PDA

View Full Version : City Report: Eliminate 80 playground zones

barbarian
10-06-2006, 08:38 PM
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=/0-0&fp=452706886cd80b97&ei=txInRcbXF4XOpwKNs-XNBw&url=http%3A//calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2006/10/05/1956172-sun.html&cid=0

Let's hope they mean those "traffic calming" playground zones installed in communities of privledge without a playground in sight. You know, like the 2-mile zone on Elbow Dr.

Tik-Tok
10-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Ald. Madeleine King said taking the reins off drivers in even a few areas where children gather is a potentially dangerous idea

Well in that case, we'd better make the whole damned city a 30km/h zone alderman.

Xtrema
10-07-2006, 12:25 AM
I think that if the road is over 2 lanes/side, has traffic signal for crossing, and playground area fenced in, no sign required.

lint
10-07-2006, 12:44 AM
thought this was an intersting point in the article

Edmonton has only four speed-reduced playground zones with all others marked by signs, which hasn't led to safety issues, Nelson said.

He said Calgary is almost unique in Canada with some 1,000 reduced-speed zones.

Do the reduced speed zones in Calgary reduce accidents proportionally relative to other cities without reduced speed zones?

ie does Calgary have 250 times fewer accidents around playgrounds than Edmonton has?

hampstor
10-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Well in that case, we'd better make the whole damned city a 30km/h zone alderman.

that's like some of the side streets in Airdrie... why on earth they make the roads a 30 zone, then they put up 'playground zone/school zone max 30' signs up in the newer areas is beyond me.

I don't think it makes the roads any safer, if anything it makes the driver more impatient and impatience + driving = disaster waiting to happen.

Eleanor
10-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

I don't think it makes the roads any safer, if anything it makes the driver more impatient and impatience + driving = disaster waiting to happen.

That and they glance at their speedo way too often to make sure they won't get busted.

DJ Lazy
10-07-2006, 09:28 AM
How about we keep the playground zones, but eliminate 80% of the kids?:rofl:

Black Gts
10-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Thats good because my joke always was to raise the speed limit in playground zones. The reason is technically that, the longer your in the zone you increase the chance of hitting a kid. Drivers become complacement and dont pay as much attention at 30 as they would at lets say.....70. The vehicle would pass through quicker lowering the time spent in the zone, therefore lowering the chance of hitting a child. The childeren would also become smarter as a result, because you get less of a chance to live at 70kms, as you do at 30kms...

*Reminder*
This was just a joke.......Calm down

soupey
10-08-2006, 10:08 AM
makes no sense to have a playground zone after 830...when the majority kids are getting into school 8-830am...so why the hell are we allowed to go through at full speed when most kids are going to be crossing the roads...then slow down when most of them are in class?...uhh...:banghead:

khtm
10-08-2006, 10:45 AM
"I just feel it's completely going in the wrong direction -- as we get more drivers trying to get around faster to save a few seconds in a day, we need to care about the safety of our children first."

Kyle's mom anyone??? :eek:

HuMz
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I think that if the road is over 2 lanes/side, has traffic signal for crossing, and playground area fenced in, no sign required.

:werd: , minapore is a perfect example of that.

Toms-SC
10-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Should eliminate them all

Canmorite
10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
That Eblow 30 zone is HORRID.

NGRPLZ.NET
10-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Black Gts
Thats good because my joke always was to raise the speed limit in playground zones. The reason is technically that, the longer your in the zone you increase the chance of hitting a kid. Drivers become complacement and dont pay as much attention at 30 as they would at lets say.....70. The vehicle would pass through quicker lowering the time spent in the zone, therefore lowering the chance of hitting a child. The childeren would also become smarter as a result, because you get less of a chance to live at 70kms, as you do at 30kms...

*Reminder*
This was just a joke.......Calm down That makes sense.. but the meatballs in power went at the risk from the reaction standpoint instead of length of exposure. It would also be better on the environment your way. With fences.