PDA

View Full Version : Importing car from the US

silva27
10-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok so I did my research and everything but I havent find the answers to my questions.

I have sold my 93 GSR and planning to buy another one (92 GSR) from the states. The guy agree to drive the car and meet up in Vancouver, BC.

So the question is, since the car is already in Canada and I didnt have to pay GST or duty tax. Do I still have to? Or am I require to take the car back to custom and do all the paperworks there?

I never import a car from the states before but by getting the guy to drive down here with all the paperworks(title) and stuff, I thought it would make it easier for me to just get the car inspected and insure, is this ok?

Or I have to take the car back to the border and call RIV for further instructions?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

MrPid
10-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Contact the RIV for sure, but I'm 90% sure you'll end up taking it back to the border. If you're importing from the US then I believe you're supposed to present the vehicle to the US customs as well for exportation and buddy that drives it to you might be in contradiction of export law if he does it that way...

Good luck...

silva27
10-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I hope that is not the case...I soppose going through a auto broker saves time? And do they do private sales for you too?

Kobe
10-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Since the car is still registered in the USA, you will need 2 get the paperwork done still...
and it will not save you any cash

silva27
10-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Oh yes, of course.

dsmturbo
10-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Or they may Seize the car, as it was brought up illegally. If the intention when he crosses the Border is to sell and leave the car here, but he does not state that fact, you may find yourself without a car period.

They do not look lightly on false declarations and entry.

Freestylin
10-06-2006, 10:27 PM
would you guys know any websites where i can look for private sellers located in the US if i was in the search for a car from there??

00Civic
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
the title of the car has to be at customs for 72 hours before you can legally bring the car into canada

Kobe
10-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Freestylin
would you guys know any websites where i can look for private sellers located in the US if i was in the search for a car from there??

www.autotrader.com is what i used...

just find a zipcode in LA or Anywhere and search!

silva27
10-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by dsmturbo
Or they may Seize the car, as it was brought up illegally. If the intention when he crosses the Border is to sell and leave the car here, but he does not state that fact, you may find yourself without a car period.

They do not look lightly on false declarations and entry.

Hmm...very interesting. So I have no choice but to get the car myself. Ok then, thanks for the info.

silva27
10-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by 00Civic
the title of the car has to be at customs for 72 hours before you can legally bring the car into canada

Damn!! Really? Gosh, there so fcuking anal about everything. Well I better inform that dude that I'm not going through with it unless I go pick it up or I might just as well get a broker to do that and pay the damn $150 fee and I wouldnt have to move an inch :D

Thanks for the info guys, appreciated!