PDA

View Full Version : Calgary winter's

hoamic11
10-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey, so basically this will be my first whole winter in calgary, and was curious to know how bad it gets here, cause i'm in the zone looking for winter tires, and don't wanna spend too much, so just trying to get a feel for how bad it gets here.

was/have looked at the kumho kw17 and kw19 (unstudded), any reviews, nokian wr/rsi and blizzacks are just too much money for me, so what can expect a normal winter here to be like?

I mean i'm originally from regina, and winters there are worst, and why i would usually run studded tires there, but i've come up to calgary during the feb. reading week and acouple of times at xmas, and it's alright, nothign to bad that i've seen. however i have been told that it's illegal to run studded tires here as well they are not needed.

thx

Grip172
10-06-2006, 12:25 PM
it varies

all i can say is COOOOME ON GLOBAL WARMING :D

hoamic11
10-06-2006, 12:28 PM
hahahaha, yeah the less snow would be good cause then i wouldn't have to buy winter tires, but it'd be nice to find out,

i'm searching around and have got ppl talking about nokain, hankooks, kumho's

i mean i'm kinda interested into the performance winter tires like the kumho kw17 or yoko avs winters, since this is my first winter living in calgary, i'm not really sure what to expect

Ripper
10-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Gets cold, doesn't snow that much. Chinooks melt the snow, and then it gets a bit icey somtimes.

GQBalla
10-06-2006, 12:45 PM
if you know how to drive through the winters in regina, youll be fine in calgary.

just drive more cautious

CivicTunr
10-06-2006, 12:57 PM
haha yah, i used to live in saskatchewan, and the roads are so much worse there, in saskatoon, they didnt shovel any snow, or ice/gravel the roads, so it was like a skating rink, if you can drive there you can drive anywhere in the world, also last winter i just used all season tires, and i drove out to the mountains every weekend, so there was usually a bit of snow, but i seemed to do good, on all seasons.

SilverBoost
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Your biggest fear of winter drivign in calgary should be other drivers.

TIP: The first time it snows enough to cover the roads, stay home and laff at all the accident reports. Typical reaction: "Oh no, there's a flaky white substance falling from the sky and my car doesn't stop as quick as it used to and I am having trouble seeing! I've never seen anything like this before! Not since last winter" :rolleyes:

Xtrema
10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Hills. If your area has lots of them (NW/SW), invest in a set of winters.

QuasarCav
10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
Your biggest fear of winter drivign in calgary should be other drivers.

This is my driving mantra.

kdwebber
10-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Winter tires will work best but you can manage with all season tires as well. Defintely no need for studded tires. The last few winters have been pretty tame.

max_boost
10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
It is wise to go with some performance winter tires. H or V rated. There will probably be more dry days than snow days so you want your tires to last more than two winters.

Most people can get through it with all seasons because they are either too cheap to buy tires or just have superior driving skills.

mo_money2supe
10-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Before last year, I had never had a need to buy winter tires. All-seasons got me around just fine. Got stuck once in awhile, but that was maybe once or twice in the whole season, so really, there's nothing to much to worry about.

But then last year, I bought myself a nice set of Hakkappeliitta's and boy, was there a difference in winter traction! I mean, I kinda needed them out here in Saskatoon, but even when I went back to Calgary, it made loads of difference. This coming winter though, I'll be upgrading to studded Hankooks :D, but it's not like Saskatoon will have to worry about me putting potholes around, they're everywhere already!!

Anywho, it's realy up to you if you want winters. If you don't have the money, don't worry about it. If you already have a set though, just toss those on and you'll definitely enjoy them.

hoamic11
10-06-2006, 02:04 PM
yeah that's the thing, i have as set of studded winters that i just bought last year, but if the winters here are more tame/mild then i dont' think i wanna use em, just b/c i don't wanna wear the studs even more when i dont' need to. In sask, winter tires are needed cause it snows so much more, but i was considering a set of performance winters

