nissanaddict
01-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Or get the same (or better) prices on boxing day anywhere else, (or the big 4 sale, or whatever). Man....hahah...van speakers.

Supa Dexta
01-03-2007, 07:52 PM
ha.. they got my buddy for like 200, 2 yrs ago.. So I go over and see them, and tell them he got had.. haha.. He then found some idiot to buy them off him for 250...

:rofl: