PDA

View Full Version : Where are the cheap computers in Calgary?

no_joke
04-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Where can you find cheap computers in town? I'm looking for something relatively older, like Pentium II-III 600 MHz range, to set up a little network at home.

TIA

D'z Nutz
04-29-2003, 10:07 PM
If you're looking for something cheap, you best just take your time and check out newsgroups (ie: calgary.forsale) and websites for deals that pop up daily. If you're patient, you can usually score some good deals.

I landed myself a dual PIII board for $60 a few weeks back! W00t!

Stratus_Power
04-29-2003, 11:06 PM
so ask some ppl on www.casemp.com you'll for sure find someone selling older comps like that

Weapon_R
04-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Computer surplus is good for used systems, they are extremely helpful.

Calgary newsgroups are really good too. But no support if anything happens

van
04-30-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Computer surplus is good for used systems, they are extremely helpful.

Calgary newsgroups are really good too. But no support if anything happens

lmao... Computer Surplus eh? That's where I spend most of my days.. hahahaha

cipher
04-30-2003, 07:36 AM
techtronics is pretty good too

RC-Cola
04-30-2003, 10:00 AM
The Bargain Finder...

Synapxe
04-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Futureshop in Shawnessy, we have a computer for 299.99!

Its an e-machine
Celeron 600MHz
196MB Ram
20 GB HD
56K Modem

no_joke
04-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Okay, thanks a lot everyone for all the help. I really do appreciate it. But first, where's Computer Surplus? Has anyone else actually recently bought a computer with the kind of specs I posted?

Thanks again

D'z Nutz
04-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by cipher
techtronics is pretty good too

Techtronics is the WORST place you can buy major computer parts. Customer service licks nuts, and if something fucks up, they have no return policy, which means you pretty much have to go through the manufacturer and that can take a long time. I do, however, go there to pick up cheap stuff like CDR's, cd spindles, and a cheapass keyboard.

Originally posted by RC-Cola
The Bargain Finder...

Bargain Finder licks nuts too, cause everything is so overpriced. Nobody that sells on there has any idea how much their stuff is worth.

Stratus_Power
04-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Techtronics is the WORST place you can buy major computer parts. Customer service licks nuts, and if something fucks up, they have no return policy, which means you pretty much have to go through the manufacturer and that can take a long time. I do, however, go there to pick up cheap stuff like CDR's, cd spindles, and a cheapass keyboard.

:werd: avoid that place at all cost, i've heard some pretty bad stores about that place..

ie some guy bought a mobo along w/ other stuff.. and he found a big ass crack in the mobo BEFORE he even leave the store and they still refused to refund or give him a new one..

Weapon_R
04-30-2003, 12:38 PM
There is a computer surplus right beside McMahon Stadium, near Stadium Nissan.

It's on Crowchild, across from McMahon stadium. I've bought mine from there and they STILL do small warranty work on it for free - 2 years after warranty was finished. I really like them for that.

D'z Nutz
04-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

:werd: avoid that place at all cost, i've heard some pretty bad stores about that place..

My dad needed the audio cable to hook up his cdrom to his sound card, so he went and got one from them. When he found out he asked for the wrong wire, he went to go take it back. They wouldn't even take back a $3 cable.

no_joke
05-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Yeah, Techtronics sales reps are bitches (make that MAJOR bitches) but I found the service dept to be pretty good. I actually got my main computer from them but once we had it for a few days, we found out it had a major problem of spontaneously restarting so we brought it to the service dept(bypassing sales). They did a major overhaul of the system and fixed the problem in about a week with little hassle.

But anyways, thanks again to everyone for the advice. Now that school's out, I can go check some of this stuff out.

GTS Jeff
05-01-2003, 12:35 PM
im surprised no1 has mentioned memory express...

they are wellpriced but dont like to bargain...

RC-Cola
05-01-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
im surprised no1 has mentioned memory express...

they are wellpriced but dont like to bargain...

Memory Express is great if you know what your looking for. It always reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the Soup Nazi...