I'm in the NE, so don't have to worry too much about hills

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
i ran around on all seasons till this year, just b/c the winters came with the car... its not "needed" but deff a plus

hoamic11
10-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
i ran around on all seasons till this year, just b/c the winters came with the car... its not "needed" but deff a plus

for regina, last year it wasn't bad, so i think the set of performance winters would have been ok, however for the past winters, damn i was glad i had studs, too much snow, boo to shovelling da big driveway

definitely a plus to have em but, i'm sure a decent set of all seasons would be ok, just gotta find some, or decent winter rubber for a good price

2.2vtec
10-06-2006, 02:46 PM
For those of you who will be rocking winters tires when are you planning on putting them on if not aleady on?

rockym20
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
BTW, Alberta is one of the few places where studded tires are allowed year round. Not really sure why someone would want to run them in the summer though...

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
^^ apparently, you can stud all seasons, that way when summer rolls around, they're worn off, and regular all seasons... not sure if thats true or not... i was told by some co-worker lady who drives a van that got them put on

max_boost
10-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
For those of you who will be rocking winters tires when are you planning on putting them on if not aleady on? Just keep an eye on the forecast. Weather is so weird, might get one big snow fall in early November and then not see snow until January again. If you have a H or V rated tire, then you don't have to worry about the tires wearing out so fast.

hoamic11
10-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by rockym20
BTW, Alberta is one of the few places where studded tires are allowed year round. Not really sure why someone would want to run them in the summer though...

I don't run studded winter tires in the summer, i have summer tires, however i was trying to find out some more info to how the winters in calgary are b/c i have never lived here for the whole winter season, i have come up for a fee days in feb, or dec, but if my car was here i had studded tires

as to why i have a set of studded winters is b/c I use to live in Regina,SK, where the winters are more harsh, colder temps, lots more snow, crappy streets and all
and now that i'm basically living here for good b/c i recently graduated and have found a FT job downtown, i'm trying to find out some more info

but what i do know or have been told is :
- studded tires aren't allowed it,
- as well the winters here are much more mild b/c of the chinooks you get

at the moment with the 16's i'm running have a set of dunlop h rated (i think) summer tires, and i'm pretty sure they won't really work well in a light snow

drox
10-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
It is wise to go with some performance winter tires. H or V rated. There will probably be more dry days than snow days so you want your tires to last more than two winters.

Most people can get through it with all seasons because they are either too cheap to buy tires or just have superior driving skills. I think you can cross superior driving skills off your list when you're talking about the majority of calgary drivers. :thumbsdow

GC84ever
10-07-2006, 12:28 AM
:werd:
you don't need snow for car pile-ups, just a bit of rain. And then you know the tailgaters will be smashing themselves together; because they don't leave enough space.

FiveFreshFish
10-07-2006, 12:49 AM
For those of you who will be rocking winters tires when are you planning on putting them on if not aleady on?

Usually after Remembrance Day.

New2Talon
10-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Last year I had "performance all seasons" on stock rims (toyo proxy zf-4) and with the LIGHTEST snowfall I was going sideways, driving under speed limit but going uphill. Spent $400 on kumoh kw19's and didnt have a problem the rest of the season. Even through all the dry parts they handled well and they still look 90+%.

Will be looking into getting a set of steelies for them this year though (last year I had to swap them out on stock rims)

rc2002
10-07-2006, 01:03 AM

Just got mine on today - wanted to beat the rush, plus I don't want to wait until it snows and then scramble to get them on.

Now I can sit back and hope for snow. ;)

b_t
10-07-2006, 01:11 AM
I've had mine on all week.. mostly since I sold my 18s.

hoamic11
10-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by drox
I think you can cross superior driving skills off your list when you're talking about the majority of calgary drivers. :thumbsdow

New2Talon Last year I had "performance all seasons" on stock rims (toyo proxy zf-4) and with the LIGHTEST snowfall I was going sideways, driving under speed limit but going uphill. Spent $400 on kumoh kw19's and didnt have a problem the rest of the season.

+1, yeah the proxes FZ-4 weren't the greatest for winter, i had em on my car and man, it was just like slicks on ice, but now my KW19's are studded, so don't think i wanna use em right now

SilverBoost
10-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I actually have FZ-4s on my summer wheels. Seem to be OK for summer and rain, but yeah I wouldn't chance them for and real winter driving. Problem is that Calgary mostly deals with low temps and slick roads, not snow cover, so you need a tire that will stick to ice and cold roads. All seaons can get you by, but you can't really "drive" with them.... you can just get around. But a really good winter tire will allow you to drive in winter, not just go from A to B with nervous hesitation.

I'll be throwing on my black steelies and winters as soon as I know there are def no more Secret Streets. I bought them when I drove for the first winter on the east coast and then ended up storing the car anyhow, but the lack of snow out here allows me to drive pretty much all year, but I still prefer the winter tires to my al seasons. Plus I don't beat up my summer wheels with all the rocks they throw down here.

djayz
10-07-2006, 10:25 AM
ive had my winters on for 2 weeks now
stupid snow reports.
now i have a flat it better not snow!

but a decent set of winter tires will do you just fine
studded tires arent illegal in the winter but if you dont take them off when the season is over you could get into trouble but i highly doubt youll get pulled over.

ive driven on all seasons for the last 3 years and no problems...one major spinout no accidents.this will be my first year with winters...we will see how it goes.

hoamic11
10-07-2006, 10:28 AM
yeah, i guess how icy or slick do the roads get here then, cause there's not much snow on the roads

hoamic11
10-07-2006, 10:35 AM
well i was at kal-tire asking about an OOP, and they said that studs are illegal, so that's why i've been saying that, but since hte winters aren't so bad here, i dont' know if i wanna use em, as well i've been told their not needed

djayz
10-07-2006, 10:37 AM
a friend of mine had them put on at kal-tire they said they are not legal otherwise they wouldnt do them.

anyways studs wont be necessary. Drive safe and youll be fine plus the noise those damn studs make on the road gets annoying.

winter tires should do you just fine and CMS has some good deals going on right now for packages if your still looking.

edit: you can get your tires sipped

Siping
Looking to improve your traction on snow, ice or in wet weather? Consider tire siping - a process that cuts tiny slits across the tread of tires.

• Siping can be performed on new tires or on used tires with at least 50% of the original tread left.
• Our Saf-Tee siping machine cuts thousands of slits across the face of the tire tread.
• These slits create thousands of sharp edges to provide extra traction in poor weather conditions.
• The slits are very thin. Resulting in no loss of rubber on the tread face.
• The results are similar in performance to studding your tires.
• Siping improves the traction of all-season or multipurpose tires.

With siping, you will also enjoy improved braking and acceleration, extended tire life and a softer ride.

hoamic11
10-07-2006, 11:06 AM
how much does the Siping cost to due, as well who does it?

Teggy2nr
10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Just get a decent set of all seasons. With the chinooks we get every couple weeks the roads are mostly clear and dry pavement is hell on winter tires

AE92_TreunoSC
10-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I spend money on winter tyres if the car is new, or valuable, or you transport your kids around.

I'd say the best right now is the Toyo Observes, 2nd is the Blizzaks, and 3rd is the KW17's

All those tyres are freaking amazing and will ensure your car has better control then anyone else :D (good for swerving around the rednecks in camaros with original tyres from 1985)

If your car has a traction control system and ABS, I'd just see if it could get up a steep hill with its all seasons.

djayz
10-07-2006, 05:45 PM
any tire shop should be able to do sipping
i know for a fact that kal-tire does it.

frozenrice
10-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Most people can get through it with all seasons because they are either too cheap to buy tires or just have superior driving skills.

Why would you have to worry about the speed rating of a WINTER TIRE?

FiveFreshFish
10-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I spend money on winter tyres if the car is new, or valuable, or you transport your kids around.

Isn't YOUR life worth spending the money on proper tires too?

hoamic11
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Isn't YOUR life worth spending the money on proper tires too?

+1

i'm wondering how kumho kw17 or yokohama avs winters are

max_boost
10-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Why would you have to worry about the speed rating of a WINTER TIRE?

Lower speed rating i.e. Q/T=softer tire. Since it's not always snowing and there will be plenty of dry/chinook days, I would like a performance winter tire H/V to compliment my car.

My Q rated Blizzak WS50 lasted me two seasons and that's it. My H rated Michelin Pilot Alpins are going on to their 4th season.

max_boost
10-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by hoamic11

+1

i'm wondering how kumho kw17 or yokohama avs winters are

Bang for the buck on the KW17 - V rated performance tire. If you want a softer tire that grips really well in the snow, the KW19 - T rated tire is also a great choice. I'm a Kumho lover :D

hoamic11
10-08-2006, 06:49 PM
i've got the KW19, luv the design, aggressive tread, very nice, however mine are studded, so don't really want to use em if it's not worth it, to wear the studs down

guessboi
10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
is the kumhos' that good for the price?
I am getting KW17 for my mx5 and the KW19 for the aerio. :D

A2VR6
10-08-2006, 09:25 PM

Usually around Halloween i'll throw mine on.

Have a set of kumho KW-19's on the VW and a set of Toyo Garrit HT's on the RSX... I kinda prefer the Kumhos more... less noisy and cheaper!

frozenrice
10-08-2006, 09:38 PM

Lower speed rating i.e. Q/T=softer tire. Since it's not always snowing and there will be plenty of dry/chinook days, I would like a performance winter tire H/V to compliment my car.

My Q rated Blizzak WS50 lasted me two seasons and that's it. My H rated Michelin Pilot Alpins are going on to their 4th season.

I see your point now. Aren't Michelins usually a harder compound in general anyways? I used the set Michelin winters that came with my car for about 10 years. The only thing I didn't like about them was that they were noisy on dry pavement. I'm not sure what the Alpins are like compared to those, but I'd imagine a lot quieter. I finally broke down last winter and used my Ralphbucks to get a set of Hankook WS404s. Definately a lot quieter but I feel like I'm driving a Buick in terms of handling. I'll have to see how long they last me. :thumbsup:

HuMz
10-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Majority of people I know just stick too all-season's because you can get by just fine with them, but once you switch over to winter's you notice a big difference and will probably never switch back.

hoamic11
10-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by guessboi
is the kumhos' that good for the price?
I am getting KW17 for my mx5 and the KW19 for the aerio. :D

what kind of price are you getting for your tires?

Tha VZA
10-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by djayz
a friend of mine had them put on at kal-tire they said they are not legal otherwise they wouldnt do them.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

let me read this again, what i think you are saying is...

a friend of mine had studded tires put on at kal tire, kal tire said studded tires are not legal, and therefore would not put them on his car

wtf dude? contradiction or what

explain

EDIT: i checked it out and studded tires are LEGAL in alberta...so are chains...so ya...studded ftw!

ciao

nonsane
10-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I had a set of pirelli winters for my car.

These tires were AMAZING. The first snowfall i went to a parking lot and tried to do donuts in the car( i had no e-brake at the time) and i couldn't.

The problem is i left them on for too long and they only lasted me one winter.

HRD2PLZ
10-10-2006, 04:39 PM
I bought a set od KW-19's and steelie's for my TL last year. It was the first year I have run with winter tires. I don't know why I didn't invest in them earlier. It made a WORLD of a difference in the TL. I would definitely recommend a set of winter tires. I am actually trying to hunt down a set of Arctic Alpins or Blizzaks for my 4Runner for this year :thumbsup:

HRD2PLZ
10-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by hoamic11

what kind of price are you getting for your tires?

IIRC I paid less than $900 for KW-19's (205/60/16 I think) mounted, balanced and installed with OEM Honda steelie's. Oh, and that price even included some 16" hubcaps which I didn't bother using :rofl:

Speed_69
10-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by djayz
any tire shop should be able to do sipping
i know for a fact that kal-tire does it.

anyone know how much sipping costs? i wanna do them to my all-seasons after hearing the benefits.

bspot
10-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

I'd just see if it could get up a steep hill with its all seasons.

I heard that helps you when you need to stop really fast in the winter....